Non starter (no spark problem)

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Jog_RR_madhead, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Jog_RR_madhead

Jog_RR_madhead Trainee bike mechanic in need of assistance

Rides:
    Direct bikes Lynx
    Hey guys well I'm not having much luck at all lol and to tide me over til i get my yamaha jog fixed I bought a Chinese db50qt5 50cc scooter with 1000km on the clock, I rode it 70km and now it wont start and its the same problem lol no spark grrrr not a happy bunny

2. Andy407

Andy407 New Member

Rides:
    Suzuki VZR 1800
    Hi dude have you tried the following which is usually the issue with Chinese scoots
    Ensure that the side stand is up as this is a very common issue if it is it may be the side stand switch that is faulty
    Change the CDI unit
    Change the coil
    Check that all wire connections are good
    Hope this helps
    Andy..........

Jog_RR_madhead likes this.
  3. Jog_RR_madhead

Rides:
    Direct bikes Lynx
    Hi Andy yes I have tried that I have bypassed the side stand switch. I know its dangerous but I'm in process of elimination. I have replaced the stator. Checked the ht coil against a new one "seems to be fine" I have a replacement coil and cdi due tomorrow from Jersey so I will try those and let you know the outcome if any. Thank you for your advice Andy its much appreciated

4. Andy407

Andy407 New Member

Rides:
    Suzuki VZR 1800
    Hi dude had another thought is there an alarm fitted if so you can by a bypass plug to eliminate this as i have known these to cause some real issues before. If it hasn't got an alarm thats fine. Andy..................

5. Jog_RR_madhead

Rides:
    Direct bikes Lynx
    Hi Andy thanks for the suggestion but I haven't got an alarm. I'm hoping the parts come today if they do I'll give you an update ☺

6. Jog_RR_madhead

Rides:
    Direct bikes Lynx
    Hey Guys well my new ignition coil spark plug and cdi came this morning I fitted them and yet still no spark and I really don't know what else it could be lol it's got a new stator on it too. anybody got any ideas please I'm stuck. all comments are gratefully appreciated

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  7. Andy407

Andy407 New Member

Rides:
    Suzuki VZR 1800
    Hi dude just back off a weekend away i think its just an elimination game now have you got a circuit tester if so you will need to start from the beginning
    • Geni is power coming from all 3 wires out of it when the engines turns over
    • Is the voltage regulator working correctly.
    • Is power getting to the CDI if you know of someone that has a working scoot ask to see if you can try their CDI as i have bought new and they have been faulty before now.
    • Is power getting to the coil pack etc
    keep me in the loop dude if i lived a little closer i would call around and have a look at it myself.
    Hope this helps out.
    Andy.............

8. Jog_RR_madhead

Rides:
    Direct bikes Lynx
    Hi Andy hope you had a good weekend. thanks for the advice mate. I have a multimeter, and I have a spare brand new cdi, and coil there is 58 volts coming from the black and red stator wire and straight to the cdi (will check other two wires tomorrow) but i dont know exactly how to test if power is going the coil. does the regulator matter? I read that the regulator/rectifier only changes a.c. voltage to dc to power the lights and charge battery etc and i dont know anyone else with a scooter. I have also read that it could be grounding out against the frame somewhere in the loom so I'm going to take it out inspect it for faulty wiring and patch up if necessary I'm also going to continuity check every single wire just to make sure. it has to be something simple as everything that is needed to produce spark is brand new. I will keep you posted cheers pal

9. Jog_RR_madhead

Rides:
    Direct bikes Lynx
    where are you from Andy I'm in Birmingham

10. Jog_RR_madhead

Rides:
    Direct bikes Lynx
    Morning Andy these are the readings from my stator.
    stator wire...
    yellow 2.6volts
    white 4. 6volts
    black and red 71volts
    blue and white 0volts and there is no power getting to the coil. I have taken the loom out and continuity checked it and every wire seems fine

11. Jog_RR_madhead

Rides:
    Direct bikes Lynx
    I have no voltage coming from the pickup coil awaiting a replacement. will update when it arrives

12. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    make sure you space it sweet buddy, a credit card is a good item to use between the magneto/flywheel nugget and the pickup ;)

13. Jog_RR_madhead

Rides:
    Direct bikes Lynx
    ok thank you Tam I have done that already. I am also going to try a 0. 15 fila guage as its its thinner than a credit card. your info is much appreciated

14. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Jog RR
    Where about in Birmingham are you?

15. Jog_RR_madhead

Rides:
    Direct bikes Lynx
    Northfield, south Birmingham Steve

16. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

So close yet so far.
    I'm over north Birmingham

17. Jog_RR_madhead

Rides:
    Direct bikes Lynx
    gutted lol just waiting for a replacement loom and a pickup coil to arrive they're saying 6 days so with a bit of luck they will work. the reason I bought a new loom is because I stripped the existing one down so I could check for damage

18. Jog_RR_madhead

Rides:
    Direct bikes Lynx
    hi guys well I've installed my stator but it has a black yellow and white wire in one connector. one single red/white wire with female bullet connector and a red/black wire and a blue/white in another connector; where I plug into the wiring harness it only has four wires; (red/yellow, blue/white, red/white and a plain white wire. I just need to know what wire goes where to get my bike to run. all help it much appreciated

19. Jog_RR_madhead

Rides:
    Direct bikes Lynx
    I have give up trying to connect the stator and have reordered a different one as I don't want to butcher the new one for it not to work. will post the outcome when new stator is fitted. cheers

20. Jog_RR_madhead

Rides:
    Direct bikes Lynx
    hey guys i finally got my jog running after quite a few failed attempts. it ran for a bit but then smoke was coming from the cylinder head and it stalled. has anybody got any ideas on what might be the problem. cheers in advance