Scooter Shack Scooter Forum
The UK's biggest automatic scooter forum.
Scooter Shack is now a read-only archive. Over 20 years of scooter knowledge (2006–2026) is preserved here. New posts, replies and accounts are closed.
ForumsThe Tuning CenterScooter Tuning

Newbie requiring help

Discussion in Scooter Tuning started by Mr Adrian Hesslewood, 12 Nov 2018
Mr Adrian Hesslewood#1
How do all, I've joined the forum as needing a little guidance and advice.

I am a postman but in my free time I repair cars.
Here's the twist. One of my friends has passed a job onto me involving a 2005 Peugeot Ludix Trend 50cc moped.
The young lad dropped it off tonight and said it struggles to start, wants a full service and de restricting.
I need help, I've not worked on bikes or peds and I'm flying blind (I did tell the lad but he was still happy to leave it with me and said do my best).

I've printed off about 60 pages of engine and bike manuals but I'm still a little baffled.

1. How do I service it i.e what does a service entail of on a ped and any info on oils and parts would be much appreciated

2. He said the de restriction is something on the chain that clips off but I don't have a clue so again, any picture guidance or step by step guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I'm sure that once I've done 1 I've done them all so I think this forum will come in handy for me as after this I may be asked to do more from him or his friends.
scubabiker#2
I did a guide ages ago about start problems for peugeots. Its the choke jet in the float bowl.
Guessing you are mechanically minded enough to work that out?
The restrictor is behind the variator. Take the trans cover off, take the front pulley off and the variator. 3 little bolts behind it. (6mm heads?) Unbolt them and the funny cage thing. Put it all back together. Check the belt for wear and rollers for flat spots.
Lube all the moving parts, new spark plug. Thats pretty much it for those motors.
The final drive oil doesnt get changed, its just to top it up if I recall, but I think the bolt is behind the clutch (rear pulley).
Mr Adrian Hesslewood#3
I did a guide ages ago about start problems for peugeots. Its the choke jet in the float bowl.
Guessing you are mechanically minded enough to work that out?
The restrictor is behind the variator. Take the trans cover off, take the front pulley off and the variator. 3 little bolts behind it. (6mm heads?) Unbolt them and the funny cage thing. Put it all back together. Check the belt for wear and rollers for flat spots.
Lube all the moving parts, new spark plug. Thats pretty much it for those motors.
The final drive oil doesnt get changed, its just to top it up if I recall, but I think the bolt is behind the clutch (rear pulley).

Champion, I'll crack on with it tomorrow. I've downloaded an engine manual for the engine and a service handbook for this bike too so with your info I should be able to do something with it.

I'm fairly mechanical minded with the amount of work I've done (engine rebuilds and all other sorts of jobs on cars) just never been put in this sort of situation of been handed a moped so really wanted a little guidance rather than just guessing.

Appreciate the advice, will still continue to use the forum as like stated above, after this I have a feeling this won't be the last 1 I get handed after this.

More threads in Scooter Tuning

Carburettor tuning1 replies20 Dec 2018
Mbk booster6 replies9 Dec 2018
Stage 62 replies1 Dec 2018
2015 Yamaha Aerox 50 - help to derestrict10 replies24 Nov 2018
Belt size help1 replies15 Nov 2018
Kymco Agility 16+ 4T 50cc camshaft help3 replies9 Nov 2018
Major Help Needed kymco 50cc 4t6 replies5 Nov 2018
Gilera Runner 70cc3 replies4 Nov 2018
Aprilia engage problem ?8 replies3 Nov 2018
Malossi gears Gilera Runner0 replies1 Oct 2018