New honda x8r-s

Discussion in 'Newbie Scooter Tuning' started by Ty1, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Nathanael

Nathanael Active Member

Supposedly there was a metal "bridging wire" on the cdi circuit board itself if you cut into the silicone at a certain point. Removing this was meant to raise the rev limit. I tried this on 2 cdi units and it didnt make a difference on either of them, they still worked afterwwrds. Maybe this only worked on units fitted to certain year/ market bikes.

"was putting it up mainly for future interest of people who might read this thread was all fella, but honestly theres no point in removing the gasket, it barely does anything, might make you wheelie like mad but the engine wont last long. seen it done with three of the lads who go to the college im currently working at. cdi would be first thing id change, dont know if it can be done on the x8r-s but i think the restriction in the exhaust can be cut out (can on most other scoots and first thing i do on my hondas) but probably easier to just change the exhaust lol"

youre right, I should have mentioned to only try this if you know what you are doing. It worked for me as I had 2.5mm clearance between piston and head and removal of the gasket brought it down to a touch over 1mm. Kept an eye on things for a week or two till I was satisfied it would remain properly sealed and it worked perfectly.

2. Ty1

Ty1 New Member

Rides:
    Honda x8r
    Alright fellas . I was wondering if something like this cdi ,ebay item no 161091492950 would work if I was to match the plug up ? Surely they all do the same thing if the plug fits . I've interchanged on bikes before never on scoots though . ( I've red something about cutting into it but this also doesn't derestrict fully apparently ) thanks ty

3. Ty1

Ty1 New Member

Rides:
    Honda x8r
    Also I have found out it has the same engine as the srx shadow . But with a modified cylinder and exhaust

4. Nathanael

Nathanael Active Member

I tried something similar on mine also, it popped the fuse when fitted and ignition turned on. Ended up with something more expensive but meant for my engine. Looking back it was probably just a case of power and earth wires needing swapped round in the connector block.You could try it, but its a definate risk.

5. Ty1

Ty1 New Member

Rides:
    Honda x8r
    I have cut back the silicone and cut the wire ( thick staple ) in the cdi and re sealed with silicone . This has took me up to around 38-40 flat out ( no boncing on the limiter) . Paired up with the new variator this mite do the trick , surely if not a up jet and new pipe will thanks

6. Nathanael

Nathanael Active Member

Happy days, looks like you are getting somewhere! and with better results than me :)

7. Ty1

Ty1 New Member

Rides:
    Honda x8r
    Why what are you trying to achieve .? It's get 40 downhill hope I will get 45 with the new variator . The bike wen doing long trips 5 miles plus is getting a hot smell coming form the exhaust . The pipe doesn't seem to be in the best condition a bit of surface rust I was thinking about taking the restriction out the exhaust up jetting and painting the exhaust in heat proof paint to protect it a bit more . Is this normal to get hot on a scoot like this

8. Nathanael

Nathanael Active Member

If the scoot is standard I wouldnt worry about it too much, get the odd whiff of imminent engine death on my own scoot after caning it for a bit but never had any problems. Aircooled scoots usually run fairly warm also

9. Ty1

Ty1 New Member

Rides:
    Honda x8r
    It's only the exhaust can that gets very hot after been thrashed for 5 miles + you get a tink tink tink noise were the pipe is cooling .once you've stoped . New plug fitted about a week and a half ago and checked it out yesterday it looks like it's burning the fuel perfectly by the color of it, had a new sponge so getting plenty of clean air . Nothing else is getting majorly hot just the exhaust . Do you think exhaust could be getting hot due to the restriction and not enough flow causing excessive heat

10. Nathanael

Nathanael Active Member

you are overthinking things, if the plug looks fine and it hasnt destructed yet then its gonn be fine. Being an 03 model it may haave aa catalytic converter in the exhaust, these have to run roasting hot to be effective. I have a brand new zip sp and there was a ring the whole way around the paint on the exhaust from the heat where the cat was positioned, and the paint had been burned completely off the first few inches of the manifold after only a few weeks use.

Pinging when cooling is fine, if you poke your head under a car bonnet after it has had a hard run you will hear exactly the same sounds from parts cooling and contracting :)

11. Ty1

Ty1 New Member

Rides:
    Honda x8r
    Ah I proberly am mate I'll let u know wen the varriator is fitted as people will be intrested to know :)

12. Ty1

Ty1 New Member

Rides:
    Honda x8r
    Just fitted the polini variator with the stock rollers this has made my pick up worse .my power band is around 32mph now . It isn't all that slow but worse. My top end has increase to around 43mph not a massive improvement I know . They sent the wrong belt with it so I have used my old belt for the time being ( don't know if this old belt will be affecting my pick up ).There doesn't seem to be any diameter size difference to the stock one just seems slightly thicker ( I am not sure if this is the right kit as the box says honda Bali / Peugeot sv geo . This is what the seller advertised the item as along with been compatible with honda x8r . ) could somebody please enlighten me thanks :)

13. Ty1

Ty1 New Member

Rides:
    Honda x8r
    Also I have been sent 7.7g rollers and 10g rollers the stocks that I have put back in are 8g rollers will I need to go Heavier or lighter? . I have also been sent 2x large springs blue and white will changing these do anything .?

14. Nathanael

Nathanael Active Member

Any news on them sending the correct belt yet? If it isnt long enough it wont be able to mke its way to the top of the variator so your top speed wont be as high as it should be.

If it feels sluggish till the speed is up to around 30mph then the rollers need to go lighter to let the rpm come up bit. Give the 7.7 polini ones a go though they may not be light enough.

The 2 large springs are what try to hold the rear pulley closed and keep it shunted into a low gear. A stiffer spring will try and hold a lower gear for longer (effectively making your rpm higher) eg. 8g rollers hold the rpm at 7000, with stiffer spring in the rear pulley that will change to 9000rpm.

Perhaps you could try the softer of the 2 springs and see how it works with the 7.7g rollers if the rollers on their own didnt help.

Sorry I havent got back to you sooner, been busy with me own bike ;)

15. Ty1

Ty1 New Member

Rides:
    Honda x8r
    How will I know which is softer stock spring red .or blue polini or white polini . Is the a colour chart of which are stronger ?

16. Nathanael

Nathanael Active Member

The way I do it is stick a heavy weight on top of the spring (like a bucket of stones) and see which one compresses the most. The one that compresses more is the softer spring. The polini ones will most likely be stiffer than the standard one which is what you want. But fit the softer of the 2 or you will just end up with a transmission that is robbing power tryi8ng to overcome the spring tension

17. Ty1

Ty1 New Member

Rides:
    Honda x8r
    The belt I got was like 2-3 inch too small .I have gone with 7.7g with the standard spring . It's now pulling well and getting up to 45 quickly . I am ordering an exhaust and some jets next week so will have a fiddle with that next thanks