My Moped isnt starting. Is the Vacuum too weak??

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Bumblebee, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Bumblebee

Bumblebee New Member

Hey, I have a Hyosung Sense (2004) I recently had a crash on it and I tried to start it yesterday. it wouldn't start and eventually the battery died. the only reason I can come up with to explain this is this: I took the vacuum line off of the fuel tap and placed my thumb slightly over it, I felt a tiny vacuum pull but it was so little that I doubt it would be able to turn the tap. any ideas on how I can create the vacuum stronger?

2. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    take the vacuum pipe of the motor and the fuel petcock , block one end of pipe with finger and blow down with other, if you find its split or leaks thats your problem.

if the tank is under the seat, you could fit a manual fuel tap and let gravity do its work filling the carb float bowl, but that means mounting the fuel tap in a good place so you can turn it off every time you leave bike ( not a good idea to leave the fuel tap on as fuel still flows to the carb and if the float gets stuck it could overflow and you end up with a puddle of gas and a empty tank.

scubabiker likes this.
  3. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

what he said. vacuum taps only need a tiny bit to work though. hows your engine oil level? and do you have fuel in it? sometimes the gauge can be wrong!

4. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    was this a little crash, like you fell off - the bike fell over ? or was it a more sustained impact ie bike is in a not so good state.

if its the second one a more sustained impact you could find its damaged more than just cosmetics. first off would be check for a spark.
    remove the saprkplug push it back into the HT lead cap then rest it onto the side of the cylinder, give the bike a kickstart/or blat the starter button and check your getting a strong spark arc at the tip of the plug ( the cylinder is just acting as the ground). if you have a spark you can move onto the carb-vacuum -filtering lines.

no spark means you have an electrical fault some where , the coil is not getting charged and releasing that charge to the sparkplug.

fuel filters can become blocked, so a good place to start is fuel filter, pop it off and have a look to see if its all gunked up, if it is you will wnat to replace it with a new one.
    vacuum line you want to check the pipe is in good order free from cracks and/or splits, the good old blown n block is good to see if its leaking or has failed some where.

carb, checking the carb is filling up. undo the drain screw on the bottom of the carb and allow the fuel stored in the bowl to flow out, NO FUEL from the bowl means its ran dry and could be sticky floats or float shut off valve. if fuel flows out you dont have a problem there.

next is hooking up the vacuum line to the fuel pump, remove the fuel pipe going into the carb and place it into a container, kickstart bike/ or run the starter motor to check the fuel pump is pumping fuel. if this is not pumping fuel it could be clogged up, or the diaphram has a small split in it causing a failure.

5. Bumblebee

Bumblebee New Member

it went into a wall and flipped...

ill take a look at all those factors when i next can. thank you for your detailed response :)

6. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

if it was running upside down/ on its side you could have really damaged the motor, ive seen it before a few times (im a motorcycle mechanic) the oil should be at the bottom of the engine, if the bike is on its side, then the oil is in the wrong place and the engine doesnt get the oil and it seizes/breaks crucial parts....