Need opinions on 2 used bikes please.

Discussion in 'Bike Chat' started by DynamiteDan, Nov 4, 2015.

1. DynamiteDan

DynamiteDan Member

Rides:
    2000 Vespa ET4 125cc
    Hey guys,

Well my Speedfight is out of action for the moment so I need to get something to get me to work an stuff.

So I've seen these 2 local ads for manual 125cc's but I've only had my scooter so I don't know what's good and what isn't regarding price, milage, condition and that sort of thing when it comes to bikes. I don't have a massive budget.

Here are the 2 ads below that I was looking at. Thanks.

2005 Suzuki Sport EN125-2A

1990 Yamaha TDR

2. scootzmadness

scootzmadness Left the forum.

Rides:
    None.
    Go for the suzuki.

The yamaha will be a bit of a handfull for a new rider and spares arent easy to come by nowadays. Parts are everywhere for the suzuki and they keep their value fairly well. Brilliant first manual bikes.

DynamiteDan likes this.
  3. DynamiteDan

DynamiteDan Member

Rides:
    2000 Vespa ET4 125cc

Yeah cheers mate, I'd rather have something with easy to get parts because my 1998 speedfight was a pain to get parts for and I'd rather not have the hassle of it. Only problem would be getting it home because it's 7 miles away and I've never ridden a manual.

I Can't seem to find out if it is a 4-stroke which is what I would rather get this time. Also I'm worried about something being wrong with it and me not noticing if I was to go see it.

4. scootzmadness

Rides:
    None.
    Take somebody who is a bit more experienced with you, if you arent able to, the basics are the same except you need to make sure the clutch works and the gears shift which can be hard with no manual experience...

The EN is a 4 stroke. VERY reliable engine, almost bulletproof. Same engine used in the DR125, GN125 and some other models. Remember -
    check oil level and ask if they have any service history/reciepts for the bike. Other than that just check it over as you would a scooter.

If you cant take someone with you, find a man with a van who can help collect it.

5. scootzmadness

Rides:
    None.
    May be worth going to your local training school for a clutch and gear conversion. They should teach you how to use the clutch, how to shift gears and how to come back down through the gears.

6. DynamiteDan

DynamiteDan Member

Rides:
    2000 Vespa ET4 125cc
    Ok cheers, That's great info. I don't know anyone who rides a bike, which is a bit annoying. I wish I had opted to learn on a manual when I did my cbt now.

Not sure what I will do now.

7. DynamiteDan

DynamiteDan Member

Rides:
    2000 Vespa ET4 125cc
    The guy has dropped it to £700 now. Would it be a bad idea if I asked them to bring it to me? Even if they have the V5?

8. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

sounds like its perfect, if they can bring it to you then that saves you the hassle of stalling a load of times if its the first time youve ridden a geared bike. looks quite tidy to be fair, and its got a decent exhaust so people will hear you

9. DynamiteDan

DynamiteDan Member

Rides:
    2000 Vespa ET4 125cc

Yeah cheers, I decided against this bike in the end. I just had bad vibes about it for some reason after finding more out about it.

I've since bought a Vespa ET4. It's being built mostly from scratch from a reputable guy. I got a choice of colour scheme which was nice. I won't get it until the end of next week though.

The guy said he will take my broken Speedfight as in part exchange but I'm worried he won't offer me much for it. It's got a few busted panels from a slide and it was making a noise so I removed the crankcase and the variator area was loose so I don't know what damage if any has been caused to that area. Also the screw holes for the crank case are worn out so I can't get the cover back on properly, I only took it off once...

Has anyone got any idea what sort of price I should be asking for even as scrap? I was thinking I could get £1-200 easy if I stripped it and sold the parts so I was kind of hoping for a hundred really but can't see him offering that to be honest.

10. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

about 200 would be what i would pay tops.

DynamiteDan likes this.
  11. DynamiteDan

DynamiteDan Member

Rides:
    2000 Vespa ET4 125cc
    Ok cheers, Hopefully he will give me a fair offer then. £100 would be good for me.