New Carburettor problems on an Aerox

Discussion in 'Scooter Tuning' started by rustyscooter, Jan 28, 2014.

1. steveaerox50

steveaerox50 aprilia owner

Rides:
    1999 aprilia rs125
    also i seriously hope you have a sports crank shaft installed and stronger main bearing because that kit will make mince meat of the standard aerox one they arent they strongest cranks to begin with

2. rustyscooter

rustyscooter Active Member

Rides:
    Aerox, Harley, Blade
    please explain, can you give me a link so that I know what you mean

"and the carb will be a 100 times better with a expansion chamber"

3. steveaerox50

Rides:
    1999 aprilia rs125
    I don't need a link im a bike mechanic by trade so i know , basically you have the bigger carb now which is extra fuel and air mixture , you have a upgraded cylinder kit which is cable of over twice the normal horse power a aerox as , so your using a standard crankshaft and bearing which is only capable of the standard horse power that engine should put out which is a bad thing the crank will not last very long at all , and your using the stand exhaust basically on a mid race set up the engine will not be getting the gasses out quick enough so it will be down on power so in other words you need a decent expansion chamber exhaust like the yasuni r exhaust , you will also need to set the variator up you have installed to run with the new exhaust and carb and cylinder kit to keep the bike in its optimum power band under hard acceleration to keep the power constant .

4. rustyscooter

Rides:
    Aerox, Harley, Blade
    The link was for me, so that I could see what you are talking about.

5. steveaerox50

Rides:
    1999 aprilia rs125
    No sorry mate don't have a link but i have worked on 100's of bikes and im sure a few of the lads in here will back up what im saying too

6. Dandruff37

Dandruff37 Active Member

Rides:
    Aprilia SR50 R
    Going back to what I originally said ^ A 21mm is to big for your setup.
    And I strongly agree with steve on the exhaust, you have installed a 70cc cylinder and even upgraded to a larger carb.. so why the stock exhaust? i'd be surprised if it even giving out 2/3rds of the power its capable of. Whack a Yasuni R on it!

7. rustyscooter

Rides:
    Aerox, Harley, Blade
    The supplier told me that this is a matched set, that was how I bought it, the exhaust has no cat or restriction,

the original goal was to make the bike very fast on acceleration to a top speed of around 70, he tells me that the exhaust pipes you are describing are for very high revving engines and not what I need, he races bikes so I guessed he knew what he was talking about, he says that this is the right carb, it just needs setting up, I sent it back two weeks ago for him to set it up on a customers bike, but he has not sorted it out yet.

http://www.psntuning.co.uk/scooter_parts.php?prt_id=2980

http://www.psntuning.co.uk/scooter_parts.php?prt_id=469

http://www.psntuning.co.uk/scooter_parts.php?prt_id=3215

http://www.psntuning.co.uk/scooter_parts.php?prt_id=3093

8. turbovetto

turbovetto Well-Known Member

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
    They are all fine parts - except for the exhaust - which is fine for passing your MOT or fetching the chief comissioner's daughter, but absolute pants as far as the potential of that kit is concerned.
    I would postulate that the guy who sold that exhaust either knows nothing - or does not stock Yasuni exhausts.
    The Yasuni R is what you need - and I should know because I have two scoots I look after, both currently with Stage 6 sport pro and both with Yas R's. And I also have a C 16 to play with.
    The beauty of that combo is that you can regulate it for acceleration or lowish rev cruising according to how you load the variator.

steveaerox50 and rustyscooter like this.
  9. rustyscooter

Rides:
    Aerox, Harley, Blade

I'm puzzled now, he races Aerox so I would think he knew something, and he stocks Yasuni R exhaust,

10. turbovetto

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
    Legal reasons ? Doesn't trust you to not kill yourself with a powerful scoot ? It's a big responsibility being a professional mechanic.

steveaerox50 likes this.
  11. steveaerox50

Rides:
    1999 aprilia rs125
    iv built 3 aerox's from the frame up and maintained them with many upgrades he is a typical dealer who will sell you anything and tell you anything to make a sale trust me that exhaust he as sold you is pants for that cylinder kit , if he races aerox and knew what he was talking about he would of also told you a 12-15 hp cylinder kit is way to strong for the original crankshaft and bearings id only run a cast iron 70 on a aerox standard crankshaft as they old produce upto 10 hp and lower revs than a aluminium bore , also with him saying he races aerox he should no roughly how to jet jet the carb and what rollers weights to guide you on for your goal of 70mph which i can tell you , you wont achieve with that exhaust and just a variator and carb you going to need some fine tuning on your transmission and a gear up kit , because aerox's are not geard from the factory to achive 70mph on standard gearing id say 60 tops , as a aerox lover for the least amount of work i would of gone for a l/c gilera scooter they have a 17.5 carb as standard , a taller gear ratio , and a stronger crank shaft would of been ideal for your goal and practicality for you

rustyscooter likes this.
  12. turbovetto

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
    Agree with Steve 100 percent - except to say that for top speed I'd say 50 tops with a decent variator. Piaggio parts are all bigger and better than stock Yam/MBK.
    On the other hand, the minarelli horizontal lump does have some good things going for it - The admission is bigger (better) than the piaggio for a start - and there is nothing wrong with it that can't be put right with a little time & money. I'm thinking transmission here. Plus the frame is a bit lower slung - and even better when the suspension is lowered than most of the Piapias. And most of them look better too. Zip ? What a fugly scoot !

13. steveaerox50

Rides:
    1999 aprilia rs125
    I agree turbo as always but all piaggio / gilera scooter are not fugly in fact the gilera runner , piaggio nrg , typhoon , and the dna are on par with mbk and yamaha in my eyes and well my aerox had 65mph clock speed so id say 58-60 mph gps speed that was with a polini cast iron 70 kit transmission set just so with malossi goodies , a 17.5mm carb with standard filter , the crank gave in on me 6000 miles later so i rebuilt the engine with a doppler crank and skf race mains capable of holding upto 16k revs left the gearing (primary and secondary ratios ) standard though was going to upgrade but i sold her and moved on to my rs125 , then spoilt my self with a gsxr 600 , ps sorry about all the typing errors is early in the morning and im waiting for my rs to warm up outside while i have a coffee and get ready for a lovely day of rebuilding a seized up yamaha dtr 125 engine at work so multi tasking at the moment (wish people looked after there pride and joy like we do ) :-(

14. turbovetto

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
    it's true. The latest crop of piaggios are better looking than the old ones.

15. rustyscooter

Rides:
    Aerox, Harley, Blade
    Would the Dellorto PHVA 17.5 be better than the one I have

16. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Yes, in spades.

17. rustyscooter

Rides:
    Aerox, Harley, Blade
    like this one?

PHVA 17.5 Dellorto carb 007.JPG
    PHVA 17.5 Dellorto carb 002.JPG PHVA 17.5 Dellorto carb 003.JPG PHVA 17.5 Dellorto carb 005.JPG

18. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Isn't that one opposite handed for the adjustment screws on your machine, or can the screws be reversed to the other side? They would certainly be on the wrong side for my Peugeot.

rustyscooter likes this.
  19. rustyscooter

Rides:
    Aerox, Harley, Blade
    Yes, it is on the opposite side from the factory fit carb, but even so, that was not easy to get to either, the problem I have with this carb is that petrol pours out of the overflow hole in the bottom,

20. turbovetto

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
    Hi
    check floats/needle valve. If the floats are holed and sunk or there is crud in the needle valve seat - that would do it -