Need advice on fitting a 125 gilera engine in a speedfight 100 frame.

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Lance 'aka' Lazy, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Lance 'aka' Lazy

Lance 'aka' Lazy 'Built not baught'

Rides:
    Speedy 123
  2. TeZ258

TeZ258 Member

Rides:
    Speedfight 50cc
    Don't bother. Dangerous, expensive and a general waste of a good ped.

If you want a piaggio 125 then buy a runner, sr or typhoon.

3. Lance 'aka' Lazy

Rides:
    Speedy 123
    yes it would be dangerous with the single side front suspension but ill fit aerox forks and 13" wheels for better handling.

runners and sr's are bulky i like the look of my speedfight and its lightweight.

i already own a gilera runner 183 malossi beast but want to build something special..

i understand i need to mount the engine as close to the front as possible and move the suspension mount back so i dont have a crazy angle on the rear suspension..

4. TeZ258

TeZ258 Member

Rides:
    Speedfight 50cc
    It's just a generally bad idea. You talking putting a 12hp+ engine into frame that isnt the strongest.

Only do it if your building a drag racer. Any mechanic with any sense won't mot it and will tell you to scrap it

5. Lance 'aka' Lazy

Rides:
    Speedy 123
    lol i get your point, ill have to reinforce the frame,.
    like i said i want something special that no-ones got and this is the perfect project if others hesitate and say it cant be done it makes me want to do it more. ill keep this site updated on my progress.

scubabiker likes this.
  6. TeZ258

TeZ258 Member

Rides:
    Speedfight 50cc
    It can be done.

It's just not worth butchering a perfectly good bike for.

It'll be an extreme bodge which if not done right can be dangerous, not just to you, but other road users.

7. TeZ258

TeZ258 Member

Rides:
    Speedfight 50cc
    It can be done.

It's just not worth butchering a perfectly good bike for.

It'll be an extreme bodge which if not done right can be dangerous, not just to you, but other road users.

8. Lance 'aka' Lazy

Rides:
    Speedy 123
    iv got 2 speedy frames and i know a pro welder i also have access to cnc machines to build one off parts so its worth the risk, the speedy is still mint and road legal so im not gonna build it untill iv got all the parts and i wont bodge anything im all about precision, my family are all engineers and we could build anything! im confident i can build a strong safe speedfight 183

9. TeZ258

TeZ258 Member

Rides:
    Speedfight 50cc
    Good luck.

Just don't expect sympathy off the police or the family of the victim you end up killing.

10. Lance 'aka' Lazy

Rides:
    Speedy 123
    in what way would i expect simpathy?

your thinking too negative saying i'd be risking other peoples lives i dont ride like a maniac - i dont bodge my bikes infact it would never cross my mind to bodge a bike,. and all the moddifications will be registered on my insurance as they are now with the peugeot 120 engine..

im building a one off street scooter wich i will service more than i ride, not throwing together a deathtrap!

your obviously not confident with your own mechanical knowledge just stick to your little 50cc peugeot and ill build what i like without people like you saying it can't be done.. in my garage theres no such word as can't!

11. creamsodauk

creamsodauk Ped Ped!!

Rides:
    Runner 125 SP
    if you come from a family of engineers and have use of welders and a cnc machine..........why the hell are you on a forum asking us how to do it lolll

12. Lance 'aka' Lazy

Rides:
    Speedy 123
    well i heard this site was supposed to be good for people who build one off scooters.. im on here asking for advice if anyones done it before and what problems iv gotta look out for..?

i didnt expect people to get there nickers in a twist o_O

13. creamsodauk

creamsodauk Ped Ped!!

Rides:
    Runner 125 SP
    youl get many skeptics due to how many people bodge bikes with little knowledge and basic tools and such, like lasers to alighn mounts and such and make sure the bike sits true and centerd

however with all the kit you say you have a knowledge, you should mearly take pics and notes as you do it and post up a thread when your done for people to marvel at

Lance 'aka' Lazy likes this.
  14. TeZ258

TeZ258 Member

Rides:
    Speedfight 50cc
    If you pull it off kudos to you.

If you are who you say you are, then go for it.
    I've wanted to do it for soo long but never had the balls to do it. I am skeptical about it but if its all above board then I can't wait for the project thread.

Good luck with it.

Lance 'aka' Lazy likes this.
  15. Lance 'aka' Lazy

Rides:
    Speedy 123
    ill get me choclate spanners an big hammer out and get to work then lol - i get your point ill keep this site upto date with pictures and info on my progress and look forward to hearing your comments and advice.

i wont be starting this project untill iv paid my car off and baught all the bolt on tuning parts wich isn't cheap as you probably know.. iv already baught the doner bike its a piaggio hexagon 125lc.

16. TeZ258

TeZ258 Member

Rides:
    Speedfight 50cc
    Haha fair enough.

Would love to see this work. Get pictures of the engine mount when you do it though pleassseeee. Seen speedy 172s before but can never find decent pictures of the mount !

17. Lance 'aka' Lazy

Rides:
    Speedy 123
    yeah i will do i think the bottom mount is gonna be the most work theres afew pictures on the internet with the engine hanging out half a foot an the suspension wrongly mounted on a crazy angle.. thats deadly!

i cant say for sure how im gonna do it untill i start dry building, i know iv gotta get the wheels lined up move the suspension mount an chop the seat storage to fit the top end in, its all on paper i just need to measure everything and get it perfect

18. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

you should put the speedfight motor and front end in the hexagon frame and call it the pig!!!! hahahah that wold be sooooo funny! doesnt a piaggio motor sit horizontal and the pug motor kinda tilted back a bit or is that only the 50cc ones (not seen a 100cc speedfight). i think it could be ok with the single arm front end but would need to be toughened up a bit, the main thing is the squat during acceleration, which would cause some wierd forces in the back end. any way you could make the rear shock central like a jet force? will be interested to see your ideas coming together

19. Lance 'aka' Lazy

Rides:
    Speedy 123
    the pig haha the hexagon frame is massive i dont think my little pug engine will push it..
    yh piaggio's are horizontal an peugeots are vertical thats why iv gotta cut the seat pan out to fit it in an iv gotta change the front end its deadly after 65mph if i got a tank slapper it would be game over!
    i was thinking about twin shock witha sort of TSAB mount on the exhaust side but only if its not stable eneugh.

20. JamesC

JamesC Member

Rides:
    Speedfight 100
    Hey mate sounds wicked. Im thinking about somthing similar. Let me know how u do.