Malaguti progress

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by Sam phantom, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Sam phantom

Sam phantom Active Member

Sooo thought I'd start a thread of my own for the progress of my scoot

2. Sam phantom

IMG_1027.PNG So let's start with a before

3. Sam phantom

IMG_1028.PNG And after so far!also you can see new fuel lines and filter

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    Spaz12 likes this.
  4. Sam phantom

IMG_1029.JPG Also... I'm running premix now as I didn't want to risk the 18 year old autolube destroying my engine so a got this to measure the 2stroke accurately

5. Sam phantom

Starting to look half tidy again now,nice day for a ride too! IMG_1030.JPG

Spaz12 likes this.
  6. Sam phantom

IMG_1031.JPG Changed the clear indercators to nice legit orange ones

7. 328isport

328isport Member

Great work on this, looking really good! How do you rate the rear shock? Looking at one of these for mine but not sure if its worth the extra over the YSS Pro-X? It certainly looks nicer! Have you fitted Renthal grips?

8. Sam phantom

Thank you pal.Yea Renthal grips fitted,the shock was worth every penny! It's fairly soft tho even on max stiffness not that it poses a problem. plus I do way 14stone lol

9. 328isport

328isport Member

Cool, thinking of going for the renthal kevlars on mine as can get them in the larger 32mm size, though I like the grey ones better colour wise! Always reminds me of race bikes. Anyway they should take care of the little vibration I get through the original near solid grips!!

Shock sounds good though odd it doesn't go that firm, guessing it's still harder than the original though?

I'm planning on going the opposite route to you regarding premix.. currently I'm running autolube and premix - annoying, I want the simplicity filling up at petrol stations without messing around with oil at the pump. so the plan is to buy a new genuine pump with all new pipework and have the pump turned up a bit to make sure everything is safe. I figure my original pump has done a good job for 15k and 18 years so can't see why a new set up won't do the same again.

Whats next on this project?

10. Sam phantom

Yeah the grips are comfy tbh.

the yss is much stronger than the original and yes it's stiffer I'm really pleased with it and as for the looks it gives the bike. you should def get one

as for the auto lube if you get brand new you'll have no worries earthier way if you get new of premix it'll be fine. It's not so bad for me with oiling at pumps as I only fill up once every 2or3 weeks as I just use the bike as a pleasure thing so full tank lasts weeks lol. As for what's next iv got a few tasteful mods up my sleeve I'll be sure to post the pics. by the way your bikes very clean around the same year as mine I believe?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  11. Spaz12

Spaz12 Member

Rides:
    '05 and '08 Zuma's,
    You guys get all the cool looking scoots over there. We're stuck with all the crap they can't sell anywhere else :(

Sam phantom likes this.
  12. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Looks like your brake cable is stretched, or shoes are worn, or the back lever thingy is put on wrong?
    Tidy looking scoot.

13. Sam phantom

I like the Yamahas you have tho for sure. Def one of the better scoots I have seen on here

Spaz12 likes this.
  14. Sam phantom

Not sure I dont think so tho fella it seems to work great and it's just past an mot 3weeks ago (no advisories)

scubabiker likes this.
  15. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Its bolted on wrong then.
    If you find its a bit shitty in the future, its a nice quick fix :)

16. Sam phantom

What makes you think it's bolted on wrong.there's only one way it gos isn't there ?

How would you have it bolted? if you could elaborate?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  17. Sam phantom

On other news had to do a 40mile round trip today on the malaguti premix seems to be running great,

I pulled the plug when I got home and was looking ok, did have a num bum tho lol

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  18. Sam phantom

Nope, had it looked at today. Assembled correctly

19. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

What he means is there is far too much thread showing on the adjuster.
    Either the cable is the wrong one for the model or the lever is on the wrong splines.
    I don't know the model but usually you can unbolt the lever and move it back one or two splines so that the adjusting nut is nearer the end of the threads.
    As it stands it looks like you have little or no adjustment left as the shoes wear.
    It should look something like this with new shoes.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    Sam phantom likes this.
  20. Sam phantom

Thank you for elaborating. you can indeed move it back on the splines i have just done it....not sure it's made much difference other than now having less thread showing lol,

brake feels as strong as before:)

Oh and the make is malaguti it's Italian if you are curious

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017