No idea where to ask this. parking problem

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by MrSkeedle, Oct 13, 2017.

1. MrSkeedle

MrSkeedle Member

Im 16 and have just got my provisional license, completed my CBT and have tax, mot and insurance. Everything is fully legal. I have been driving my moped to school for a few days only for a teacher to stop me asking if i had permission from the head teacher to drive my moped to school, hold on a second, what the actual **** is that to do with you. I dont need permission to park in a car park. I had to get my parents to ring the school, because they treat me like a little child, even though im fully legally able to ride this bike. Someone who runs the school decided it was ok, they just asked for my insurance letter, which i still didnt want to have to do, but i did it anyway to avoid further hassle. The school have now had a second meeting and have decided that it is "against their poilicies" for me to park my bike in a car park. My argument is that i am not breaking any laws, everything to do with my bike is legal and also, its a blummin car park. WHERE YOU PARK! They just seem to be trying everything to stop me commuting to school and think its okay to treat me differently than students parents who pick them up and teachers who park their everyday, which i think is completely unfair.

Anyone experienced something like this before or know any of the laws surrounding this? Thanks :D

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  2. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Park it there....then fight them - sounds to me your dealing with a bunch of arseholes.

MrSkeedle likes this.
  3. MrSkeedle

MrSkeedle Member

hahah thats my plan basically. only problem is im 16 and fighting my own school. trying my hardest to stand my ground without getting kicked out of the school or pissing my parents off. My current thought is its basically discriminating me, whats the difference between a teacher and me parking there. no laws at all. they just say its "their policy" well quite honestly i dont really care about your policy, especially when there is no reason behind it, nothing at all. if they had an honest reason i would accept it, but they have no reason, all the teachers we have spoke to individually have said yeah whats the problem, park there its fine. but the headteacher is adamant that i cant and has had meetings deciding its a no. Just seems discriminative to me.

4. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

I actually had this too, but it resolved itself when other kids started to get mopeds too.
    Just hang in there and keep riding, you are doing nothing wrong or illegal.
    If they discipline you speak to both OFSTED & CAB

5. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Ask them to show you and your parents where in the schools policy it says that students are not allowed to park a vehicle on school grounds.
    Is this a private school or public/state school?
    And keep parking in the car park.
    If they forcibly remove it, they are commiting a criminal act, i.e unlawful removal.

Unless of course you have taken the head teachers parking place......................

6. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

In my opinion this is a car park on school premises provided for the staff. As such they can do what they like regarding rules.
    Do you have a real reason to take the moped to school eg no buses or transport?
    I would think you would have more success aproaching it from that angle rather than colliding head on with the school about rules.
    I expect they don't want other pupils suddenly arriving on mopeds either as the car park is for staff.
    Do parents park there when picking up? Do they park in the street? Are there bicycle sheds for pupils if so that would be better as you could chain it up?

7. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Yeah, thats a fair point, the car park could be "private" property, even though im pretty sure schools are run through government, which makes the land public....
    Hmmm....

8. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Most schools round here are like this with no provision for parents to pick up and limited parking for the staff.
    Schools were never designed for cars and public parking in the UK unlike some other countries where they had drive throughs and older pupils had cars. Most people lived locally or had a bicycle or used a school bus.
    Having said that if you have a real reason to use a moped with no alternative why not see if you could arrange to park in a corner somewhere out of the way as a moped doesn't take up much room.
    There are probably no rules but if lots of pupils start turning up with mopeds there soon will be a rule banning them.

9. MrSkeedle

MrSkeedle Member

Appreciate the reply :D
    Yeah the car park is for everyone, anyone can park on it. Staff, Parents etc. And the thing is, what i do know for sure, is the school cannot create rules on how i want to get to school. Its ridiculous, but if they say i cant park it, it is their rules, they can say that. But what they cant stop me doing is coming to school on it. If i want to do that, its none of their business. I just really dont want to park it outside where its likely to get stolen. My father had a meeting today at the school and they are saying they will allow me now but they are going to have to do a risk assessment. Seems weird but i dont mind as long as they let me park lol. Its really annoying how they keep changing their mind. They said no then yes then no and now yes again today. Hopefully i can get it sorted. If they say im not allowed there is a small entrance up top for pedestrians, ill just push it through there and nobody will see me hahahahaha.

10. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    I bet they'd say nothing if you were 17 and in your new car! Taking up yet another space, in traffic to school, you'll be a bad influence to other school kids seeing you on your Ped, keep it up !

11. MrSkeedle

MrSkeedle Member

Wait I'm confused. Are you on my side or the schools. I think they'd be more annoyed at a car tbh. You can do 10 times as much damage lol.

12. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    I,m on your side, I to am scum, 3rd rate citizen cos I ride a scooter. The school won't have any problem if you turned up in a car, it's nice warm safe ! I choose to ride scooters everyday and I love it. I do have a car but that's only there to tow my caravan.

13. MrSkeedle

MrSkeedle Member

Ahhh safe. Yeah they're just being dicks about it. I'm allowed once again but gotta grt to school 15 mins early and leave 15 mins late. I'll do it for like a week then I'll just go when I want. Doesn't even make fucking sense. 15 mins before school is it's busiest. That's when everyone is getting there. They're so dumb lol

14. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

A risk assessment?
    Now I'm looking at this from a Health and Safety managers position, because I am one.
    I would love to know what they are looking to assess.

Is it the scooters position in the way it is parked?
    Or where it will be parked?
    Does it have the potential to harm anyone while it is parked where it will be parked?
    Does it have the potential to cause a restriction for emergency access or egress?
    Does it have the potential to be a fire hazard?

More than likely they are thinking that you are a spotty yoof with a scooter who will rag it at full throttle up and down the driveway showing off to your mates as you whizz past them while they are walking.

They are probably not doing a risk assessment on the scooter, more likely doing a risk assessment on YOU AND YOUR DRIVING.
    The clue in this is the fact that they want you to arrive early and leave late.
    It seperates you from the crowd.

If, as you say, anyone can park on that land, they must do a risk assessment on every vehicle that uses it, period.
    Cars, bikes, bicycles, the lot.
    And that includes every teacher, supply teacher, deputy head and headmaster that uses a vehicle of any description to get to work and park on that land.
    No-one is excluded.

Anyone use a skateboard back and forth to school, and go up and down the driveway on it?

I know the school has a speed limit on it's car park, they all do, just make sure you stick to it rigidly.
    It wouldn't surprise me if they have or will get a speed gun to try and get you, and use it as an excuse.
    But if they try that then you could always insist on seeing the calibration certificate for it.

15. Phil@Notts

Phil@Notts Member

The school doesn't own the car park it probably belongs to the local council or the LEA (Local Education Authority)
    Get your parents to write/email them to enquire who owns the land, who enforces the parking and what restrictions are there.

Tell your parents not to use identifiers (names etc / use untraceable email address or alias) and tell them not to mention it's about a student wanting to park their. Just ask the basic questions only.

Then when you have the relevant information post here or hopefully you'll have the necessary information to decide on whether your are legally allowed to or not

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.