newbie with a Gilera Runner FXR

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself...' started by Westwood, May 4, 2020.

1. Westwood

Westwood New Member

Picked up a 1999 Gilera Runner FXR 180 2T for a bit of a lockdown project the other day. I've been away from two wheels for over 30 years but handy with Landrovers and chainsaws so hoping the learning curve won't be too steep. It sat for at least 5 years, maybe closer to 10 in a garage but was apparently running when put away. Looks complete and unmodified so that's a start. Main issues so far are flat tyres, front forks which appear seized and some issues apparent with lights and indicators (after putting on new battery). Photos to follow and likely plenty more posts as I run into issues that need some technical input. Cheers, Martin.

2. milo2025

milo2025 Trip to Trumpton

Nice one Martin. Welcome, and look forward to hearing how the project progresses. Look forward to seeing some photos too.

3. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Firstly,:) welcome

Secondly, change the tyres, and brake pads, more than likely they have cracks in the sidewalls from being flat for so long, and unused tyres are not good, pads would start to crumble. Do a brake fluid change while you're there.
    Forks are easy to strip out but it is preferable to have an air ratchet gun to get the bolt out in the bottom of the leg. New seals and oil they should be good. Re-paint the lowers while it's apart, easy.
    Lights and indicators are probably earthing issues having stood so long. Clean up all the earth points, engine, frame, indicator earth points.
    Strip the carb and have it ultrasonic cleaned, more than likely it's got varnished fuel in it somewhere, a major source of headaches when trouble shooting.
    Check the condition of the rollers, change the belt.
    Most of the issues you will get is because of lack of use rather than abuse, due to standing for so long.
    When you get it running, put a multimeter across the battery terminals to check the charging output.

If you are anywhere near Birmingham and get stuck, give me a shout, soon sort that little lot out;)

I also have a near enough new sports exhaust for that bike on the shelf.......

4. Westwood

Westwood New Member

think I've figured or photos now?
    Screenshot_20200504-124108_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200504-124040_Gallery.jpg

milo2025 likes this.
  5. Westwood

Westwood New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome:)

Think I've got the exhaust covered already with what is on it when it came.

Previous owner (only one I think) was even older than me and was in his 50's and had other big bikes so don't think it's been abused too much. It's on 20k miles.

Think forks might be an issue as USD type and solid, chrome quite badly pitted too but happy to hear options for these.

Will get a project thread started. Screenshot_20200504-155746_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200504-155659_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200504-155730_Gallery.jpg

6. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    There's a few of us in our 50's thank you ! :D

7. Westwood

Westwood New Member

no offence meant - hope none taken:)

8. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Non what so ever, I still mess around with scooters/bikes, it's what we love and I ain't going to stop ! cheers.

9. Rickard Pingol

Rickard Pingol Active Member

Piaggios forks are notorius for rusting. Maybe you can get away with de-rust the lowers and remove all the small rust-volcanoes :). And service the forks. Its a nice scoot. We are here to back you up :)

10. Peter Richardson

Peter Richardson New Member

Hi, I'm new to this forum speak, I have a similar scoot on 2001.
    Can I please call on some experience.......

can someone help please?
    I have a 2001 Runner 2 stroke, starts great but when the engine gets hot it just cuts out. Fuel line and carb is perfect, plug is new, I put a spark tester on it which clearly shows it stops sparking. After about a minute, it turns over, misfires then fires back into life with a bright spark again only to repeat this cut out about 3 mile later. it seems to happen quicker when its ridden hard.
    Ive checked wiring/earths ect and also replaced the CDI and coil pack to brand new but this doesn't fix it.

Any idea please? TIA

11. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

I guess it's the stator?

12. Peter Richardson

Hi m8, I'm not getting charging problems to the battery, is the stator not just to charge? I have the spark tester between the plug cap and plug giving a good but sometimes erratic spark, scoot flies for about a mile, stalls, no spark, 20 seconds later starts up and runs gteat again for another mile. If its ridden slowly it does'nt seem to cut out.

13. The Messenger

The Messenger Active Member

might be the coil/cdi pack.

14. Peter Richardson

I changed them both for brand new ones

15. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Has it had a new piston and barrel recently?
    Could be mild heat seizure.
    You could also check the vac lines from the fuel pump under the floor board to the little header tank just to make sure it is pumping enough fuel up to it

16. Peter Richardson

hi, thanks for the reply, yes, its had a new piston and barrel to try n fix, the fuel lines have been renewed and vacume working great, carb is getting enough fuel but its defiantly spark missing when hot. The he ader tank is full and overflowing back to main tank.

17. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Hi Peter
    To save hi-jacking someone else's thread, best to start a new one in the workshop section please

18. Peter Richardson

I am new to forums never done it before, what am I supposed to do, I have 2 posts by the look of it? not trying to upset anyone, just l;ooking for help from knowledgeable people, sorry.

I will not reply to any more comments on nthis thread, again SORRY

Last edited: May 7, 2020
  19. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

At the bottom of this page, click "Forums", scroll down to the section called Workshop, click on that, a new page opens. In the right hand corner is a big red button that says "Post a New Thread".

20. Peter Richardson

good man! thank you.