Peugeot Trekker 100 Part 1

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by David184, Jan 1, 2017.

1. David184

David184 New Member

20160303_142438-1.jpg
    Like all the shite vehicles I've owned in recent years this scoot was found on Ebay, in September 2015.
    £150 for a long neglected runner exhumed from the back of a garage after 5 years off the road. I liked it's style and lack of accident damage, low mileage, low price, lack of corrosion, apparent unpopularity and non standard front suspension. The previous owner had swapped the forks for a Speedfight front suspension at some point, he gave me the standard front end parts as well.
    It needed a battery at least, so I got stuck into cleaning the bike and checking it over to see what was needed to get it back on the road while I waited for the battery and a bunch of service parts to arrive.
    It needed a big service, an exhaust, the usual consumables, a left switchgear, 2 new tyres, and as I later found out, a few other parts.
    I don't have a lot of spare time with 2 small kids, a wife, a job, 2 cars (semi projects), 2 bikes (also semi projects) and now 2 scooters (other scooter a semi finished project at the time, now finished) so the Trekker had to wait it's turn in the garage. I was itching to get into it though!

And then one day early in the summer of 2016 I found some time and motivation, so the work started with a plug and air filter, the exhaust, transmission belt, replacement clutch bell and shoes, rollers, new gear oil, brake pads and shoes, cleaned carb, fresh fuel and oil, new shock absorbers, the tyres and the battery. New indicators and lenses, a nos sports screen, and a used handlebar cover panel also went on along with various other bits and pieces.
    A month of mostly sneaked hours here and there after work and most of this was done. She started up, ticked over and revved up well. All the electrics worked! Helmet on and we went around the houses. She rode good but a little hesitant, I hoped it was just needing a blast and so I headed for some nearby dual carriageway. All good up to 50 mph and then she cut out while a dustcart was up my arse trying to overtake. Up on the grass and bump to a stop cursing. Switched off and on, kicked it over and she fired up.
    Back home I stripped the carb again thinking it was fuel starvation, so I pursued all possibilities there, which occupied quite a bit of time.
    Meanwhile parcels were arriving as I'd been busy Ebaying again. In one of them was a bundle of parts- Doppler exhaust, air filter and a box of jets. Foolishly I fitted these before curing the cutting out problem and the scoot left me stranded a couple of times on now noisy test runs a mile or so from home. I test ride only uphill now ;)
    I'd been working on the scoot a couple of months and I ran out of time, I had to concentrate on other things so she was pushed to one side, still refusing to start, still in pieces and covered it up for a few months.
    My Piaggio Sfera needed work for the MOT and in November I found the time to smash it's list of ailments and get a pass certificate. Motivated by this and ignoring all other priorities I got the Trekker out again. Put it back to standard with another new battery and she fired up. The test ride got us up to 50mph and she was cutting out. Advice in the workshop section of the forum pointed to the cdi, a common failure on some of these Peugeots. It was actually fitted with the wrong cdi as I later discovered. The immobiliser was misbehaving too so off it came. New cdi in, some other jobs finished and all of a sudden the scoot is running perfectly and ready for an MOT.
    She passed no problem and is really a lot of fun to ride. It gets up to 50-55 and that's pretty much enough for my uses. The handling and brakes are really good, I bought Michelin Power Pure 2CT tyres and they're fantastic. It's been easy to work on, the build quality was a nice surprise after my previous project Sfera (shocking build quality :eek:)
    Parr 2 of the project is to ride it for a few months in scruffy condition and just fettle and fix things as the bike settles in. I'm tempted to fit the exhaust and tune it a bit later in the year as well. In the autumn I'll strip it down again for a cosmetic resto over the winter, Part 3. It won't be back to standard.
    :)

andythebuilder, torpedo01 and sean178 like this.
  2. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    Ah the old speedy front end, i like the look of the trekker with the speedy front end gives it that off road'ish stance up front.
    my little sym has the split front lamp look i really like that style where they are set back into the front fairings saves you on a new headlamp if you come off, and that little luggage rack up front is sweet lol , little basket and a basset hound in would go well :)

its good to see the little trekker up and running sweet, i remember your first post about cutting out when up in the rpm.

ride safe and have plenty of fun David

3. David184

David184 New Member

Well spotted :cool: If I get chance I'll do some up to date snaps.

4. David184

David184 New Member

I only need a basket big enough for my Chihuahua in a handbag ;)