newbie nel here again ; problems maybe???

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by nellyt5, Dec 9, 2013.

1. nellyt5

nellyt5 Member

right,
    our lads vx 125 is now sorted as you may know
    it runs perfect and starts on the button [ most of the time ] but now ;
    when the starter engages there is a cling cling cling noise ,like something is loose:eek:
    if it were a car I would say that it was the ring gear

ive changed the bendix gear and checked the starter motor.
    I don't think it is the solenoid but im probably wrong
    even with a fully charged battery this noise is apparent

now its made this noise from the day he got it 3 weeks approx.
    but today after hearing the noise and choosing to ignore it again
    the starter didn't want to engage and just whizzed , [ which points to the solenoid ]
    but eventually it finally engaged and cracked up straight away
    once its running its as quiet as a mouse and rides spot on

hopefully its not a split engine job [ wishful thinking I know ]

so can any of you guys come to the rescue please:eek:
    Im alright with spanners and the like
    but I need to know whats wrong before I can fix it
    cheers guys:)

2. nellyt5

nellyt5 Member

oh dear
    15 views and no replies yet
    any suggestions welcome

3. hairyjim

hairyjim To be repaired, restored.i hope.

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    Hello Nell.ide have a look at the teeth on the bit the bendix engages onto ..if your getting a wizzing noise but no engine turning over,chances are its a bit worn...try kicking it over and then use the starter.if the starter turns the lump more often than not doing that.chances are its what you think it is..Teeth would then be in a diferent place and engage but when it gets to the bit thats worn it wont turn and your back to square one. I hope it ain't gonna be like the last issue...have a check that there ain't any washers to pack out the Bendix..might noot be throwing out far enough to engage

4. nellyt5

nellyt5 Member

ay up jim
    I did have a quick look at the teeth when I replaced the bendix gear
    they all looked fine. but no kick start on this one im afraid
    bit confused now tho when you say "chances are its what you think it is"
    solenoid?
    ring gear ? where is the ring gear? inside the cases on the end of the crank?:eek:
    its a sort of chinging sound , quite loud , rather like an old bicycle bell falling down some concrete steps
    talk about confused.com:(

5. hairyjim

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    Oh dear.right.I'm not familiar with the engine ...just going by what I've experienced in the past with "conventional" engines..if the Bendix goes inside the engine out of sight..that's where your engagement for it will be.is the battery a new one..mine didn't start at all well with an old battery.though it held a charge and sorted the lights well ....it didn't like cranking the engine fast enough for it to catch..if you've got a good charger that can supply a hefty current or a car with some jump leads..try a jump..the jangly noise I can only stab in the dark at..sounds like something's loose..at a guess...but knowing the last problems solution...could be anything.

6. nellyt5

nellyt5 Member

no its not a new battery but it seems to hold its charge enough , I have to keep charging it tho cuz our lad keeps starting it every farts end but its not being ridden to charge it back up
    hes got his cbt on sunday then he,ll be all over the place on it and hopefully the battery will be constantly charged
    ive just been out to it this morning , its bloody cold today, its been on charge all night and it started straight away ,turning over really fast with only a hint of the changing noise

so It could well be the battery after all
    we,ll see how it is next week when its I constant use

7. hairyjim

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    1. Might be a good idea to get a new battery and have one on charge and ready for the next weeks CBT if it plays up.I can get about 10 minutes of cranking time on mine before it starts to slow abit..has been a bit cold here too and a kick is better for mine to start on than the starter lately.doing 10_6 nights and mornings a bugger to start it with the damp too.feel like a vampire...its time for my coffin so I'm off to sleep...

8. nellyt5

nellyt5 Member

tried it earlier and it wouldn't have it, it was turning over ok but not really fast
    so after a 30 minute charge I tried it again and it cracked up right away and it turned over a lot faster
    so I reckon you are right and a new battery is needed ,
    he wont like that lol:D

9. hairyjim

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    Well,Christmas is coming and a little battery wont take up too much room under the tree..if its charging OK on a charger ...it should be OK for now but best to get a new one and you won't have the grief when he cant start it miles from help.your know if its any good after he gets the c.b.t. and rides it about for a while..I know what its like having a bike and not be able to ride it..new battery for chrimbo and hold on to the old one for emergencies..

scootzmadness likes this.
  10. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    A new battery will only be around £35, well worth the money. From new or anytime it need's charging with a low amperage charger, less than 1 amp! Car battery chargers are a bit to much for bike battery's.

11. nellyt5

nellyt5 Member

thanks guys ,
    id better get a new un then
    ive already thought of the "me ped wont start " scenario ,
    don't fancy that on a frosty evening at 10pm when he finishes work
    new battery it is
    merry Christmas guys

12. nellyt5

nellyt5 Member

I think ive found the problem guys
    looked a bit deeper today
    the variator back plate ,the dish with the sliders on has no teeth left on it
    so ive ordered the complete shibang
    complete variator assembly,comprising of the variator,back plate,sliders,rollers,belt,spacer
    luckily the splines on the crank look ok
    so that,ll be the changing sound when starting I assume

also ive had the clutch off and gave it a good clean and blow out
    and roughed up the clutch plates with sandpaper too
    the clutch bell was full of filthy crap which needed brake cleaner to shift it
    the clutch plates don't seem to be contaminated so we,ll have to see what happens

tell ya what guys,
    you soon learn how these things work [ or don't work ] don't ya?

our lad should of bought a bloody frame and had me build it up bit by bit by the time weve finished

give me a Honda grandad 90 any day :(:mad:

13. nellyt5

nellyt5 Member

righty then

fitted the new variator assembly ,back plate,variator,rollers,spacer,and a new belt
    AND ................................
    it starts ,its turning over much better BUT..............
    the clinging sound is still present and the starter motor seems to continue to turn for a second or 2 after the engine has started
    it must be the starter motor itself as ive replaced the bendix with a new un !

but at least its starting now
    ready for his cbt on sunday

whats next ????:mad:

14. Gemma

Gemma Captain Spooky

Rides:
    VT 500 E
    Keep at it, I'm also a parent on a learning curve with twist and goes, to think a month ago I didn't know what a variator was lol. You'll sort it all out and get it better than new in the end ;)

15. nellyt5

nellyt5 Member

lol
    yeah ive had all sorts of bikes in my time from ap50s, fizzes,
    rd350s,ktm950,z1000 etc etc
    but every one ive had has had proper gears and clutch
    and a proper petrol tap which you can turn off , and a reserve tank
    I just cant see what there is to like about these ped things
    little wheels,crap ride,too much plastic,

anyways I think [ hope ] its sorted now until next week lol:(:rolleyes:

16. hairyjim

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    Hi hi Nell.these things are sent to try us.if your starter is still turning after your button is released then ide say it MIGHT be a sticky solenoid relay starter unit thingy..don't now where it would be on yours but it will have the thick wire from your starter motor connected to it ...trace that wire back and...bingo..there it is...2 nuts a couple of thin wires too on it...easy swap..fix?..looks like the variator (ring gear) was worn after all..were all learning with these things..have you had a look at the clutch mechanism..if the noise is only there when your cranking it..it could be a naff starter motor..and If every things tight at the variator end...the noise may be at the clutch end..as it all takes up the slack from running it all pulls together but when it all at rest there's a bit of slack in the system...could be that its all pulling together and the slack disappears and then no noise..if yer know what I mean...

17. Gemma

Gemma Captain Spooky

Rides:
    VT 500 E
    Tell me about it.

I did his throttle cable, it took me 2 minutes to fit and adjust the cable but 2 days in all to take off all the plastic, replace all the missing screws and put it back together as it should be. I also had to remove the under seat toilet thing and take off the exhaust just to be able to see the oil pump and check it was set right with the new cable. :(

I currently have a Honda VT500E, nostalgia thing from my courier days in the past, but have owned all sorts of bikes in the past, biggest being an FJ 1200. Also in recent years had a Pan European which didn't do my back much good but it was one hell of machine.

My own ped back in the day was a Suzuki ZR50, I could get my head round that OK as it was just really a little motorbike with a real gearbox, chain and sprockets and stuff ;)

Still we won't let them beat us eh :D

18. nellyt5

nellyt5 Member

lol under seat toilet lol lol:D

yes jim the starter solenoid was my next port of call
    as you say everything is tight on the variator end
    and ive cleaned out the other end sorry clutch end lol
    but as it is its running at the mo
    thanks for the pointer regarding where to find the solenoid
    il have a look when I get chance but I reckon that after sunday we wont see our lad for a while
    sorry ,that's when hes got his cbt
    il keep you all posted
    thanks guys

btw
    why don't his helmet fit in the under seat toilet?????lol

19. Gemma

Gemma Captain Spooky

Rides:
    VT 500 E

Beats me, we found this out arriving at footy last week, first time he used it to go somewhere rather than just riding around. Takes off helmet, puts it in toilet, seat wont' shut. Turns helmet around still won't shut. I thought that was what it was for. Still it is a good place for a hefty bike lock. He didn't half moan though about having to carry his helmet. So I decided to get him a small top box for xmas, cheep on Ebay and will just about take a full face helmet.

20. nellyt5

nellyt5 Member

hmmm
    I tried my helmet in the "toilet" today and it fits
    now mine is a large and his is a small :confused:

I think that the hump in the middle of the "toilet" is too big for a small helmet
    if that makes sense lol
    so im gonna remove the hump ,[theres only 1 screw holding it in] ,
    and see if his fits,if it does then il make one with a smaller hump , or just leave it off ,
    mind you hes daft enough already without sniffing petrol fumes out of his helmet lol
    cbt tomoz for both my lads

so that's 2 of everything ive had to sort

2x mot
    2x tax
    2x insurance
    2x full petrol tanks
    2x helmets
    1 full 2 stroke tank [ ones a vx 4 stroke ]
    and loads and loads and loads of pissing about with variators and daft belts
    and carbs
    they don't have a clue what they've let theirselves into do they??