my first car

Discussion in 'Car chat' started by scubabiker, Jul 27, 2012.

1. GazD

GazD Active Member

carbon bonnet would be nice and get rid of a chunk of weight but would cost a bomb,,,,,another way is to remove all the strengthening metal work and replace with strips a fibreglass,,,,then a few bonnet pins raised at the back end for extra cooling

2. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

You need to google what a z28 is made of...

3. GazD

GazD Active Member

had a quick search fella but cant nail it,,,,,,,the pictures i see of the older ones stripped back to bare metal

is yours some kind of race bred shell??

4. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

The z28 is what they call an f body, that is, the body is fibreglass composite and some other polymers, the motor is alloy

5. GazD

GazD Active Member

yep,done abit more reading mate,,must go like a rocket will be good to see what you come up with

scubabiker likes this.
  6. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

SUNP0031.JPG SUNP0030.JPG SUNP0029.JPG SUNP0028.JPG SUNP0053.JPG
    couldnt remember what pics i had uploaded so just uploaded them all! SUNP0053.JPG SUNP0063.JPG
    its now the other way round as i moved it to wash it, then went to get it up on the tiles again, heres where the fun started.
    carefully i pushed the tiles in front of the wheels, then i go in, shifted into drive let it roll against them and preceeded to press the throttle until it started to roll up onto the tiles, all was going great, then the back wheels gripped, bit the tiles hard and shot them out the back. balls.
    tried again. same problem. too much power. arse.
    tried again.
    and again
    and again.
    then i gave up
    so now the front wheel are up and the front is sitting on axle stands
    the back however
    is not
    its all fibreglass around the back and i cant get my jack under to lift it up.
    stupid american piece of crap.
    at least its clean (sort of)

ramon777 likes this.
  7. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

oh tyres need changing, they are ten years old, might go drifting with them before i change them tho =) also they have loads of tread, but there is no way i can race with old tyres (see also: paul walkers death)
    yeah tyres are dated by the way (its like a stamp on the side, 8 numbers , consisting of the week number and the year eg. 1204) now im rambling
    damn painkillers mush my brain

8. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

got the wheels back on and put some 98 in there. its back on the floor and its been washed, going for a meeting thing next weekend.

9. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

SUNP0187.JPG
    took a trip out in the car today SUNP0177.JPG

10. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

little update, decided to try and get the car road legal using a new rule that was released this year called amatørbygg which allows people to build custom cars and bikes. will be fun to have it on the road for the nice summer days we get. also there are a lot of tunnels here and illegal street racing in tunnels has got to be a blast right?

11. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Tuned cars in tunnels; Jeremy Clarkson would be having an orgasm:p

12. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

the speed cameras kinda suck. my work mate blew his transmission to bit in his old truck blasting it up the tunnel (steepest tunnel in europe i beleive)

13. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

its good going through on the VF, especially with the homemade pipes. the speedcamera is forward facing.

14. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

little update on the camero.... looks like i need to take the optispark off and have a look inside, im expecting it to be full of water. taking the optispark off is probably a 6 hour job at a rough guess, 10 hours for me due to my illness and not being able to get a jack under the car! (although i am hypermobile/double jointed which will help greatly) i wonder if GM and piaggio are the same company?

15. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

oh man, had a look at where the optispark unit is..... its right behind the water pump..... it really does look like i gotta take the waterpump off to get to the optispark, which means the rad probably needs to come out.
    and i complained about piaggios!
    bugger!

16. twodogs

twodogs Active Member

Rides:
    scooters
    what are you hoping to do with this car drag race or race it ,chap in the next garage to mine has a Camaro 7ltr engine hes been tinkering with it for the past three years but never seen it out of the garage, heard it rnnning sounds nice woul,nt like to pay for the petrol it uses tho,
    cant see the fascination with them there gas guzzlers not good on corners drop dead looks ,there must be faster cars out there that out preform them some of them Nissan and evo stuff take some beating,what ever floats your boat I surpose,,to me it s like off roading a bloody money pit
    anyway all the best of luck with it now a proper car auto jag 25 to the gallon sometimes ajag.jpg

17. scootzmadness

scootzmadness Left the forum.

Rides:
    None.
    But its a jag..... no offence but theyre just terrible to drive. You cant really throw them into corners either. I drove one just like that and it handled horrendously and yes I had it on the lift etc to check everything... it was like waiting for Christmas waiting for the steering to respond.

but i can beat that.

Vauxhall insignia 2.0 turbo diesel automatic. full VXR bodykit and interior. VXR alloy wheels. Remapped. Lowered 20mm all round with some fancy shocks and springs, steering + suspension properly set up by a expert on track racing etc. I can drive it every day comfortably and I can take it down into the twisty country lanes and throw it about.

But the Camaro actually does handle fairly well for what it is because of the way they designed the body, it sticks to the road a lot better than the jag does.

But then a car is a car at the end of the day... Everyone likes their own style...

Scuba may like his American muscle and big military 4X4 weird machines..
    You may like a comfortable jag
    I like a nice comfortable car that sticks to the road like shit in trousers and can outperform most other cars in the city centre....
    each to their own isn't it.

18. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

my camaro does actually corner, its factory lowered, fitted with some tasty suspension componants from its previous life in japan..... its a very low car and the engine sits very far back, almost mid engined.....
    started it up today after much fettling, managed to bodge up one of the optispark pipes, but its not quite the right size, im gonna take the front bumper off maybe next week and see if i can get to the optispark that way.
    mine isnt a big block, only 5,7L or there abouts, small block all alloy. im not too sure any jap car will beat mine off the line, its a very powerful motor and the body is fibreglass, around 700hp to the ton....
    i plan on drag racing it, but maybe i will get it in a differnt kind of racing, as the nearest drag strip to me is in oslo 9 hours away....

19. twodogs

twodogs Active Member

Rides:
    scooters
    takes the fun out of drag racing then 18 hours to get to the meet and back, is there any way to put it on the road as a posing motor over here they have car meets where cars like yours go to show off, most have speakers that cost as much as the car
    over here its insurance and road tax that kills any motor like yours
    can you post a video of your car running would love to hear it ajag 9.jpg

20. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

mine was in the UK, still has the plates, M252 YCE..... i cant really have it on the road here for 2 reasons, 1) its REALLY expensive to tax it, i mean REALLY expensive.... and 2) because its modified its not approved for the roads.... but i wouldnt pay the tax anyway, its just rediculous, i mean why pay more than the car is worth in just tax.....
    i will get my car test done this summer in the UK and just drive it on the uk plates.... the speed limit is a bit slow here though, 80kmh is the highest speed limit around here...