New Carburettor problems on an Aerox

Discussion in 'Scooter Tuning' started by rustyscooter, Jan 28, 2014.

1. turbovetto

turbovetto Well-Known Member

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
    i strongly suspect that the engine has a leak and any carb you put on there will be impossible to regulate. You have all the symptoms- and riching up the mixture screw has no effect.
    I've been wrong before, but if you have an old innertube, some 5 mm alloy plate and some quiksteel - you can find out once and for all.

good luck

rustyscooter likes this.
  2. rustyscooter

rustyscooter Active Member

Rides:
    Aerox, Harley, Blade
    if I put the original cab back on, the engine runs fine, would that not mean that it is the new carb which is causing the problem.

3. turbovetto

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
    if the engine works well with the old carb- ignore my last post. Mr Bizzle's theory is therefore correct and you just need a 17.5 carb-
    I thought you meant the engine was all over the place with the old carb.

rustyscooter likes this.
  4. rustyscooter

Rides:
    Aerox, Harley, Blade
    Ok,. so the 21mm carb is just too big.

5. turbovetto

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
    It's highly likely. or Motoforce carbs are crap.

6. rustyscooter

Rides:
    Aerox, Harley, Blade
    this Motoforce carb was recommended to me by the supplier, to go with all of the other things I bought from him, as a matched set,

since this carb problem , I have felt uncomfortable with him, as he seams to be taking a distant response to it,

I'm not sure what to do now.

7. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    The supplier appears to be talking shite somewhat mis-informed about his tuning parts. The fact that he wants to disassociate himself from them tells me that he's no technical guru, he just wants to peddle 'Barry Bits'.

You are covered by the Distance Selling Regulations, so I would remind him about that and warn him that unless he gets off his arse and sorts it out sharpish, you may be tempted to inform Trading Standards about his lack of support with your problems.

8. rustyscooter

Rides:
    Aerox, Harley, Blade
    I told the supplier about the problems a few times, the last time I spoke with him he said that I could send it back and he would "work out the price difference and send me a Dellorto" :confused:

he went on to tell me that the one I bought from him was "an after market"

this makes it very difficult for me.

9. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    OK, so are we talking about a Nakaru carb here, from a certain auction site *cough*? The black body of the carb in the photo you posted earlier hints at it being a Nakaru and yes, it's aftermarket, but so what?.

I don't see why it's difficult, it doesn't work as far as you are concerned so you are entitled to return it for a replacement or a refund (less any restocking fee that they may have in place).

10. rustyscooter

Rides:
    Aerox, Harley, Blade
    no, from a shop on line,

not auction either,

there is nothing to say what make the carb is, but its advertised as "all Dellorto PHBG parts fit as standard",

its difficult because if I send it back, good will, will be lost, plus cost of postage both ways and a replacement carb will cost me twice as much, they say,

I'm not even sure now, that they will take my carb back, now that it has been taken apart and stripped down as you can see.

that's why I said....... "this makes it very difficult for me".

11. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    If it was bought from an online shop then the Distance Selling Regulations and Sale of Goods Acts apply and the seller can't duck them. It's your call, but I'd want to get something back on my outlay.

rustyscooter likes this.
  12. rustyscooter

Rides:
    Aerox, Harley, Blade
    yes, agreed,

but it might be more difficult than to say it.

13. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    It's a TNT carburettor, isn't it? I think I've worked out where you bought it from and if it was them, their customer service isn't great, to say the least (or should that be the most)?

Does this sound familiar?

*Whistles*

14. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Oh, and another thing. If it was supplied with a selection of jets (as a certain carburettor is from what I've read) then you would have to open the carb to change the jets over and that's a reasonable thing to do, so they can't say "Oh you've opened it" as you would have to, in order to jet it properly. Refusing to take it back as you've opened it under those circumstances is stupid.

turbovetto likes this.
  15. Dandruff37

Dandruff37 Active Member

Rides:
    Aprilia SR50 R
    Im very surprised nobody has spotted this yet. You have fitted a 21mm to a low level tuned aerox. The standard carb on an aerox is only 12 or 14mm, with your setup the largest you really want would be 17.5mm. This would explain why using the smallest jet hasnt helped, and would also explain why the normal carb works fine and it has a larger jet, bcos its a smaller carb...?

16. rustyscooter

Rides:
    Aerox, Harley, Blade
    I spoke to the supplier, he said there is nothing wrong with the carb, he asked me to send it back so that he can try it on another Aerox, he says the carb is not too big for the job, I am waiting for his findings when he tests it,

17. steveaerox50

steveaerox50 aprilia owner

Rides:
    1999 aprilia rs125
    what 70cc kit are you running , and a sito exhaust i have never heard of so i can imagine it being the best , a 21mm carb is for a high revving cylinder more han anything if you have a 70cc sports kit like a polini you ideally want a 17.5mm carb the standard on my old aerox was a 12mm dellorto and it gained good power was just a upjet and a arrow / gianelli exhaust then i put a 17.mm on it and had a play with jet sizes and so on and it flew all through the rev range , problem with you have a 21mm on a sports kit and a low end exhaust is its going to have no low end power its all going be further up the power band which will make throttle response crap id tell him keep the carb and get a 17.5 to be honest and there a peice of piss to dial in and set up

18. rustyscooter

Rides:
    Aerox, Harley, Blade
  19. steveaerox50

Rides:
    1999 aprilia rs125
    cant * sorry was in a rush lol

20. steveaerox50

Rides:
    1999 aprilia rs125
    that 70 kit is a decent kit you really want a better exhaust to support that kit , ie a yasuni r , as that standard exhaust is doing it no good and will be holding back the bikes true potential trust me , and the carb will be a 100 times better with a expansion chamber