Oil light flashing and bike won't run properly

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Max s, May 17, 2017.

1. Max s

Max s New Member

Fair enough. Familiar with pitbike and crossers but oil injection and all this fancy stuff means nothing to me when I see it lol. It definitely is getting oil to the input pipe. Nothing is coming out the other end though. Doesn't seem to be blocked anymore as can blow through it and feel it on the other side. To me is seems like electrics for the pump or the pump needs replacing but it's not a cheap part just to buy a new one to see if that's the problem you know

2. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Does sound like thats your problem though. Run it on premix is my advice, and take a spare plug around with you incase it decides to start pumping oil again.

3. Max s

Max s New Member

Just found online, merlin was right about everything but I'm meant to hold the throttle open for 10-15 seconds whilst I turn the ignition on. That may have been why nothing has happened when I tried it without throttle. Will try again tomorrow morning and keep you updated

4. Max s

Max s New Member

If it says "disconnect the oil union from inlet pipe" what does that mean? The oil tank side of the pump or the carb side? I do have premix in the bike currently as didn't want to run with no oil at all.

5. Max s

Max s New Member

Tried both methods a few more times but no luck. If I start the bike up with the carb input pipe off the pump, it squirts one drop of oil out but then nothing after that first drop? Maybe dodgy wiring? Nothing that I can see though

6. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    My bike has the Dellorto system and the pump is the same as the Speedfight 2 (Dellorto ACPH1). On my bike, I disconnect the oil pump wires from the oil pump, then I disconnect the oil pump feed pipe from the carb. I turn the ignition on then plug the oil pump in. It starts to pump every five seconds or so for a minute or two, then changes to every two seconds for the last minute or so as it bleeds the pump. I don't have to touch the throttle at all.

I've edited a Peugeot wiring diagram, to show how the Dellorto oil system wires into the loom and connects to the CDI. The pulse from the pickup of the stator goes through the Dellorto unit then on to the CDI,where it triggers the spark. This is how the unit knows how fast the engine is running and how much oil to dose. For some reason, Haynes missed this part out of the fuel/oil system when they updated the workshop manual.

The only other thing I can think of is to check the battery voltage, as the Dellorto unit does have some self-diagnostics inside and if the 12v feed has dropped too low, it might trigger the flashing bulb as a warning. The rectified AC voltage would exceed the battery voltage and may cause the bulb to flash. The bulb turns off originally as the 12v AC rectified output from the stator feeds a diode in the clocks that back-voltages the 12v feed from the starter relay and oil level switch, thus cancelling it out, making the voltage go to zero and making the bulb go out when the engine is running.

Adding 1% oil to the fuel is a smart move as Peugeots have always run a tad lean on oil, I've always added 1% as a precaution. If you want to run on premix all the time and forget the oil pump, then 4% is what you should be aiming for (25:1)

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  7. Max s

Max s New Member

Thanks everyone! Oil problem sorted. The red and white wire was almost completely disconnected from the pin that goes into the connector! Not visible from the outside of it but when I popped the cable out it was clear that was the problem. Anyone have any ideas of what the rattling sound could be though? Not a big problem but does my head in when riding. It seems to be in the head by the sounds of it but can't be too sure.

8. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    It's likely to be the top bearing (the one that the piston pin runs through) rattling and causing a bit of piston slap. They don't take kindly to lack of oil and overheat easily. I suggest that you buy a piston kit (piston, piston rings, circlips, gudgeon pin and top bearing) and change them.

Check the piston circlip positions before you remove the old ones and make sure that the new ones are fitted in the same position when you fit the new piston.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  9. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Those exhausts rattle from new, probably that

10. Max s

Max s New Member

Another question, my bike used to go around 50mph at about 8.5k rpm but I replaced the rollers as they were worn and now it only hits 30mph and maxes at 6k rpms unless I'm going downhill which I then hit around 8.5k rpms again. Any ideas?

11. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

wrong weight?
    put the restrictor back in?

12. Max s

Max s New Member

Another question, my bike used to go around 50mph at about 8.5k rpm but I replaced the rollers as they were worn and now it only hits 30mph and maxes at 6k rpms unless I'm going downhill which I then hit around 8.5k rpms again. Any ideas?

13. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Like I said above, have you used the wrong weight rollers? Or somehow put the restrictor back in?

14. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Chances are that you've scored the barrel, or knackered the piston rings. It sounds as if you've lost some compression and you won't know for certain unless you get the bike compression tested.

15. Max s

Max s New Member

well, forget about everything guys. It's been nicked earlier today. Thanks for all your help anyways

16. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    Ah shit Max thats a bloody bummer ....... hopefully insurance will pay out and you will be able to grab a new scooter and come back for more advice and tinkering tips, dont be disheartened fella it always happens to us gooduns keep your chin up and look at new bikes for when insurance shizzle has been sorted out

17. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Oh thats rotten luck, lets hope whoever stole it got run over by a truck, then dipped in acid....
    Fuck I hate theives....
    Are you on facebook? There are a few stolen bike groups, post details there and people keep an eye out for it

18. Max s

Max s New Member

Police say they can't do anything. Even though I see it riding past my house several times within one hour early this morning. Decided to go out and find it. Found where they live but police still can't do anything

19. Sam phantom

Sam phantom Active Member

Never herd any thing like it! Sorry!? why can't the police do anything?. You have had it stolen right ?

20. Sam phantom

Sam phantom Active Member

When you next see your bike Just ring 999 and tell the police you are in chase and have followed them to where you believe the bike is and the police will be there within in minutes !?!?