Neos sprayjob

Discussion in 'Visual Modifications' started by mrpetrepp, Dec 4, 2016.

1. mrpetrepp

mrpetrepp Member

Hi all,

I am going to spray a few pieces of fairing on my Neos later this month and I have a few questions about what preparations I'd need to do to get the best finish possible out of a can.

There are some nasty, but not too deep (maybe a half a mm or so deep) scratches in the plastic, could I send these out or would I have to purchase a filler?

What can I do to avoid getting any bumps in the plastic when spraying?

Would it be fine to use car shampoo, a pressure washer and polish in order to clean the plastics or is there a better way to get rid of muck?

Extra question:

In other pieces of my plastics, there are a few cracks here and there -- could they be filled properly with a filler?

I want to get this bike looking good because it's a bit tacky at the moment plus I wanna learn a thing or two about resprays =)

thanks all,
    mrpetrepp

2. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    Cracks, fill them using the platsic welding techniquie from the rear then use a body filler to fill the front cracking. you could find that over a little time the bumps and rattles on scoot cause the filler to break up and the cracks appear , so a plastic weld on the rear will give is a bit of meat ( use zip ties as a filler plastic, youtube plastic welding repairs for tips and an idea on how to do it )

scratches , some can be sanded out but it may be more easy to whack over a bit of filler and just sand that back.

Washing , do not use car polish/wax you need to have a clean surface free from dirt grease n wax , use something like good old fairy liquid n some nice hot'ish water give em a good scrub down with a sponge and let dry, then wipe over with some isopropol alcohol that will give you a highly clean surface.

Bumps , only way is to spend a good amount of time on prepping the panels, use something like a sandable primer so you can get it nice and flat, then spray your colour and if need be sand it down when its dry with some fine 2000 grit wet and dry sandpaper ( wet the surface and paper) once your happy with the colour coat let it dry and get a very good tack on it.

final finish, use a good clearcoat ( best is a 2k clearcoat in a can but its kinda expensive) and if you find dust or orange peel be ready to let it dry off and sand it back a bit with some fine 2000-3000 grit wet and dry then shoot another layer of clearcoat on, remember clear coat usually goes on nice and light with 3-5 fine layers. same with the colour coat do not put these on thick just lightly dust them over , let it dry for about 15 mins then add a second layer , let it tack a third layer ( any dust dirt let that layer dry right off 8hr or so then wet n dry sand it to remove dust or peel looking areas) spraying it heavy will cause more chance of runs.
    for a very handy tip, put the cans in a warm water bath the warm water will help with atomization and thin the paint some what it will also help keep splattering to a minimum to ( same goes with the clear coat warm it up in a bowl of warm water )

supershine ? you want some good polish compound and a very strong arm or a cheap buffer and buff those panels to a super shiney glass like finish ;)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  3. mrpetrepp

mrpetrepp Member

Cheers, that pretty much tells me everything I need to know! One last question, how long do you think I should leave the fairings to dry before using them again on the road? I live in sunny Wales so the weather down here can get a little rough for a 50cc ped ;)

4. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    if you can bake them off in a heated paint booth a couple hours or so.

real world most will not have a heated paint booth to bake stuff off with, so air dry its going to take around 2-3 days over winter for the clearcoat to harden up and around a week or two for a full cure , you could mount them 48hrs after spraying but the colour coat and clear coat will still be soft.

if you can wait until the summer time you can bake them off in the sunshine would take around 4-5hrs on a very hot day and around a couple days to fully cure up in the summer.

the problem is you having to wait for the colour coat to to evap through the clear coat and the clear coat to harden up after thats happened. usualy a paint shop will have heaters or a heated booth to help this along.

LEAVE THE PAINT for atleast two weeks after its been sprayed before you even think of polishing it ;) by then it should have fully hardened and you will not be removing or smudging soft clearcoat.

5. mrpetrepp

mrpetrepp Member

Thank you once again for an informative response :) Unfortunately, I cannot wait until the summer to spray my bike as I am getting rid of it in a few months so I will have to make do with the small wait to have it resprayed.

6. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    your welcome fella.

in the most ideal way it would be a summer spray job, but if your pushed for time you can do a winter spray.

shove your stuff into the shed, warm said shed up a bit with a heater ( remove heater when you spray), pop the rattle cans into a bucket of warm water to get them upto a good working temp, shake them like mad and give the panels a spray. once done shut the sehd door and leave it closed until they are dryed off, couple days at most.

pop heater back in and warm shed up again, (remove heater before spraying), pop the clearcoat spray can in a warm water bucket to get it upto a good working temp then tack cloth the panels over ( remove any dust ) , then spray those panels give it three coats 15 mins - 20mins flash off between each coat, shut shed dooragain and leave it for a couple more days to cure out.

Fit them to scoot and away you go, but be careful the paint will still be a little soft ;)

7. mrpetrepp

mrpetrepp Member

I've just ordered two cans of Plastikote Matt Super and already have a couple of brand new (and recently purchased) cans of primer laying around :) I am going to spray the foot panel, battery cover etc. because they have the 'rippling' effect which seems to be common with old peds -- hoping to have it looking really tidy by new years! If all goes well, I will start moving onto other parts of the bike.

Will post a picture in this thread to show you what it's like :)

Thank you very much for all your help ;)

8. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    no worries buddy glad to offer advice