Piaggio AC 2T problem! :(

Discussion in 'Maxiscooter Tuning' started by bertie, Jun 22, 2010.

1. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    ye exactly... its in too "low a gear" ratio wise between the clutch and variator hence lots of revs with little movement.. all your doing is trippeling the wear per mile on the parts. im off to change mine. pissing me off now (i ride on a 3 lane carridgeway to work for an hour... bore.com and its not good having too light rollers in those conditions. stock engine kills anything prittymuch to 40 but then just revs... but ye, change em. theres mph WITH fuel econimy hiding inside your bike. spend a little to do alot...

as for poorly produced carbs... around town and blips here and there you dont notice petrol use on a scoot.. even tunned ones. ye it drinks a bit of fuel, but its not untill your doing serious mialage on a comparable journey. ive noticed serious differences simply by using a different filter (obviously setup to suit)
    im not trying to make a point, im mearly saying that it depends entirely on what the bike is used for/the other parts on it. road tunning is not race tunning. people turn there road bike into a race buike all the time. im talking commutable research and development, the sort of wich went in to making the engines we all bastardise with tunning goodies caining cranks and basicly thrashing stupid ammounts of fuel. slapping any chineese part on your bike is upto you... i wouldent, im not stupid enough to rely on chineese engineering (yes, i rely on my bikes as transport... it breaks, i loose a minimum of £100 just missing work/getting home/fixing the thing) id rather buy reputable parts... not unknown origin parts made by 10,000 different people in 1000 different factorys and sold by 100 different people. yes a flatslide carb is a good carb, its main advantage is supplying any engine wiht more fuel and air.. doh. im talking driving a bike about (think first what bike it is and secondly about the "my runabout" prefix in the first post) in wich case putting any carb thats bigger would be a waste of time. you want power wihtout noise heat and fuel consumption. this is the aim, its not gonna happen as piaggio have done a good job putting the bikes together wiht a mix of all the above (the years of fucking about with carb sizes exhausts port timings and so on they did for years befor releasing an engine) the boy has come on wiht a problem, were now telling him to throw parts at it for what reason exactly?

sort your rollers. if you want some more poke bash the gears out an throw in a 180 set/gear up.. maybe a 150/172 and leave it at that. well, if you can get your hands on a stock runner pipe do that as there slightly better. (they used the pipe on the 150 version of your bike) if however you wanna go faster than that get another bike... its too heavy to tune and will just drink fuel

2. capri dave

capri dave Active Member

I beleive Bertie asked about carbs, and blue dwarf suggested a carb :good:

3. bertie

bertie Active Member

Rides:
    '93 Skipper LX125
    Im not gonna fit a flatside carb im just going to get a delly 20.5mm standard carb which I hope will be better than the 17yr old mikuni vm20 currently on there.

But im going to sort the rollers out first, I might also get a new variator, pully, and rear pully unit with a new clutch. All standard stuff no malossi shit. Then maybe a 172 kit and runner exhaust once I have it running perfect as a 125.

4. Blue dwarf

Blue dwarf New Member

Then your going to have to fit a bigger carb anyway if you go down the 172 and pipe route. :banghead:
    Why not just do it now instead of fucking around later?

As for the 20mm carbs...they are inadequate..simple, any 125 capacity ROAD going two stroke runs at least a 24mm mikuni (take the old school RD`s and Suzuki X5/7 who ran 26mm and the lower tuned DT125/175 than ran 24mm).

This is not about Race tuning.. it`s about matching the requirements of the capacity with fuel and air delivery and Yanaha and Suzuki have been doing that for years.

Anyway I`m not going to get into a pissing contest, I`ve said my piece.

5. capri dave

capri dave Active Member

minors got it in for the koso/oko carbs and wont listen to reason im afraid...

ive been using an oko 24mm on a 70 for about 12 months, and it runs brilliant, i can get about 45 mpg on a rapid mid race tuned engine...

but if pwk's use 3 times more fuel as minor says maybe i ought to bolt a dellorto on and enjoy 135 mpg, wait!!! i had a dellorto i know exactly how they run :good:

my piece said too :bye:

6. bertie

bertie Active Member

Rides:
    '93 Skipper LX125
    So what kinda PWK carbs can I use? I kinda need one that could be a direct swap with the mikuni VM20, cant really be running pre-mix on this because its an everyday bike.

7. monty9120

monty9120 Active Member

Rides:
    Vespa gts300
    right first of all chuck that back plate with the screws in the bin. your running the rollers dry so you dont need it

if the belt is that far down and when you took the front pulley off the belt isnt at the bottom right up to the big tube that goes through the variator

im going with either a weak or fucked contra spring myself. can you get hold of another clutch to illiminate it

8. monty9120

monty9120 Active Member

Rides:
    Vespa gts300
    i wish i checked there was 4 pages though lol

9. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    if you wanna ditch the stocker carb change for a runner type dell carb. there slightly better. then go up to a 25 roundslide dell, if thats not enough then bash a 28/30 of ether round or pwk type... a 24 pwk is just a plain waste of time. there well designed power carbs meaning you need somthing bigger. a 20 on this size engine is direly restrictive.. the only reason to not run a bigger than 25 for under full throttle is the size of the redblock..

i could waffel for hours. but ive used many many carbs on many many bikes and found if you wanna run a proper carb like a pwk then match it to the recdomended size per cc... my 85 crosser runs a 28mm flatslide stock. if you want all out power then 28 pwk... but ye, you need a few more bits first. stock carb is FINE untill you have a 172. all you will do is drink fuel and burn pistons for absoloutly no reason than a little more top end you could have got from tunning the transmission and your own carb a little better. (everyones different... ive done it this way for 10 odd years now)

10. bertie

bertie Active Member

Rides:
    '93 Skipper LX125
    Hi guys, I'm still having problems with this bike!

Im running a piaggio 180 belt along with Malossi 19 x 17mm, 12g rollers. So the belt and rollers are correct.

However I feel theres a spacing issue, Im currently running 2.5mm spacing between the front pullys. And still have pretty pants acceleration. It should be 1mm corrct? When I try the 1mm spacer its totally un-driveable.

Should the centre pin be greased up or run dry? Im running the variator and rollers dry as im using malossi ones, so should I ditch the brass back plate as suggested by capri dave?

Just for clarification, it takes off slowly and accelerates slowly, from 35mph onwards it "opens up" and blasts off nicely right upto 65mph. Anywhere between 35mph and 65mph is very responsive and quick. 0-35mph is pants, cannot get any revs from the engine just feels really lazy and un-responcive which makes it horrid to drive round town.

Im unsure where ever I should go all out and give this engine a rebuild or just buy another bike!!

11. dazz

dazz Member

Id fit some 10g rollers and report back here.

12. Juan Manuel Cerna Juarez

Juan Manuel Cerna Juarez New Member

hola saludos desde mexico alguien de este grupo conocerá las medidas de las arandelas gilera runner 180 2t, las que van en el porta rodillo (variador), saludos

13. Juan Manuel Cerna Juarez

Juan Manuel Cerna Juarez New Member

hello greetings from Mexico someone from this group will know the measurements of the gilera runner 180 2t washers, those that go in the roller holder, greetings