Peugeot speedfight 2 project

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by Sparky543, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Sparky543

Sparky543 New Member

Hi all,

Newbie here. Not new to bikes but I am to scooters or this new.

I've just bought this scooter on a 2006 plate as a project to do up for my daughter's 16th in December.

I'm having issues with getting her started. The battery was dead so far that it showed no volts. The battery is now showing and holding 12.7v.

Problem is, I can't start her. I turn on the ignition and there is no ignition lights and no turning over. Indicators flash, horn works no rear light so can't tell if that works yet.

I've read that it has an immobiliser but I have no flashing immobiliser light on the dash. I also only have 1 black key.

I have also read that I can bypass the CDI but I can only find a Peugeot item next to the battery and not the magneti unit people are on about.

If anyone can help me get her running, I would be grateful.

Mark

2. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Hmmm.
    Where is merlin got to.
    He is the Peugeot guru

Stevep likes this.
  3. Sparky543

Sparky543 New Member

Ok, so I've determined that the model is one without immobiliser. The starter relay just clicks with a rear light and without.

I'm starting to think it's the starter motor at fault. Going to try and pull it off tomorrow.

The dash lights not coming on, I think is due to corrosion as I tried to pull a bulb out and all the connectors are rusted away.

Oh and to check that it's not the battery, I put the one from my zx6r onto it to make sure it wasn't the battery.

4. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

What about on the kick start?

5. Sparky543

Sparky543 New Member

Kick start just seems to slip and not turn the engine. Once I got the electric starter to work, the kick starter was next.

6. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Put power direct to the starter motor using a spare battery, or the one off your ZX
    Trace the wire back to the starter solenoid for the positive. That will tell you whether the starter is knackered or not.
    Dash lights might be an indication that the reg/rec is shot and has blown the bulbs, but lets get it turning over first
    If the starter turns but the motor doesn't, could be the starter clutch that is shot, big disc behind the variator with 3 sprung drum rollers in it.
    they do get stuck or lost when people don't pay attention.
    There is also a starter relay under the footplate where the battery should be, unless it been moved......

7. Sparky543

Sparky543 New Member

Ok, so I took the cover off where the drive belt is and now see why kickstarter doesn't work.

Engine turns freely by hand and you can feel the compression.

Starter motor shaft wobbles like a goodun so likely to be bad. Relay just clicks and can see why now I can see starter.

Attached Files:

8. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Has that been stored in a lake?

Stevep likes this.
  9. Sparky543

Sparky543 New Member

Well, it didn't until I took the cover off. I'm guessing it has been poorly maintained and left outside in all weathers.

10. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Exactly what I thought......:D

11. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Looks absolutely terrible.
    However, it is recoverable.
    Strip everything out, throw it all in the bin and replace it. Sounds drastic I know but it is the only real solution.
    The faces of both the variator and clutch are probably pitted badly which wont do the new belt any good, the starter bendix bearings will be covered in rust and won't work right, the starter sprag will be shot, the bearings in the clutch housing where it passes over the input shaft will be shot.
    The kickstart half moon and spring can be cleaned up as can the pawl.
    While everythings out clean the inside of the case with a wire brush and thinners.

12. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Actually, forget cleaning the kickstart and associated stuff. Just looked again and it's got no shaft on it.
    Bin everything and replace.

13. Sparky543

Sparky543 New Member

Sorry for the delay, been busy.

Ok, so yesterday, I replaced the starter motor, bendix unit, spark plug and starter relay. Charged the battery and gave it a little squirt of easy start.

It took about 2 minutes of turning her over before she fired up. Lots of smoke and crap everywhere. Didn't sound great but I'm Impressed.

Took the air filter out and it was caked in crap and mould. Gave it another turn over without the air filter and she fired up first press of the starter. Now I'm even more impressed.

The casing is being stripped and re painted all parts will be replaced as I work on her. The parts are too cheap not to. Only issue at the moment is the variator nut is completely seized and will probably be cut off now.

I'm forever grateful for all your input on a field that was above my knowledge. Now I can work on repairing or replacing the cracked fairing.

scubabiker likes this.
  14. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Looking back at the pics, I think I'd be prepared to replace the crank.
    That variator nut not only looks like it's been on there since the dark ages, but stands a chance it's knackered the threads on that end.