massive problem head banging now

Discussion in 'General Tuning' started by royaluk000, Feb 26, 2017.

1. royaluk000

royaluk000 New Member

ive recently brought a speedfight 50cc scooter they guy said it doesnt pull off well and the wreights in the varalator were 9g so today i investigated this and they are 6g

my question and head bagging problem is the clutch doesnt seem to engage onto the drum and ive used 2 clutchs but the varlator belt and bottom bit of the clutch all spin but it doesnt flare out to the point were its engage the clutch to flare out to engage the drum any ideas appericated

so far ive tryed 2 clutchs and new belt

would the main clutch spring the big one be the problem or sould i increase the weights alittle

thanks in advance ready to put a match to it ;0

2. royaluk000

royaluk000 New Member

its not the gearing as if i turn the drum with my hand the back wheel moves

3. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    the clutches seem solid, but it DOES "flare out" as you put it, theres STRONG springs in them, dont worry, this isnt your issue. how is the bike revving? (as in, rpm, does it rev like a bike should, or seem to not rev much at all?)

4. royaluk000

royaluk000 New Member

its starting with out fail im reving it as much as it will go its not screaming but its reving 4000 rpm max sould be anuff normal i would think to pull away

5. royaluk000

royaluk000 New Member

appently its been upjetted i have another speedfight here that im breaking ive pulled the carb off and got jet out was thinking jet

its like the belt not pushing down anuff on the discs to engage the clutch and was reading that standard weights are 9g

6. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    possible its the clutch bell housing ?

if its worn theres a chance the clutch is extending out but due to wear its not gripping the clutch bell so the rear wheel fails to spin up. Or the wrong size clutch bell has been fitted.

if you have a spare speedy, take the clutch bell off that and install it onto the speedy thats causing problems. see if that helps ;)

if its deresticted the upjet is how it should be ( you have to upjet when derestricting) and the 6g roller weights are about right for the speedy . stock they are either 8g or 9g , derestrcted they come down in weight to around 5.5g to 6g

7. royaluk000

royaluk000 New Member

just come in from the man cave i pulled the carb off had a 64 jet on it just pulled one off a 50 cc in the garden and that had a 56 in it just put the 56 jet in it and it revs alot more

the bell is the one that was on it when got it and put 2 clutchs on it to try with plently of meat on them ill probley nip down the road to breakers in the morning and get some 8 g weights see if that helps if not pull the gearing off and replace it joys of gettin 2nd hand bikes i surpose :)

8. royaluk000

royaluk000 New Member

weights in it at moment put them on the scales are all 6.1 to 6.3g each but down sizing the jet to standard pulled the revs up alot its now screaming when u throttle it with the upjet 64 jet in was sounding more like a tooth brush when u opened it up

9. royaluk000

royaluk000 New Member

think all they done is upjet to 64 weights and sports exhaust thats blowing its head off

10. royaluk000

royaluk000 New Member

and its a starded barrel and piston no bor kit gonna get some 8s and see if that helps now got the revs higher

11. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

I can give you advice but you will have to write in better english for me to understand the problem fully.
    From what i understand:
    The bike is sluggish to pull off, or, it wont move at all?

12. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

I dont mean to be a grammar nazi, but i literally dont understand!

13. royaluk000

royaluk000 New Member

yeah my english isnt the best

it wouldnt rev out put smaller jet in now revs high now but it wont pull off the clutch wont engage the drum but everything else in there is spinning

its like the back end isnt flaring out anuff to engage the clutch to the drum

14. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Worn clutch bell i guess? Or oil on the clutch shoes?

15. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

When you rev up are you watching the clutch bell to see its not engaging or just listening? Rev the engine and check the variator is closing in and the belt riding up. If that's all good then watch the clutch and see that the belt is pulling in and causing the plates to split apart. See the belts not slipping. If that's good and the inner clutch is seen to spin but the bell is not spinning then the shoes are not engaging. Either the inner is slipping so it's not generating enough force to fling the shoes, the springs are not allowing the shoes to open or its all opening and not engaging with the bell. As said on previous post it might then be worn or slipping .
    Please check that the shoes are fixed on the right way round and not backwards or they'll never open as they'll spin backwards. I'm sure they only fit one way but things happen when novice people rebuild their bikes.

scubabiker likes this.
  16. royaluk000

royaluk000 New Member

no got case off holding the start motor in with a socket to not damage it

everything i ok apart from the plates are not splitting apart looking at it today think it might be the spring on the shoes ill be changing them tomorrow me think :)

17. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

If the clutch plates on either side of the belt are not splitting and allowing the belt to pull in tight to the spindle then check if you can pull them apart by hand? This may be a case where the contraspring is too strong or there is a reason the moving plate is stuck such as rust or dodgy spindle cotterpin inside the main unit. When you rev high you should see the belt squeezed by the variator causing it to ride up and this draws in the belt at the clutch separating its plates. If thats not happening then its faulty not the shoe springs.