Non variable speed clutch gearboxes

Discussion in 'Newbie Scooter Tuning' started by PopulationRanger, Jun 14, 2020.

1. PopulationRanger

PopulationRanger New Member

Hi. In 2012 i bought two 80s mopeds. First one Suzuki FZ50 good condition and runs well. Second moped. 1985 Yamaha ms50. Good condition runs well but won't ride up the last 600 yards up a very steep hill to my house. My mini does its in second gear just to give some idea how steep it is. The fz50 goes into first gear and does it without much fuss.

The Yamaha ms50 has spent most of its time covered up in a shed. I rode it 200 miles since 2012 to 2020. I would like have a look at changing its gear ratio if possible and other things to be sure it will be able to climb the steep hills where my house is. The clutch is slipping on very steep hills but only on the most steepest of hills.

What can I change to fix this issue? I don't think they have used a variable speed clutch as seen in most scooters but instead have in this transmission has used auto two speed box with drive shaft and a centrifugal clutch.

I understand how to change a belt driven variable speed clutch but this type and not so sure. I think I shall need to change the gear ratio somehow and maybe have a look at the clutch to see how worn it as become. Your input is appreciated.

Anyone have suggestions

Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

changing the ratio on a fixed gearbox would result in a total change of all gearing.
    That means that even on the flat, the engine would be revving it's nuts off due to the lower gearing.
    You need the engine to produce more power to help it get up that hill, or change it for a later engine with cvt transmission