New RS125

Discussion in 'Bike Chat' started by cringer, Feb 18, 2009.

1. FirE

FirE New Member

Rides:
    172 oyster card beep
    ross ross ross. what do you define as the quilitys that make a good road bike?

sports bikes in general make bad road bikes because they are designed to make good track bikes.

think about it

2. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    honda use a honda engine... aprilia use a ROTAX desighn, aprilia RIPPED the desighn for the 125 FROM the honda rs.... [​IMG]
    they made these LONG befor aprilia.. aprilia are a nock up company, they never made a single part till this decade.. fake company fake bikes built the cheapest way from other peoples parts., yes they make most of there own stuff now, but the original rs125 treack bike was a blueprint of a honda desighn.
    [​IMG]
    engine cast by honda for honda.
    [​IMG]
    engine desighned by rotax maybe cast by aprilia...

so what part of the rs125 is ACTUALLY desighned by aprilia? not picking an argument, just stating how fake aprilia is as a bike building company.. i can buy parts from other manufactors and put minor125rs on the side.. dont mean i desighned the fucking thing

3. ROSSRS

ROSSRS New Member

the only reason the honda, aprilia, ktm, derbis, every other 125 gp bike looks the same is because thats the best shape the rules allow. it's like arguing that every f1 car looks the same when you take the paint off. no one is going to have a square front fairing.
    rotax build the rs road bike's engines, aprilia will have had specifications for it, rotax designed an engine around aprilia's ideas. rotax also design engines for bmw, they're capable but obviously it's easier and cheaper to sub it out even for a massive company like them. none of these companies are in this to lose money. the race engines are designed by aprilia. the original aprilia race bike (125) was the af1, not the rs.
    aprilia designed the bike. chassis, fairing, wheels, sub'd the engine out to someone with more experience than them. aprilia built loads of bikes for decades before on their own, mostly trials bikes, probably still using other peoples engines.
    using the same argument, you could say that every bimota excluding the v due (bimota engined) was crap. the exact opposite is true.

I'd say a good road bike is comfortable, quick enough to keep up with traffic, reliable, easy to manouver, safe with regards to braking and road holding.

4. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    so the fact the rs is a prittymuch carbon copy is down to rules and legislation? oh come on..... most f1 cars look identical as there GIVEN a shape to work to, then tweak it as they like, they are technically stock cars afterall... all the research an developm ent teams do is on the engine and tiny aspects of the cars aerodynamics (slightly move lines, arial position and driver position due to size/hight/seating position)

anyone can look at a rs125 against the honda and SEE its fucking identical!! telling me 2 diff people went into little rooms and desighned identical bikes opposite sides of the world? (or the aprilia desighner just plain didnt see a honda for 5 years prior to making there rs)

the aprilia is a rip off of the honda, they did a road version, it was and will always be considderd a peice of shit (in my eyes anyway, well, mine and ALOT of other people) some people love em, try a fuckin honda version. you know, the ORIGINAL

as for the quality of the road version, previous owners speak for aprilia themselves.. anyone i know who has owned one (bar one or two people) would NEVER touch one again, and are now jap only riders.

you may well be an aprilia fan ross, im not.. this isnt about personal preferance, its about aprilia rs125's being plain SHIT for any application (wich they are, sorry to say) the 250, fucking crackin bike, cant nock it. if suzuki didnt make the rgv id have probably owned one by now. the 125 ois a wank bike for every reason, shit on a track (handles well, altho the engine go's bang and oh wait, honda do one that is identical handeling wise) shit on the road (again, blows up, shit turning circle, cheaped out parts from the lowest bidder on any single contract to keep costs from subcontracting down, poor dealer backup, horible riding position, problem prone electrics, weak pannels, need i go on) so whats that leave? look REAL nice in a garage in the chesterfield/playstation/extreema r moddel. other than that DONT BUY ONE

5. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    Re:

just to prove a point, chris has had a few (and still owns one i belive)....

love conquors all... you know somthings shit, you know not to advise people get one, but you love them all the same, cant nock anyone for this, im typh mad when all my m8's (my age) are on jap inline 4's...

6. ROSSRS

ROSSRS New Member

yep. it's the most aerodynamic shape they can squeeze a rider behind. so thats the shape they all use. f1 cars come out like that because every aspect of its shape is normally covered by the rules so there's only a handful of variations. i design parts for f1, irl etc, everything is down to what you're allowed.
    of course the aprilia road bike looks like the honda rs race bike. the aprilia race bike looks like the honda race bike (like every other bike on the grid) so as a result the three will all look the same. the new shape rs isn't a replica, so it looks nothing like the gp bike. the rs road bike is NOTHING like the honda rs in terms of performance, handling, chassis components, engine design. you should put the two side by side, most of us would struggle to fit on a honda.
    not a massive aprilia fan, yamaha is more my thing. aprilia has sold thousands of rs's year after year after year. the honda nsr on the other hand was never anywhere near as succesful in the uk. or the rest of europe. the engine doesn't go bang every ten minutes like everyone seems to think, for a 28hp 125 it's amazingly reliable. rings and a check every year doesn't seem a lot to me. the riding position is 10 times better than the mito or nsr, it's much more upright and spacious. turning circle is as bad as most sportsbikes, it doesn't hinder it whilst riding around town etc. of course areas are compromised, it's built to a very small budget, i've built one to a 8k budget and its vastly better but then who would buy a 8k 125? for 3.5k new or 1100 second hand, the quality is brilliant.

7. chadz

chadz Member

fukin hell this still going on lol

FirE everyone as a different hobbie end of. I know many bikers who cant fukin stand scooters

I owned and lived with a rs125 so i know the ins and outs. I love them and most aprilia bikes

2poke ftw

8. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster

fire had an rs... i spent weeks replacing near on every part... as i have wiht every other rs in south london. not ignorance, its insight

9. ROSSRS

ROSSRS New Member

it was most likely ignorance of the previous owners. they're not inherently unreliable. hardly talking kr1-s levels of shitness

10. FirE

FirE New Member

Rides:
    172 oyster card beep
    thank your for pointing that out minor :up: .

chadz the hobbies bit was me taking the piss out of you stating becuase your mate collects 2 strokes it means they are popular (just in case you missed that one darlin :tup: )

il point out to you.
    you said your friend "collects" them... say it with me now "collects"
    any person with sense only "collects" things that are... yep you got it "collectible" ... meaning... it would be stupid to say the least to collect some thing thats not rare or becoming rare. we on the same page here? good.

ross rs aka my name suggest it but no im not a bias rs or aprilia fan at all minor swear down!

all of the things you stated about making a good road bike are what sports bikes in genral and the rs especially is not.
    you live by the sea side, im guessing you haven't tryed to commute in a busy city (lets say london) on a rev happy, peeky, small power band, uncomfortable, noisey(goodnoise but your neighbor wont agree), wait 20 mins for it to warm up (shit im late for work now), me, t3rr0 or minor cant even fit on one, robust as a funking paper aero plane etc etc.

and sells dont make a bike a good road bike. the r6 is the best selling 600 but its one of the worst road bikes in its class.

id say looks play a big part

11. ROSSRS

ROSSRS New Member

they're not peaky! try riding one with the powervalve jammed open to see what peaky is like, or even the first rs250's. 12k isn't rev happy, thou twins rev that high. they're robust enough to survive for more than a decade with someone than cares if you look at the early models. i guess the warm up is a pain for some people but i've never been late because of it, but you're right that it could be a pain. new 600's are smaller than the rs so you can't hold that against it, it's designed for the majority.
    didn't use sales figures to argue it's quality as a road bike, just as a marker of how it would seem to be an ok bike as vast amounts of people think it's good enough to part with 3.5k with year after year.
    i'm all for opinions, but most of the arguments against it are blown so out of proportion or unfounded.
    it's rossrs because i had one when i joined. i've had more of other bikes than aprilias.

12. chadz

chadz Member

give up

13. seanwhite06

seanwhite06 New Member

Rides:
    runner 172, zx6r
    their amzing imo and miss mine to fuck!
    reliability is, as ross sed, perfectly acceptable if you keep on top of it. its no different to a 28bhp runner/typh/motorcross bike.
    you wouldnt jump on one, run shity oil, rag it form cold, not expect to have to change the rings now and again etc etc etc.
    im 6ft and i found my rs so much more comfortable than my zx6r.no problems with positioning etc
    and alot easier to ride, in and out of town.

yea there is alot of shitters out their, but then again theres alot of shit runners/ typhs etc.
    thats only because they are as fast as you are going to get at 17 so therefore they are going to get abused by clutch slipping powerbanding teeneagers...... but then again isnt this what having a geared 2 stroke is all about.........???

yea ive had one... yea im biased... a well... i love them! keeps me happy lol :w00t:

14. FirE

FirE New Member

Rides:
    172 oyster card beep
    yes chads out!! just ross to go.

well ross my boy you should of taken the long run in to account when chossing a name son :p
    i get your point.
    i like the rs (surprise!) i just think its a poor choice for learners and for the road.

put it in context.

think about who the bikes intended for and what it is good for.
    they dont match up.

which is why when you say they get a bad rep because people dont look after them it makes no sense as the bikes for learners with little or no experience!

ps by "rev happy" i dont mean its rpm limit i mean the fact that your have to chase that limit in each gear to keep it on the boil and get any where at good pace.

and what part of a 600 is smaller then a 125 rs? :wtf:

15. chadz

chadz Member

only reason im out becasue we have different views so will never end lol

16. seanwhite06

seanwhite06 New Member

Rides:
    runner 172, zx6r
    wheel base and seat height is smaller on the new r6's im led to believe. think the latest gixxer is pretty close to it aswell.

pure race bikes are tiny though. i sat on a honda rs125 once and fuk me i swear my old aprillia rs50 was bigger! lol

17. ROSSRS

ROSSRS New Member

ahh, thats exactly my point; the bike is brilliant but the market it's intended for will never appreciate it fully.
    the gp bikes are tiny, i'll try and get a pic of my rs next to a honda soon. new 600's are tiny, my rvf was small next to the rs.

18. FirE

FirE New Member

Rides:
    172 oyster card beep
    no chadz you quit because your a quiter and couldnt handel the pressure of the debate. dont be a bad loser man (dont take my victory away from me, my girl wins all the arguments usally so this is rare for me ok!?)

and i can fit on my vfr, i couldnt fit on my rs at all

and a 600 is bigger then a rs in every way boys, weight, seat height, wheeel base
    eg
    2008 r6 :166 kg (dry),(seat height) 850.9 mm, (wheeel base ) 1379.2 mm
    2008 rs :115 kg (dry), (seat height) 805 mm, (wheeel base ) 1345 mm

19. ROSSRS

ROSSRS New Member

of course the 600's are heavier, not much to do with fitting on the bike though. seat height and wheelbase do nothing to indicate rider comfort or rider size limitations. if you can find the seat pad to foot peg as a linear dimension from the centre/sides of the pad to centre peg of each bike, that'd be more useful. seems like a lot of hassle.
    no idea why you fit on your vfr but not rs, growth spurt?

[​IMG]

pegs on rvf were much closer to my arse than the aprilia, as is visible on the pic/

20. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    arm length plays a big part in comfort on a bike.

rs=badly copied gp bike, plastic gearbox, poor quality casting on everything, bad welds on the frame, shit plastics, shit elecctrics and really horible controls (throttle is shit, switches are all shit, pegs are too soft, gearbox is clunky, clutch feels crap/cheap) other than that there ok bikes.. if that LEAVEs anything.

learner bike = no
    daily comute = no
    easy round town = no
    good on motorways/big roads = no
    sunday blast with the boys then home for a smoke while you clean/check every part, yes. just like a 28 brake runner/crosser...

the argument is wether it makes a good road bike, the rationel was against crossers and tunned 2 stroke scooters wich are NOT GOOD ROAD BIKES LOL there fun toys.

fact is i personally dislike any aprilia, but personal preferance aside they have there place.. there place is with enthusiasts who dont mind keeping ontop of upkeep/parts/warm up procedure/expensive oils.. lets face it, none of us ride scooters for practicality. my car uses less petrol. rs owners can not explain there obcession/like and i dont want them to,. enthusiasts OFTEN defend there chosen bike incorrectly tho. you love it, but to others there shit.. as far as a practical road bike go's its at the bottom of my list with road going crossers and anything chineese/pitbike shaped. so as its sold as a practiocal road bike it IS a peice of shit, if sold as a weekend race bike you canr ide on the road then ye, it works.. RACE REPS ARNT DAILY DRIVERS

so anyone wanting an rs ask yourself "do i mind if this blows up now an again? do i mind spending more and more money on it?"

argue all you want owners, i was repairing rs's LONG befor i had scoots... everyone i know who owned one ended up with bigger bikes or jap built 2t geard bikes.. there known for being shit as there a race 2t and people dont treat them right? how the fuck comes rgv's/tzr's/nsr's/rd's arnt?

can go back an forth for hours on this but opinion doesent outweigh fact.. fact is ive not known an rs that DIDNT blow up/shread a gearbox/kill a clutch basket/eat a piston/have lkevers break off below 10k miles.. yes it may be owners, but i DO know of alot of jap gheard 2t's WELL into 30k miles wiht NO problems.. owned by similar people warned off rs's by myself. hapily