NRG 140cc twin engine in progress.

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by MARSH, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Nathanael

Nathanael Active Member

2. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

how is the formula twin? parellel? ive never seen one in the flesh before

3. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    The formula 125 is as you say , parallel with a one piece barrel. A real lovely engine only let down by poor electrics. There only 111cc but 70 mph easy and so smooth!

4. Nathanael

Nathanael Active Member

I was looking at those the other day. Dont fancy £700 for a new crank. If you type italjet formula 125 engine into google and click on images there are a good few. I like the cylinder/s setup, big coolant jacket

5. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

a little off topic but just stumbled on this i wonder if they race there yearly, i can drive down to that place in a few hours from where i live

ReverendSkipper likes this.
  6. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

oooh they do, maybe i will take the tomos down there in may..

7. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

ok this....

8. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

9. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    That 4 cylinder is awesome, my twin cost around £1000 ish running!

scubabiker likes this.
  10. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

that 4 cylinder is pretty damn cool i saw a few videos and pics, it uses a belt to connect the cranks (twin crank v4) im guessing its just a drag setup and probably needs fine tuning every 5 hours or so. looks fun tho!

11. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    A little update on the twin, new front end just about finished. 2015-03-22 04.46.50.jpg 2015-03-22 04.47.12.jpg 2015-03-22 05.18.38.jpg 2015-03-22 04.48.20.jpg 2015-03-22 05.23.40.jpg GT 125 forks cut n shut a little to fit. Last photo is of the spacer made for the offset of the NRG wheel. I'm still dry building at the moment, still haven't rode it yet!

12. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

i cant stand those vespa forks, well just vespas in general, they just feel a bit, dunno... errr thin? its like they want to turn all the time, but they dont...i guess if you use one daily you get used to it.
    what made you decide to use that front end and not conventional forks?
    just for the looks?
    i love this project!

13. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    I don't know really, just to be a bit different I suppose, the original forks are crap as you know so thought I'd do something else for a change, should be a lot easier to set the Malossi shock to suit weight of the NRG? We'll see how it rides soon enough!

14. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

are the malossi shocks servicable?

15. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    I do believe they are! I'll get a new shock for the back as well.

16. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

changing the oil on a shock makes a big difference, sometimes you can get away with swapping the oil instead of the spring when setting up.

17. ReverendSkipper

ReverendSkipper Member

Rides:
    PiaggioSkipperST125
    Excellent work bud, lovin' it ',;~}~

18. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

any more progress? have you set your suspension up?

19. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Hi, no not really, I've been trying to sort out the running problem. You know when an engine does'nt run as you know it should and you can't put your finger on it? Anyway I tried loads of thing's and eventually thought I'd change the stator/flywheel, spare stator is shot so just changed the flywheel. The difference is amazing, pick's up and run's lovely now just like a 2t twin should do!
    I think I know why it was a problem, when I modded the frame I had the engine in place, welded all round the flywheel area and it was only last week I found out that mig welding f*ck's up the magnetism in magnets!!
    It starts first time every time on the button, and now it's crispy and pick's up real nice.

Stevep likes this.
  20. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

nice! i didnt know that about the magnets.... kinda makes sense though i guess