NRG WONT REV UP!!

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Jay_Jay, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

You say the leak smells of two stroke oil and the oil tank is soaked? That isn't a fuel leak or it would smell of fuel which evaporates quickly. The soaked oil tank sounds like either an over fill spillage that's still dripping off the tank, a split in the oil tank or the caps loose so it's flowing over when running. Or pipes and connections as suggested.
    If you have a fuel leak however then check the obvious such as the fuel tap at the bottom of the tank and all pipes.
    Are you sure they replaced the float pin? It's always possible that when you ride the vacuum system fills the float bowl and it overflows without you knowing. With no pin in place then the fuel won't stop entering the float bowl. When you park up, with no engine running you get no vacuum so no fuel flow. Run the engine and hold the throttle on high tick over then keep an eye on the carb overflow pipe, see if it leaks fuel.

2. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    like i mentioned check that oil tank, wipe it over , wipe over the pipes , top it up DO NOT over fill it, lay a sheet of kitchen paper down and leave it a good few hours see where that leaks coming from .........

lol not many admit to being throttle happy, we all once were young in our days and had that balls to the wall ride style and burnt through a tank of fuel quicker than supping a milkshake, its gonna take you a little time to get out of that wide open 24/7 habit you have created , but slow down a little fella enjoy the ride for what it is , theres never a need to rush on a bike / scooter we can filter traffic and get into smaller gaps than cars, we can take the shorter road routes to ....... dont let your mates egg you on either if they fly off ahead let them 9-10 its one of those thats gonna take a fall because of speed and no forward thinking ;)

Jack mallett and Buzz like this.
  3. Jack mallett

Jack mallett Member

Going to fill the bike up and cruis around at 30mph for the day keeping count of the miles from when I fill up to when the red light comes on

4. Jack mallett

Jack mallett Member

Still only getting 50 miles at a push

5. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Just looked up the specs for the bike.
    6.5 litre fuel tank capacity, average 33mpg.

It's a small tank, so going by the specs, I'm guessing the mileage you get to the tank is about right.

I shall retract my earlier statement of having a fuel leak, in regards to your fuel consumption

6. Jack mallett

Jack mallett Member

Yh I guess so as well as it having a bigger jet so it does drink petrol.

7. Jack mallett

Jack mallett Member

I'm back I've had my bike working for a good 2 months now and had no issues with how it runs or anything. But I'm still having issues with fuel consumption and leaks from the carb and water coolant tank. I was thinking about just putting the bike back into stock condition with a stock exhaust and a 52-53 jet do you think it is worth doing so as all I will be using it for is going to college and running around town

8. Jack mallett

Jack mallett Member

I was also thinking with the leaks, taking it to a mechanic I took it to before and getting them to look the whole bike over like a service and did any leaks, cracks that it might have

9. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    this would be the better option, how long before you hit 17yr old Jack ? maybe get it done then sell on and have yourself a 125cc ist gonna give you 60mph and your gonna have no problems keeping up with traffic and likes

TWOSTROKE buddy your never ever gonna get good fuel usage . take it from me fella i been twinking 2t's a long time and they drink gas like a drunk on a saturday night down the seafront ;)
    what you get from a twostroke is that power delivery , that kick in the balls when the motor its its sweet area and trys to yank your arms off, only way to conserve fuel is park it up and walk or get a bus, but where is the fun in that fella :)

when your 17yr od you can jump onto a 125cc NOW if you go twostroke its gonna have that arm pulling power but its still gonna eat your wallet like a drunk on the seafront in petrol, BUT you can go fourstroke, its going to take a little longer to get to top speed but they are a little better on fuel they burn and use it more better so you tend to get a few extra miles per tank than a twostroke, BUT you still must care for it in the way of feeding it engine oil every so often and changing engine oil every so often. its a shame pedro aint playing ball otherwise i would pop upto the sea front and you could see how much fuel my little scoot drinks , i mean you can watch the fuel gauge go down when you wind on that throttle lol its like a second speedo lol and im running a derestricted 50cc but with a large bore carb fitted

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  10. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

I agree, it sounds like your fuel consumption is about right I'm afraid. Stock exhaust and lowering jet size will make a small difference but not much however you will also reduce performance, slower to pull away and not as powerful. I would leave it as is. You could get a garage to look it over but how long are you keeping it for? At £60 per hour, will you actually save money in the long run? Enjoy the riding rather than worrying about the fuel and up size to a 125cc as soon as you can. The best way to conserve fuel other than parking up and taking the bus is to do everything gently. Smooth on the throttle, back off downhill, smooth and gentle on the brakes. Cut the engine if it looks like you'll be sat on a red light for a few minutes, don't rev the engine while queuing.

11. Jack mallett

Jack mallett Member

Thanks guys good ideas I'll keep it as it is, just need to get these leakes sorted and I should be good until a 125 in November 2017

12. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    ah not to far to go then jack.

yep have those leaks seen to , then just hold on, treat the little scoot with a lotta care you want it in good shape for when you re-sell , no hooning and try to keep everything in order . wash and wax it so its nice and clean to.

13. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

Whats the leak from the carb?

14. Jack mallett

Jack mallett Member

I have no idea to be quite honest I've got the bike apart atm looking for the leak but havnt quite found out the specific source. Will be getting the sorted then just got to re sell as soon as I can get that 125

15. Jack mallett

Jack mallett Member

Any of you guys worked with or had a boost bottle in your bike and know if they actually help that much. I heard many stories of people getting them and running on a tank for 100+miles.i wanted to know if this is true and wether it is worth getting one

16. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Its just a BS bling thing... useless on a ped...

17. Jack mallett

Jack mallett Member

Alright cheers

18. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    aye leave the boost bottle its kinda pointless, for the 10 quid you could be getting a decent bottle of yamalube oil - a can of filter oil - two spark plugs - a new headlamp bulb or two . a set of l-plates etc etc

like we said jack only a few months till your 17 buddy and then you hit the higher cc limit , so your going to have more fun then , we all go through the same thing started on small then went larger ( unless your me lol and riding on a nifty fifty still ) . but saying that i am hopeful to be snagging a 125cc tomorrow/wed .

19. Jack mallett

Jack mallett Member

Guys I need help, was riding my bike today and it started to bog a littleni came to a junction and as I went to pull away the engine had cut out and now it won't start at all. I noticed the controlled air flow tub to the variator cover was half off, could this be an air block or something and how do I fix it

20. Jack mallett

Jack mallett Member

Anyone got any ideas?