NRG 140cc twin engine in progress.

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by MARSH, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Yes, that's pretty much how I saw it in my head - a keyed shaft on each side with a supporting sleeve. It needs a more heavily engineered solution than a splined shaft, as splines might be Ok for final drives through sprockets, but that's after gearing down and power losses through the transmission.

2. turbovetto

turbovetto Well-Known Member

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
    The links are not the same machine - the first two are of a complete construction.
    The last lot are of a lambretta - which has a twin crank stock. But it does show you that two pipes are required. If This guy used two - you may be sure there is a good reason - because if there was a better way of doing it - he would build it. Look what he did to a pair of sport pro's for the 'Bretta !

3. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    SDC10726.JPG SDC10727.JPG View attachment 8423 SDC10731.JPG SDC10732.JPG SDC10736.JPG SDC10734.JPG SDC10733.JPG Just a little update on the twin, the second pick-up now mounted/timed and built up. Waiting on reed blocks n manifolds then I'll make a inlet manifold to run a single carb to start with. 80cc starter motor. Getting there slowly!

4. croozenooze

croozenooze Active Member

Nice project, enjoyed reading this

lee mason likes this.
  5. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    A little update for those that are interested in my slow moving project! SDC10765.JPG SDC10766.JPG SDC10768.JPG SDC10775.JPG SDC10771.JPG SDC10770.JPG I might actually get it running soon!

6. bogey

bogey Active Member

That's nuts ! I love it.

7. ScootBlend

ScootBlend Member

Rides:
    NrgPower09
    +1
    Will engine be for sale too in the future?

8. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    nobody will want to pay what it cost to build!

9. Scooter-Noob

Scooter-Noob God among idiots

Rides:
    AEROX in box's :-D
    This is fantastic!

only thing that makes me sad is the 17.5 carbs but what you have 2 i cant see it slowing you down too much, if anything will just make it more usable

10. ReverendSkipper

ReverendSkipper Member

Rides:
    PiaggioSkipperST125
    Loving it! - we helped buil an op-tronic ignition for a a guy who built a KH250 (IIRC) based 7 cyl stroker back in the late 90's :) lots of fun to be had eh.

You considered doing a faux 'V' twin config wrt crank and ignition firing angles? Suposed to be a really torque-ey set-up and smoother/less vibration than a 180 degree twin...

Cheers bud nice bloody work indeed :)

Shaun.

11. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    That wouldn't be Allen Millyard, would it? I remember the first 4-cylinder Kawasaki he did, called "A Little Bit On The Side". he's a legend for what he can do with Kawasakis.

Simon Whitlock also built a few epic Kawasaki bikes.

12. ReverendSkipper

ReverendSkipper Member

Rides:
    PiaggioSkipperST125
    Most likely him, name rings a loud bell but no sure - it was over a decade and a half ago and I used to drink heavily heheheh...

Not sure if he ever got the 7 cyl. working but we also worked with him on a 5 cyl - crazy tings eh ',;~}~

13. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    You considered doing a faux 'V' twin config wrt crank and ignition firing angles? Suposed to be a really torque-ey set-up and smoother/less vibration than a 180 degree twin...

Cheers bud nice bloody work indeed :)

Shaun.[/quote]

It wouldn't be easy making a V twin as it would need a balance shaft !

14. ReverendSkipper

ReverendSkipper Member

Rides:
    PiaggioSkipperST125
    It wouldn't be easy making a V twin as it would need a balance shaft ![/quote]

Fair point mate it'd def. need some careful balancing but the Yamaha XS parallel/180 deg. twin crowd seem to have had some tricks up their sleeves from what I recall 'back in the day' - was only my curiosity getting the better of me anyhow.

',;~}~

Cheers!

Shaun.

15. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    I'm not a good enough engineer to make a V twin.:(

16. ReverendSkipper

ReverendSkipper Member

Rides:
    PiaggioSkipperST125
    Hey bud you're doing fantastic with this 180 twin - I couldn't do it! I think maybe if you just had the tools ',;~}~

Shaun

17. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Update Video of 140cc Twin so far....

18. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Pancake filters

19. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

nice, the way the exhausts are reminds me a bit of the tz750, with exhausts pointing out where ever there was room! have you ridden it yet? how does the balance feel with the cylinder being offset from the wheel like that? i guess its not really noticable

20. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    I'll re-make the pipes so they are stacked like a formula 125 but just using as is while I'm testing the engine. If it all goes tit shaped again I can just sell the pipes as they'll bolt straight on a std scoot. As for the weight it's no problem, my old 250 twin was heavy and also moved over to the left of the frame but I had to use a wheel spacer, this engine sit's in the original position, you'd hardly feel any difference riding it.