Peugeot speedfight malossi 120 won't go over 50 on flat :'(

Discussion in 'Maxiscooter Tuning' started by Jay harrison, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Jay harrison

Jay harrison New Member

Hi guys!
    Basically I could really do with some advice on this, I had a piaggio nrg 70 which was faster than this...

It has -
    malossi 120 kit
    Technicas exhaust :( (I am replacing with doppler racing pipe asap)
    21mm carb with 88 jet (anything bigger doesn't work)
    Doppler pod race air filter (also tried a polini one, that was loud and had no torque)
    Malossi variator with 9g rollers
    Motoforce racing ht coil
    New race spark plug

So it in theory, should go 60 atleast, I'd be happy with 60-65...but 45-50 is simply lame. Any suggestions please? Could it really be the crappy exhaust that came with it?
    Also I noticed the oil pump is on its highest setting on the cable, but I'd assume it needs that for the 120 kit?

2. 328isport

328isport Member

is this 45-50 gps or on the speedo?

Have you bought the bike like this or have you done the mods? do you have a rev counter? Apart from the top speed hows it performing? slow in general or good upto a certain speed?

Yep the oil pump on its highest setting would seem right.

3. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    maybe do an oil metering check you need to know how much oil is being used per liter fuel. its possible your a little lean on oil .

exhaust may still be goverened to keep with EU limits and emissions ie it could be restricted still and not giving you all the power it creates , these days shops will derestict a pipe if its asked for and your charged , you may find the pipe is the hold back so a check on it before dumping wads of cash on a doppler would be better .

4. Jay harrison

Jay harrison New Member

Okay I'll have to Google how to as I haven't done that before, is it quite simple to do? Lean? It's definitely not running lean, if anything it may be too rich, the plugs always pretty dark coloured, kicks out a ton of smoke when started up cold, like smokes out some road's, and it stinks of two stroke so in pretty sure it's not that.
    I've already checked the exhaust, there's no restrictors in there, it's cool I can do restrict the new one when I get it, ite simple enough, that or the oil are the only two things I can think of it being really, I've tried all tyere was to try in terms of carb settings.

5. Jay harrison

Jay harrison New Member

45-50 on tye speedo, and I've been followed by people confirming it too, it was mostly like it when o bought it, I've managed to fiddle it it and change the Carb jet, now its eventually does 50-52 at times.
    No rev counter no, I was thinking of trying to find one though, probably be pretty useful.
    It's not too bad pulling off and getting there, not amazing but not awful, seems to pull off well off the centrifugal clutch, then goes a bit gutless, like it's revving but not putting the power down. Then picks up a bit, then after 50 it feels like it can rev alot higher and pull more, but it just doesn't pick up the revs, get to a bit of down hill and itl start picking up and eventually hit almost 70, and it wants to, but then gets on flat again and just goes...well flat.. Aha.
    Ah goodgood on the oil setting :)

6. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    You probably need a gear-up kit, Pugs have pretty short primary gearing that runs out of steam when you stick a bigger cylinder on, even my Stage 1 tuned 50cc will get to 45+ MPH. Your variator will be running at maximum as will the rear pulley, so the only other alternative is to change the gear ratio of the primary gears. The usual scooter aftermarket websites will have them in stock.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  7. Ben Ayres

Ben Ayres New Member

Check the air filter it happened to me, and put in a new filter and it was fine..

Also I have a problem with my scooter the same as yours.. There's no connectors on my battery that runs from the electric It's just wrapped round the battery.. So you know what the connectors are called?..

8. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    They are called crimp-on loop connectors. Most car spares shops will have them. You need some that have M6 holes so that the screws from the terminals fit through.

9. Jay harrison

Jay harrison New Member

I was thinking about that just noe actually! :) or weather maybe it had been geared up already, but the rollers aren't light enough so the gear ratio isn't low enough for it to hit the powerband properly top end?? Ahh fair one! I didn't know that! Okiees I'll check the primary gear when I next get chance and if it's standard I'll order a gear up! Cheers bud :)

10. Jay harrison

Jay harrison New Member

Yea
    Yeah I did try a polini one but it was gash. So I'm buying a new doppler one, same as what ivr got already, but the foam on mines pretty shot and stodgy to the touch so hopefully thatl help a bit.
    I couldn't tell you what theyr called, but they should be pretty easy to get hold of, most bike garages should be able to sort them for you no problem

11. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    See my post above about the terminals ^^^

12. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Lighter rollers will make the engine more 'revvy' and get you into the powerband quicker. Maybe 8 gram rollers or lighter will help. Have you upgraded the contra spring in the clutch? One thing that will certainly help the 'change down' is a stronger contra spring. They come in +1000, +1500 and +2000 RPM ratings.

If you change the contra spring, make sure that you grease the pins of the pulley and the slots inside the pulley with decent copper grease, as they can 'stick' and then the rear pulley won't return or change up properly. One classic symptom that hints at this being a problem is if you have to 'snap' the throttle shut and open again to get it to 'change up' gear to the higher ratio.

I upgraded my scooter to a Naraku uprated rear pulley and a +1000 RPM over standard contra spring and it's made a big difference, especially on hills as it keeps the revs in the powerband.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
    MiNoR cOnFuSiOn and Jay harrison like this.
  13. Jay harrison

Jay harrison New Member

Yeah I have been thinking about going lighter, maybe it's not getting chance to hit the band properly atm for top speed. Yeah it's got a yellow one in it atm, the one that cane with the malossi variator rollers and springs, I may try the next one up sometime! Tah :) okay I'll bare that in mind! Pretty much all of what is on this was on it when I bought it so I don't know how well all this was done

14. 328isport

328isport Member

from what you describe try some lighter rollers definitely, I had exactly the same thing on mine where it would feel flat and all done at around 40mph but if I tucked in or went down hill it would creep back into the right rev range and then start pulling well again from around 50mph, new lighter rollers completely solved the issue.

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn likes this.
  15. Jay harrison

Jay harrison New Member

Yeahyeah! I've been meaning more towards that myself the last couple days too! :) nice cheap fix too! I slip streamed my friend in his car yesterday and got 70 from it, and the revs smoothed out when I did too, so that brought it to my mind, bit then it seems to rev reasonably highish then go a bit flat around 30, but then I' had that before with too heavy rollers, it reved high, then went low, then revved high again at a higher speed, so it could just be doing the same thing but at different rec ranges? Yeah down hills it goes well lol, okiees sweet thanks :) I'll try some lighter rollers again!

16. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Loss of power can also be down to weak reed petals. It might be worth taking the manifold off and checking that the reed seal against the housing when they are closed. They fatigue over time, the metal ones bend and the fibre ones can crack. It's a simple thing that a lot of Pug owners overlook when they try to track down a loss of power.

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn likes this.
  17. Jay harrison

Jay harrison New Member

Nah theyr all good, I checked them already, they're all in good condition. But it may be am idea to put carbon fiber ones on maybe?

18. 328isport

328isport Member

As long as the originals are in good order I wouldn't bother, I've generally found carbon reeds a waste of time on mildly tuned bikes. Btw I'm guessing your OE airbox doesn't fit the bigger carb?

19. Jay harrison

Jay harrison New Member

Oh fair one, I only used them on my 70 when I had it and that was when I put the 70 kit on so I didn't know what difference they made.
    Well it's got pretty much everything tunable you can buy for it already on it aha, but I guess it's never going to be overly highly tuned because I it's only a speedfight, but surely with the 120 kit bigger carb and sports exhaust they may make the powerband a bit more pronound?
    I couldn't say, as it had no original parts on it when I bought it, other than maybe the reed, but they could be ones that came with the malossi kit, unless they come with carbon ones usually