No lights vespa Px125 lml star

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by apriliars250, Mar 14, 2019.

1. apriliars250

apriliars250 Member

I can't post this on the lml forum because new members can't sign up to it.

Any way my scooter was working all fine when I put it all back together. But now just the lights have stopped working. I have checked the resistance on all the wires and they are all fine. The only problem is testing the blue wire for voltage when running there is nothing or sometimes the multi meter will read 1 millivolt. So I replaced the stator with a genuine one and it's still the exactly.

Any help would be good the scoot still runs and drives fine

Thanks

2. milo2025

milo2025 Trip to Trumpton

Sounds like you might need a new blue wire.

3. apriliars250

apriliars250 Member

New stator so blue wire is new

4. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Without taking it all apart I cant really help, but here is my logic:
    The lights are either AC powered (only turn on when the bike is running)
    Or DC powered (turn on with the key, using voltage from the battery)
    If they are AC the problem could be a faulty stator winding or possibly the regulator?
    If they are DC I would first check the battery and main fuse, then look into the regulator and wiring.
    Stupid question. But have you checked the bulb? (Seriously I've done it.... too often....)

5. apriliars250

apriliars250 Member

The lights are AC I have voltage coming out of the AC wire. So I replaced the the stator and it's still the same when engine running no voltage from the AC wire.

6. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

1millivolt AC?
    Sounds like the coil on the stator to me

7. apriliars250

apriliars250 Member

Yeah 1 millivolt AC max. I have replaced the stator and stii the same.. I did think it could possibly be something to do with the flywheel magnetics but the engine seems to run fine

8. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

I think its just 2 dud stators.
    It happens sometimes. Cheaply made parts. Welcome to the capitalist/consumerist world we live in....

9. apriliars250

apriliars250 Member

The quality of most scooter parts are no way near as good as my motorcycle stuff even gaskets i Had to make a couple of my own.
    But the parts are a lot cheaper

Im going to take a flywheel and stator off my mates vespa tomorrow. So hopefully I should get some where

scubabiker likes this.
  10. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Check the wiring behind the horn cast and where the wiring loom runs up into the handlebars, the wires can get cut due to poor routing!

apriliars250 likes this.
  11. apriliars250

apriliars250 Member

Yeah I have.. The cable routing is so tight around the headstock / handle bears. I completely stuck at the moment.

12. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    It's usually the indicator switch loom that gets cut through but either will. You will need to take the plugs off indicator wiring, pull it up through the top and re-route them back down either behind or infront of the gear cables making sure there free when lock to lock .

apriliars250 likes this.
  13. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

I'll re-iterate scuba's thought about checking the bulbs to see if they have blown. Reason being that if both the bulbs have blown then it could be a reg/rec problem and not stator.

14. apriliars250

apriliars250 Member

Its not just two bulbs I basically have nothing AC the fuel gauge does not work either. I have checked all the bulbs

15. apriliars250

apriliars250 Member

I'm going to do that soon and take the bars completely off.

16. apriliars250

apriliars250 Member

Today I took the flywheel and stator and regulator off my mates lml and tried them all and still have the same problem 1 millivolt coming out of the AC wire.
    I have attached a picture of the wiring diagram as for the stator not giving out any voltage I can't see why any damage wire would affect the voltage out put of the stator seeing it is unregulated.

Attached Files:

17. apriliars250

apriliars250 Member

OK the problem is not solved. Bit of a weird one. Every time I took the flywheel on and off the light would work for half a second when first starting the scooter. So what I did was coverd the crankshaft taper with grease and tightened up the flywheel. Then left it for Cople of hrs then re torque the flywheel nut. The light now all work. It does not look like the flywheel moved any closer because the flywheel was really close to the cylinder fins anyway. Its got a mot now and the scooter goes really well with the 187cc