newbie nel here again ; problems maybe???

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by nellyt5, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Gemma

Gemma Captain Spooky

Rides:
    VT 500 E
    Blimey you have two them, that can't be good. I did think of one reason why the helmet didn't fit in the toilet, but then felt it best to keep it to myself...

Mine's not a got a clue, strange though as I thought he would probably mess up the CBT but the instructor had nothing but praise for him! Best of luck to your two for tomorrow ;)

2. nellyt5

nellyt5 Member

thanks ,
    they are "buzzing" as they call it,BUT; im not looking forward to it because
    their mum said ive got to out with them on mine for an hour when they get back from the cbt
    and I am most definitely a fair weather biker ,its gonna be freezing cold ,windy,and probably wet too
    but the really bad thing is that their peds will probably be faster than my little tw 125 so they,ll be having to wait for me:(:oops:

3. Gemma

Gemma Captain Spooky

Rides:
    VT 500 E
    Hmmmm, he has got his MOT tomorrow and he'll be at school. That leaves me with the ride to the MOT station - forecast RAIN....:(

4. nellyt5

nellyt5 Member

well well well
    it goes from bad to worse
    I picked the lads up from their cbt yesterday at 4.30 really chuffed they were

while they were there I got their peds out ,helmets and gloves at the ready and filled the tanks up ready
    I had to get mine out and go out with them for an hour

,this was the first time I had been out on mine properly
    and hoped it would be ok,
    so it was dark, windy and spotting with rain,so reluctantly we set off for what was supposed to be an hour or so
    I took them the back roads [ mistake no 1 ] no street lights ,it was raining hard by now so I put my visor down
    which is very darkly tinted [ mistake no 2 ] couldnt see a thing so lifted the visor up again ,had to partly close my eyes as the rain was quite painful ,couldn't see a thing still, AND to top it all off my bike was playing up spluttering like a good un, so I pulled in and told em I was going back,
    we got home and both of them said "that was scary I couldn't see a thing"
    so I put my bike away and went in, the lads said "were off out for a bit" ok I said but be careful
    I had a bath and was just tucking into a sandwich when their mums phone rang , "oh what they done " she said looking at the number that was calling
    she passed the phone to me and it was our 19y old , he said his brother had "broke his choke"
    and it would only do 5mph, what???? I said thinking how a snapped choke cable could affect it in that way
    so I got me scruffs on AGAIN and drove up in the car ,armed with a few tools,
    by the time I arrived there the were 4 of them in a lay by,
    both my lads and 2 of their mates,
    first thing I did was check the choke lever,it felt ok,so I thought id better see if it starts,[ mistake no 3 ]
    it started and ran ok ,so I turned it off ,walked around the other side of the bike and nearly slipped over
    then the alarm bells started ringing, bear in mind its dark ,were in a lay by and its raining,
    I asked any of the lads if they had a torch on their phones and luckily they did ,
    then I saw a big black puddle under his aerox , shone the torch at it and it was blue, :eek::eek:
    2 stroke, now I knew he had lost all his 2 stroke and probably seized it ,I told him it was knackered big time,
    so I left in the car and went to fetch the van, [ actually a vw t5 camper van ] so I had to remove the seats and the kitchen pod,i picked up the bike and very pissed off 17 year old,i got to work on it immediately and after an hour of taking panels off I found that as I expected the pipe had come off the 2 stroke tank,it was held on with a crappy tie wrap,so I cut 10mm off the pipe and re-fitted it with a small jubilee clip. that bit sorted,
    don't know how to bleed the oil feed , but it does start and run with no nasty rattles yet,
    dint have any proper good 2 stroke but found a litre of Castrol lawnmower 2 stroke and chucked that in
    im hoping that its getting through to the cylinder,i can smell it so I assume it,ll be ok,
    today Im gonna fit all them shitty plastics and send him round the block on it ,he might be very lucky and not need a top end strip down,
    il let you know what happens:(:mad::mad::mad::mad:

5. Gemma

Gemma Captain Spooky

Rides:
    VT 500 E
    Aw nooooo! You have my sympathies! Sounds a bit like our first trip after the CBT, that was a two mile trail of white smoke followed by the inevitable breakdown.

Sounds like you have it covered now though, fingers crossed for it being reliable from now on.

My son's ped tried to refuse to start this morning for the MOT, it probably thought it was going to be scrapped or something. Finally got it to run after about 20 minutes by fiddling about with the mixture screw. Lovely cold windy journey on wet and greasy roads to the MOT station. At least it sailed through the MOT, but I soon lost my smile when I got on it to ride back and it started to poor down. :( :(:(

6. nellyt5

nellyt5 Member

well its KNACKERED
    I worked on it til gone 9 last night
    then 2 hours today putting it back together
    he took it round the block twice and all seemed good ,so he went out on it,then about 20 mins ago he came back pushing it, "its done it again"
    I really feel for him as hes saved up hard to buy it and insure it,
    now hes lost all faith in it and he wants to sell it and get a 4 stroke

im capable of sorting it out I think but he wants rid now

its gonna need a re-bore and piston kit,then he,ll have to run it in properly or we,ll be back to square one
    poor lad:(:(

7. Gemma

Gemma Captain Spooky

Rides:
    VT 500 E
    Oh no what a nightmare :(

8. nellyt5

nellyt5 Member

UPDATE;;
    well I think the mixture was too rich,AND the oil pump was not set correctly
    the mixture screw was 4 turns out so I set that at the 2.5 turns out and adjusted the idle to compensate for high revving, then I set the oil pump to feed a little more it was about 3mm off the mark
    hes been round the block about a dozen times and all seemed good
    now they,ve both gone out with their mates ,4 bloody scooters together, what a racket!!!!!

so hopefully I wont get a call out late tonight again
    fingers crossed for me guys

I don't know whether to get washed up and get me jimjams on [ well I don't wear jimjams ]
    or just sit here in me scruffs twiddling me thumbs for a wee bit longer:confused:

half an hour has passed and NO phonecall yet
    maybe just maybe

9. Gemma

Gemma Captain Spooky

Rides:
    VT 500 E
    Everything crossed here :)

10. nellyt5

nellyt5 Member

thanks buddy

11. nellyt5

nellyt5 Member

well I couldn't wait any longer ,had to ring em too see if everything is ok
    and they,re all at mac donalds ,everything is good SO FAR

12. nellyt5

nellyt5 Member

UPDATE:( news good and bad
    the good news ;
    the aerox 100 seems to be ok
    the bad ;
    the bloody vx is playing up AGAIN

it WAS running and starting fine,then the other night at 10pm I got the dreaded phonecall
    from our lad, "it started perfect but it wont rev up" so i,told him to let it idle for a few minutes
    which did the trick and got him home, the following morning after the battery was on charge all night
    [ yesterday ] I tried starting it and it wouldn't have it

now ive got a spark and fuel
    ive re-located that crappy earth cable after a clean up [the one to the left engine case]

I tried it this morning and no good,
    I did notice that the wires going into the starter solenoid are slightly corroded
    so that's my next job

cant understand why it was ok now it wont have it:mad::mad:

13. hairyjim

hairyjim To be repaired, restored.i hope.

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    Hi Nell.any luck with the vx

14. nellyt5

nellyt5 Member

hi jim
    well ive checked everything I know
    but the battery is defo knackered so ive bought a new un ,the old battery is/was a 8ah and ive bought a 9ah
    I had to fill it with the acid supplied , that by itself is not as easy as I thought as I could only see the levels in the dark wth a torch right behind it, whats up with the old clear batteries ?
    so its now on charge for a bit, I did get it running [ just ] with the old battery then like a twat I turned it off so I could re-fit the air filter box which I had forgot, then it went dead again, its deffo knackered cuz from flat to fully charged only takes 20 mins

so with a fully charged battery is should start ok I think
    il let you know

ps I didn't know that a new battery had to be charged up before use
    but hey you live and learn

15. turbovetto

turbovetto Well-Known Member

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
    If only all dads were as f%@king cool ! Respect.
    On a purely mechanical note - sometimes its just easier to have done with it and drop the engine off, remove all the plastic (the hardest part......) and check everything in one go. If it's not actually seized - it's just peripheral bullshit.
    Most of the problems I had like that would have been obvious in good light with the thing stripped bare & the engine on the table.......
    Which is why I no longer try & solve recurring problems without dropping the engine & plonking it on the table....... And lord knows I've tried avoiding it.........

good luck

16. hairyjim

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    Hi Nell.looks like that vx is gonna be a learning curve for us all..good you've got a new battery for it.the acid is supplied at its normal acidity for the cells so you get a good voltage but looks like you need to give it a bit of a charge to get it up to the oomph you need for it to turn that lump over.hopefully that's gonna cure any issues you've had relating to batteries...now we gotta hope the engine can behave and not spit its dummy out for a while.

17. nellyt5

nellyt5 Member

update ;
    you aint gonna belive this;

I put the new battery on charge til fully charged
    fitted it and tried to start the vx AND.......................................................

IT WOULDNT HAVE IT

I couldn't believe it either,
    it was turning over very very slowly , so I checked and cleaned every electrical connection
    still no good

checked all the fuel lines
    still no good

it was like something was stuck, now I don't know what made me think of doing it but I removed the tranny cover
    removed the belt and re-fitted tranny cover ,AND it fired up instantly turning over really fast
    yep you guessed it, the clutch was stuck , unless I didn't fit it correctly,but I don't know how I can not fit it right,
    which would explain why the teeth on the old variator backplate were worn ,the starter was turning the belt as well as the motor ,not good hey?
    its a wonder the starter dint burn out
    anyway our lad,s in bed at the mo and hes got his key with him in that scary smelly place he calls his bedroom
    so when he finally rises from his pit im gonna try the vx again
    as usual il let you all know the outcome
    cheers guys for reading all this waffle of mine
    but I thought by posting all this it may help others in the future with similar problems
    nelly

18. Gemma

Gemma Captain Spooky

Rides:
    VT 500 E
    Not waffle to me, having been through a similar learning curve with my son's ped not only useful information but it is also really helps just to know I'm not alone. Plus it is hilarious to hear how similar your lads are to my son :)

Agree with Turbovetto, I'm finding it easiest to take all the plastics off first. I'll now add the side cover too, just so I can get a look at what is going on with everything before I start to try and problem solve. ;)

Having a spare battery over the winter months won't be a bad thing. Keep one on the ped and the other on a conditioner ready would be an idea.

PS key wise I have spares for his lock and ped on my key ring. He doesn't know this, but firstly it means I don 't have to search the scary smelly place or disturb him when he's in there, secondly, when I get that call saying 'muuumm I've lost me key' it won't be all that big a deal :D

19. turbovetto

turbovetto Well-Known Member

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
    Well done, you solved it!
    on a related note - here's a list of daft things that go wrong on standard scoots that you might think about replacing:

Fuel pipes. Why do they make them 3 cm too short? They go hard because of the petrol and then crack because there isn't enough slack for the suspension travel. I spent an amusing afternoon trying to fix an engine that would start, fly and then cut. No dice for 10 mins and then it would go fine for 500 yards. Stop & repeat.

Spark plug caps. Why not use the standard ones (where you don't have to take the nipple off the plug? When it just goes on the thread, the thread destroys the spring clip over time and the cap just falls off. get a propper NGK cap for the HT lead!

Clutches (well, you know all about them).get a Malossi & have done with it!

Fuel filters! On a carb that has a pilot circuit the diameter of a human hair, why don't they fit a decent fuel filter as standard?
    I won't tell you how much aggro a blocked pilot circuit causes.

Synthetic oil. You need it. Castrol fully synth has saved my bacon - and my gal's (who does over 40 miles a day most days.

I'm sure I've forgotten some.... but apart from the clutch we're talking the price of a round of drinks.

best regards,
    tv

PS- love the teenage parent comments Gemma! I know exactly where you're coming from !

20. hairyjim

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    this threads a cracker...well done Nelly..taught us ALL a thing or three with that little ped..dunno bout a "Haynes" manual for these PEDs..need more like a "brains" manual..you deserve a medal taking on teenagers and chinkey peds.I cant handle either...looking forward to ya episode mate..high 5 to ya.

turbovetto likes this.