Piaggio Fly 4 stroke Tuning

Discussion in 'Scooter Tuning' started by JunkYard, Nov 27, 2011.

1. JunkYard

JunkYard New Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Fly 50
    So ive had a piaggio fly 50 4stroke for the past year that i picked up for 300, running on 32mph -.- and fed up being left behind. Been trying to sell it for the past 3/4 months, and doesnt look like its going anywhere, couldnt get a 125 til i was rid of it, but cant get it gone so ive looked into messing around with it. I know that 4 strokes are rarely tuned but its my only option at the moment, heres a list of things im thinking of / done doing to it. let me know if it will have a change in power thanks.

Derestricted tecnigas silent pro exhaust (only other exhaust available for it)
    Polini rollers (im thinking 5g? thoughts please)
    Polini drive belt
    Polini 80cc cylinder kit

Thats it so far, i am new to this so sorry if ive missed crutial things. Also looking into changing my air box to a filter?

Opinions please, thanks

2. stkflote

stkflote Member

Rides:
    zip 2t cat
    are you sure you can get a 80cc kit four the four stroke engine? remember theres a bit more to a four stroke than
    two stroke ,such as timing chain valve clearances ,easy if you know what you are doing ,if not get some help or leave it alone

3. scott15

scott15 Member

Rides:
    Want an NRG MC3
    You can get them, but there isnt much point. After all those modifications you will still only see around 42mph.

4. JunkYard

JunkYard New Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Fly 50
    Okay thanks for replies, at 42mph i still wouldnt mind, it would be a great leap from 30, what if i was to just stick with the exhaust? and perhaps belt would i be getting over 37? thanks

5. m1tch

m1tch Member

If its a 4 stroke have you checked the tappet clearances etc and that the cam is correctly set - ie not 1 tooth out

6. JunkYard

JunkYard New Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Fly 50
    No i haven't what is that for exactly? sorry for lack of knowledge.

7. m1tch

m1tch Member

The space between the rocker arm and the valve needs to be a certain clearance, if its too far out the valves won't open fully - less performance, if the clearance is too tight the valve will never close and seal the cylinder - less performance

I have found a few guides here, im guessing its the same engine as some of the Vespas, might be worth checking if you have done everything else.

http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic61766

8. JunkYard

JunkYard New Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Fly 50
    okay thanks alot, urm i havent done anything to it yet, the list i put up was what i was going to do, but il also look into this too thanks

9. m1tch

m1tch Member

Probably best to check stuff like the carb being clean, the fuel filter changed, the belts in good condition etc first

10. scott15

scott15 Member

Rides:
    Want an NRG MC3
    It will probably do around 37. But it will still be awful uphills, and will still lack any kind of power. All 4T 50cc's are like that.

11. Jonnymarrw00t

Jonnymarrw00t Moderator Staff Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate
    Ever thought of converting it too a two stroke piaggio zip engine ? Wouldn't be too hard to do.

12. stkflote

stkflote Member

Rides:
    zip 2t cat
    to convert it to a two stroke means he needs a two engine

13. Jonnymarrw00t

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate
    Well I guessed that ? But it's Cheaper to fit a two stroke engine and buy a loom than buying all that for a four stroke ?

14. stkflote

stkflote Member

Rides:
    zip 2t cat
    buying those bits for his four stroke will not make it go much better, the 100cc fourstroke piaggios only
    just do 50mph and it takes some getting there ,i have a fairly new 100cc piaggio

plus two nrg,s two strokes both faster than the 100cc

15. m1tch

m1tch Member

You taken the variator restrictor collar out?

16. Jonnymarrw00t

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate
    Forgot to add. Could you please change your title. Thank-you.

17. JunkYard

JunkYard New Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Fly 50
    New exhaust fitted, aparently my scooter was already derestricted o.0 . took it to a local garage and they checked it all over, did nothing to it, as i set off i was suddenly reaching 47mph on a straight : D and yeah sure i would, but how do i change it? :confused:

18. Jonnymarrw00t

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate
    Changed it for you :)

19. JunkYard

JunkYard New Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Fly 50
    ah great thanks

20. FLENG2008

FLENG2008 Member

Rides:
    04 vx 125
    he cant change his own title once the thread is posted?

xplicit vehicle likes this.