minarelli horizontal 50cc contra clutch variator help?

Discussion in 'General Tuning' started by mikestan, Jul 9, 2020.

1. mikestan

mikestan Member

I got the area 51 tuned and apparently running good according to the guy who tuned my carb however this thing is holding up traffic slow acceleration i aint sure how fast it goes not tested it this far it hits the speed limit for now lol.
    Its all stock all but unrestricted cdi i put in 1000 rpm contra and clutch springs and 5.5g rollers.
    What would you guys recommend i do to improve acceleration it is embarrassingly slow pulling off and as far as going up a hill is concerned i ain't had the balls to try that yet incase the thing cant push up one haha

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

17.5mm carb, un restricted pipe (Technigas Silent pro), re-jet to suit the pipe

mikestan likes this.
  3. markymark2

markymark2 Member

I had to use 3.5g rollers on a fully derestricted minarelli horizontal , is your pipe derestricted, carb up jetted ? any restricting washers out of variator ? to fully derestrict a minarelli cylinder on a 30mph scoot you need to grind out the brazed in restriction of the exhaust port , I have tuned 5 of these engines, all lc horizontal and they all had this restriction. it will run fine with stock carb just up jetted. some even have restricted intake ports/manifolds

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  4. mikestan

mikestan Member

shit pipe 1.jpg shit pipe 2.jpg shit pipe 2.jpg @markymark2 its got 5.5g rollers its got a 90 main jet i think maybe 95 seemed a bit high but its running better than it did its still got the blue steel washer in the variator as far as the exhaust i got a leo vince didn't fit so i got this one el cheapo (see pic) the first one fits just so then i come across this one thought yeah for a cheap one again was told by the guy on ebay this will definitely fit 1 and a half inch from the head ...waste of another £90 on ebay so in stuck with the one in first pic they are apparently both derestricted pipes

5. markymark2

markymark2 Member

good for you , they are a surprisingly good pipe , not mega cool looking or loud ,a good thing , just make sure that there is no washer spot welded in the manifold of the pipe , just look into it and if hole is smaller than inner diameter of pipe then it`s got the restrictor washer in it , 2 minutes with a Dremel and job done. Most pipes are restricted this way so they pass the "E" mark rules , never assume a pipe is sold fully derestricted no matter what the seller says as most are full of shit and just want your money, mgood luck.