panel respraying

Discussion in 'Visual Modifications' started by mattyt2010, Sep 30, 2010.

1. mattyt2010

mattyt2010 Member

Rides:
    gilera runner vx 125
    hi there could anyone tell me if you have to remove the old paint from the panels before applying the primer or can you just apply the primer on top of the old paint. help much appreciated.

2. sammyboi

sammyboi New Member

Rides:
    gilera runner
    its best to rub down the old paint helps in meny ways will help for a smoover better finish, and will also stop the paint reacting.

3. northrider

northrider Member

yup best to remove the paint or atleast smooth down the pannels nocely must be smooth and clean for a good finish this is very important

4. mattyt2010

mattyt2010 Member

Rides:
    gilera runner vx 125
    ok thanks people very helpful info thank you. any ideas on how to prepare all the rough black panels for paint please ?

5. northrider

northrider Member

make them as smooth as possible then 2-4 layers off primer and keep smoothing each layer then around 2 layers paint and then laquer on top

6. mattyt2010

mattyt2010 Member

Rides:
    gilera runner vx 125
    ok mate thank you for the info. any ideas on wt color's too have it ? i want it two color's but don't now what. i was thinking black and yellow. any ideas would be helpful. thanks

7. northrider

northrider Member

what bike isit????

8. sammyboi

sammyboi New Member

Rides:
    gilera runner
    there is a gilera runner in projects sparyed black and yellow, carnt rember whos it is but go have a look should give you an idear what yours will look like

9. northrider

northrider Member

im not feeling a yellow and black runner i would rather go all black or or black nd white but thas youre choice

10. mattyt2010

mattyt2010 Member

Rides:
    gilera runner vx 125
    i like the sound of black and white lol any other two colours that go nice together on a gilly runner ?

11. northrider

northrider Member

blue nd white

12. sammyboi

sammyboi New Member

Rides:
    gilera runner
    not so much the colors its how you spray it, nearly every gilly owner will spray his horn cover, foot trays, grab rail... and all the smaller panels 1 color and all the large pannels a differnt color. try think of a differnt way to spray your bike to make it stand out from the crowd

13. mattyt2010

mattyt2010 Member

Rides:
    gilera runner vx 125
    ok pal cheers for advice. allready nearly finished priming the panels just a few more to prime and then on to paint :p lol. think i'm having it black and white :)

14. northrider

northrider Member

pics please mate!!!

15. grantmc3

grantmc3 Member

Rides:
    piaggio nrg mc3
    have it black and red would like nice

16. gart

gart Member

Rides:
    speedfight 2 100cc
    soz for bumbing topic, ive a speedfight 2 100cc and i need to respray the spoiler at the back its red, how can i get the correct spray paint- name or just the colour- so the red will be the same as the other red parts

17. mattyt2010

mattyt2010 Member

Rides:
    gilera runner vx 125
    pics are coming on tomorrow pal i will post a few pics tomorrow lol and just try and blend the red in with the rest of the body work lol depending on the shade depends on how many coats of red you need to spray lol. thanks

18. mattyt2010

mattyt2010 Member

Rides:
    gilera runner vx 125
    but i'm not sure myself because this is my first respray lol. but it won't be the last ;) lol

19. bennkers

bennkers New Member

When painting do you rub down with fine sandpaper in between primer coats?

20. lukemills12345

lukemills12345 New Member

Rides:
    Speedfight 2 70cc
    yes you do you sand it down with kinda ruff paper , then primer in then sand it down with fine sand paper do this twice use filler primer if you have scraped and things on the panel, .