my homemade pipe :)

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by spectroplasm, Jan 9, 2008.

1. spectroplasm

spectroplasm Member

Rides:
    pug309 GTI / PGO bmx
    hey mates :) thought i'd post a pic of my newly made pipe
    a direct replica (thought a tad smaller) of a Malossi pipe i saw in a moto expo here in my country.
    I never leave home without a pencil,scrap paper and a meter ribbon, cause you never know the kits you'll meet along the way ;)

it's been tuned to my specific barrel. it's a months work of labor but she's a fine one indeedy.

Tools used to make the pipe
    -Bells book for 2stroke engines (a MUST have for all serious 2 stroke lovers, a little outdated but it's all there from A to Z).
    -Large pieces of felt paper (or papier velin we call it here)
    -some big permanent markers
    -calculator (best if it's got a graph)
    -Cutter or other razor cutting devices
    -a of couple inox sheet metal, or fine metal sheets (inox is harder to weld btw)
    -press machine (for making the folds and admission molding
    -Common sense (some have it some don't some have too much of it :p)
    -Silencer (this i can not make myself since it's made of aluminum), any will do pick your preferences but you'll need to cut it's length to match your pipe so be sure you find a tack machine to snap the end piece on)
    -welder (i took mine to a local shop and rented their machine for a day or two)
    -automated metal cutter (automated are good since you don't have to maneuver the blade)
    -high temperature clear coat polish (you need it to keep the pipe from oxidizing or tainting)

below are the pix of it just finished from the shop :)
    i'll post some pix of my bike with it on later on :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

well that's all for now guys i'll post measurements of the pipe later on too if any of you are interrested in making one too. all in all it costed me around 100euros of raw material but the performance gain and joy of accomplishing it is priceless ;)

2. Nrg-Sam

Nrg-Sam Active Member

that is fucking ace, fair play. looks so professional :drool:

fancy making me one? :pimp:

3. spectroplasm

spectroplasm Member

Rides:
    pug309 GTI / PGO bmx
    :) i could if i had the money to ship it to you, i live in Madagascar and man the postage stuff here is the shites, worst than when in the uk (i got a friend there who complain of the workers going on strikes). it's not that hard really to make the pipes i'll post the ready to cut pieces of the parts here don't worry. the only prob is you need to tune it to your engines specs, mine is tuned to kick in @ 8000rpm and keep climbing till i hit 11500rpm *that's my max nominal powerband). tuned my weights to 3.5grams, put on red Malossi central spring and blue Hebo pull springs, set my hebo clutch set tension to 1/2. my personal max speed now is 106kmh on my tnt digital speedo on a flat runway (but then my piston ring had that snap thingy :( ). i can't wait till my PGO is broken in so i can further test my setup.

for anyone who wishes to start making their own pipe i can help by giving you this great website (especially it's easier to use than a calculator since it has predefined things already put it) plus it shows how to calculate engine timing and silencer measurement. :)
    enjoy all ****YOU need java 1.4 applet installed to be able to use it tho :)
    http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/javapipe_main_en.htm

4. shiny red

shiny red New Member

nice exhaust :drool:

5. wobbly_trials

wobbly_trials Active Member

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    that's a very useful peice of software, i have another on my other computer, i'll upload it later and post a link up.

6. spectroplasm

spectroplasm Member

Rides:
    pug309 GTI / PGO bmx
    ok here's some pix of the pipe on my PGO :) , sorry 'bout the crap quality pics i used my phone to take the pix and the sun was too bright too :(

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the bike as you can see has cracks here and there, i'll have to fiber the cracks and repaint the panels, this will be my ongoing project so i'll keep it all posted here as they get finished. enjoy

7. Jamie

Jamie Active Member

Rides:
    xt660x, 200sx s14a
    wish we had sun like that over here :'(

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

hey mate want to make my own exhaust can you give me more info do you have msn if so pm me it cheers :D

9. fuj_yammy54

fuj_yammy54 New Member

that exhaust is a masterpiece.. engineering excellence at its best.

10. waxhead

waxhead Member

That looks more like an exhaust that was modified then scratch built

What pipe is that front section from

11. spectroplasm

spectroplasm Member

Rides:
    pug309 GTI / PGO bmx
    Hey waxhead :) , the pipe was completely build from scratch no parts were taken off any other pipe. The head/neck piece for the admission was made this way since it's easier to make the curves with a metalic press then to go and make multiple cone rings then soldering them together. the small cones are really hard to hold if you don't have a metalic arm to hold it for you. My next pipe project will be using cones since it give a smoother bezier and reduces the chance of blowing.

just ordered some parts off of Scooter Center and i'm just waiting for them to process my order :p will be rebuilding the Pgo again :) i'll post pics of my parts when they arrive :)

12. waxhead

waxhead Member

Ok well then you have done a great job
    it just looked mass produced from end
    I am building one fr my scooter at the moment
    i Know it looks rough but hey its just the trial one to get the cones right
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Nitro-Rhys

Nitro-Rhys Active Member

looking good, nice to see people taking things 1 step further and making their own tuning parts! :drool:, keep us updated on it, nice work ;)

14. spectroplasm

spectroplasm Member

Rides:
    pug309 GTI / PGO bmx
    :punk: that's perfect worksmanship mate :) all pipes look like that when you weld it it's all black and lumpy, you made extra rings too :) which is good since your performance will be better than a straight press :) after you have finished it all just use a soft sander and sand the extra boogers off the welds then polish it thoroughly and apply a generous dose of belgum to clean the metal deeply then if you wish lack her up with VHT lacquer and you'll have one hellova beauty :drool:

15. waxhead

waxhead Member

Thanks
    It looks better when you see it in real life
    Its just a roughy at the moment
    Just 10 mins ago i brought an aerox so guess its going to go on that scooter now and not the vento zip i also have