Newbie requiring help

Discussion in 'Scooter Tuning' started by Mr Adrian Hesslewood, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Mr Adrian Hesslewood

Mr Adrian Hesslewood New Member

How do all, I've joined the forum as needing a little guidance and advice.

I am a postman but in my free time I repair cars.
    Here's the twist. One of my friends has passed a job onto me involving a 2005 Peugeot Ludix Trend 50cc moped.
    The young lad dropped it off tonight and said it struggles to start, wants a full service and de restricting.
    I need help, I've not worked on bikes or peds and I'm flying blind (I did tell the lad but he was still happy to leave it with me and said do my best).

I've printed off about 60 pages of engine and bike manuals but I'm still a little baffled.

1. How do I service it i.e what does a service entail of on a ped and any info on oils and parts would be much appreciated

2. He said the de restriction is something on the chain that clips off but I don't have a clue so again, any picture guidance or step by step guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I'm sure that once I've done 1 I've done them all so I think this forum will come in handy for me as after this I may be asked to do more from him or his friends.

2. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

I did a guide ages ago about start problems for peugeots. Its the choke jet in the float bowl.
    Guessing you are mechanically minded enough to work that out?
    The restrictor is behind the variator. Take the trans cover off, take the front pulley off and the variator. 3 little bolts behind it. (6mm heads?) Unbolt them and the funny cage thing. Put it all back together. Check the belt for wear and rollers for flat spots.
    Lube all the moving parts, new spark plug. Thats pretty much it for those motors.
    The final drive oil doesnt get changed, its just to top it up if I recall, but I think the bolt is behind the clutch (rear pulley).

Mr Adrian Hesslewood likes this.
  3. Mr Adrian Hesslewood

Mr Adrian Hesslewood New Member

Champion, I'll crack on with it tomorrow. I've downloaded an engine manual for the engine and a service handbook for this bike too so with your info I should be able to do something with it.

I'm fairly mechanical minded with the amount of work I've done (engine rebuilds and all other sorts of jobs on cars) just never been put in this sort of situation of been handed a moped so really wanted a little guidance rather than just guessing.

Appreciate the advice, will still continue to use the forum as like stated above, after this I have a feeling this won't be the last 1 I get handed after this.