Peugeot Tweet 125 - Brake Cylinders

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by JAy3k1, Feb 18, 2019.

1. JAy3k1

JAy3k1 New Member

Rides:
    Honda X8R-S
    Afternoon all, so I had a issue with my scooters front brake partially seizing this week. After taking some advice I took the caliper off the bike (still connected via pipe) to clean it up and grease.

The problem I have is that I slowly pumped the cylinders out so as to clean them up. (Still in the body) But now I can find no way to reset the cylinders back in.

Here is what I've tried:
    1. Pushing them,
    2. Applying a g-clamp to slowly push them back,
    3. Released the nipple to allow fluid to drain and then apply pressure,
    4. Open the top of the break fluid cap and apply pressure.
    Nothing I have been told will work seems to work for these breaks. I am a complete novice, but this seems quite straight forward. What am I doing wrong here?

Desperately need to get my bike back on the road. So quite frustrating considering this should be a simple job.

Any help appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Easiest thing to do is disconnect the caliper, take the pistons out completely, clean them, clean the caliper inside thoroughly, remove the seals and clean any crap off those, preferably replace them.
    Coat the pistons, seals, and inside of the caliper in new brake fluid, using a twisting motion slide the piston back into it's housing.
    Be careful it doesn't roll the dust seal over ( the small one at the front of the hole)
    Re-fit the caliper and bleed the system.

JAy3k1 likes this.
  3. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

They have come out wonkey. You will need to take them totally out, clean behind the seals then put them back in and bleed the system.

JAy3k1 likes this.
  4. JAy3k1

JAy3k1 New Member

Rides:
    Honda X8R-S
    Thanks for the replies @Stevep and @scubabiker . I purchased a reconditioned caliper and compared the 2 and learnt that the original piston seals had probably collapsed behind the pistons.

So for now I have fitted the new caliper as I need the bike for work and will figure out out to get the old pistons out and clean it up and replace the seals so hopefully I'll have a spare.

5. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Compressed air or a grease gun will get them out

JAy3k1 likes this.
  6. JAy3k1

JAy3k1 New Member

Rides:
    Honda X8R-S
    Fab, thanks @scubabiker . I'll get one of our engineers to pop them out tomorrow for me. :)

7. Effects

Effects New Member

Hi Do you know what size the seals and pistons are ? mine are shot and need to replace but cannot find anywhere.

Thanks