Mysterious hole ?

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Jannersbee, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Jannersbee

Jannersbee New Member

Hi I was wondering of anybody could tell me what this hole is on the gear box of a 100cc 2006 Peugeot speedfight 2.
    I'm rebuilding an engine and when i tilt the engine towards me so the hole points towards the floor oil comes out of it. I'm assuming this must be gear box oil, though i would have thought the gear box would be completely sealed ? P.S this isn't my engine this is just a google image. My engine still has the clutch, rear hub and brake disk in place. 24333234.jpg

2. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    if you flip that case over you will notice that hole does not sit in the gearbox itself it sits between the inner / outer wall of the gearbox and would be sealed by the gearbox gasket, have a couple ebay searches for speedfight 100cc gearbox / crankcasing , you should stumble onto a couple that show the rear gearbox gasket still in place and see what i mean.

im thinking its a warning to one, as a indicator the gearbox seal is gone but i could be wrong, all the image sreaches and parts searches i done do not show a crankcase rear grommet ( even peugeot dont show a grommet for that hole) and no mention or a rubber breather/grommet for the rear gearbox assembly

right hand side of this gasket sits where that hole is in the casing its a fatter part of the gasket and looks like it should seal that hole from the main internal oil holding area

https://www.3xmotorcycles-superstor...2100PCRNK/Crankcase/PE737840/Crankcase-Gasket

Jannersbee likes this.
  3. Jannersbee

Jannersbee New Member

Thank you for doing all that leg work for me, its much appreciated. I can see what your talking about. I have a new gasket for the gear box so i guess i'll just have to crack it open and see if it is the gasket that's gone. Shame was hoping not to have to do that, looks like i need a tool to get the clutch off. Will be interesting to see inside though, thanks again for the help.

4. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    you can get away with using a strap wrench ( B&Q sell them ) just make sure you get one wide enough to slip round the clutch bell, then its just a case of cracking of the nut ( if you can borrow a impact gun its a lot more easy ) , one the bell comes off, slip the clutch itself off and you then have the rear free. to work on, ( i would advise removing rear wheel to , and refitting it once you have sorted that gasket out )

you may want to find the manual for the scooter to gearboxes have a maximum amount of oil needed in the rear box, to much can seep past the seals etc etc , to little can cause much bigger problems with bust gearing teeth or excessive wear n tear.

btw welcome to the scootershack

5. Jannersbee

Jannersbee New Member

Thanks for the help made up a tool to get the clutch off and swapped the gasket over. oil no longer leaks out of the hole. You where correct, the hole is sat between the two walls of the gear box and oil must have been making its way through the old gasket. 15388687_1382665265076991_430287698_o.jpg 15397807_1382664505077067_1971707242_o.jpg tool.jpg

6. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    no worries fella , glad a new gasket seal done the job. love the clutch bell tool great idea,
    with a new seal in place i would drain out that old looking oil and add some nice new fresh stuff then the gearbox is ok for another 3000+ km