Malaguti Phantom F12 70cc tuning

Discussion in 'General Tuning' started by banner001, Oct 21, 2013.

1. banner001

banner001 Member

this is the buildup around the oil pump gears:
    [​IMG]

2. banner001

banner001 Member

and this was the debris in the cases, the bearing was shattered but still in situ, it fell on the floor when i removed the crank
    [​IMG]

3. Nathanael

Nathanael Active Member

thats original minarelli grease that is!

4. banner001

banner001 Member

It was hard and proper manky. I'll be dropping the oil pump anyway on the new build.

5. Nathanael

Nathanael Active Member

If you mix it 50/50 with ear wax it makes an excellent candle

turbovetto likes this.
  6. turbovetto

turbovetto Well-Known Member

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
  7. banner001

banner001 Member

update, the center stand has been failing for a while now, i had to hacksaw it to remove it, im waiting on a mate to press out the central pin (had no luck with a blowtorch so 20ton press it is...) then ill send the cases to be sand blasted so they are ready for painting and reassembly.

ill do a bit of gas-flow work to the cases but they are not all that far off as they currently stand. im going to make/buy some reed spacers as several people have suggested i do that. need to save for the exhaust next.

8. turbovetto

turbovetto Well-Known Member

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
    I'd definitely put a 10 mm spacer under the reed box. If you have the engine apart and look at where the 'beak' of the reed box is relative to the rear transfer (the one that washes out the exhaust gasses) it's not difficult to see why raising the reed box gets you more power. I did a thing on this but I'm damned if I know where it's buried here.....

9. banner001

banner001 Member

my mate runs a waterjet company, so ill get him to cut me a 10mm aluminium spacer no probs, a bit of gasket paper and ill be sorted :D

10. banner001

banner001 Member

Hello all, I am still alive, in January I was buying our new current house so it's all been a bit manic...a small update is therefore in order.

I've been porting the engine cases/gaskets and barrel so they all match, nothing more than that as I don't wanna mess owt up. The bike is no longer my commuter so that's good. The plastics were in a terrible state, over half of the lugs were broken, it's been dropped a few times by previous owners, and was generally looking tired...so tonight or tomorrow it's due to come back from the welders...we have decided to stretch and slam it, the engine is a good 12" further back than it should be, and the shock mount has been repositioned to suit. We are gonna make it "fuel in frame" by having a big cross member from the headstock to the seat as a brace and ~7L fuel tank, foot pegs out the front so it's a bit like a chop with wide bars...?

I've got a .50cal ammo box I'm gonna use to house the battery and electrical boxes, I'll mount the numberplate and rear light on a side mount style, so above the gearbox...it's gonna be different :D

11. banner001

banner001 Member

Here are the pictures...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That was as much as i could drop it on the current frame and still keep the shock useable...didnt want a hard tail, not in this country :D

next ill sort out the handlebar mounts, get a seat, sort out my mounts for the ammo box, get my numberplate/rear light bracket made and fixed, then we can weld those bits up along with the "fuel tank" cross member...then it needs a new carb and i still need to but the exhaust.

looking at a stage6 pwm 21mm carb and a deresticted yasuni c16 exhaust...should sort me out fine :D

12. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    Looking a right monster banners you look mighty comfy sitting like that good bit of leg room to , be good to see the finished product

13. banner001

banner001 Member

cheers, and im a good 5' 10", so plenty of room :D

gonna tack weld on the footpegs and sidestand soon, gonna buy a little tint bobber/chopper seat and see how that feels, have decided to keep the handlebars for the moment, so i need to grind off them 2 stays and make some custom brackets for the electrics.

the bearings have just arrived, so i need to smooth out my engine porting work and get the cases vapor blasted, then i can start assembling it back again...if i can remember, i was pretty drunk when i took it apart in january 2015 :D

14. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    could you not salvage the old seat and do a chopshop to it have a little extra padding for the rear end to park on lol, also be nice and comfy if you were to do some long haul road trips ;)

lol so we are looking at a jan 2017 beer goggle rebuild then hahahaha minus a beer can exhaust pipe mod hahahaha

15. banner001

banner001 Member

Crankcase porting/flowing/smoothing has begun

First stage is to fill up the unneeded areas with JB weld, and to do a rough grind back of the major casting marks and internal protrusions (see pictures), i only had a bit of jb weld left, that has now been used up so ill order more and get cracking on the recessed areas at the sides of the intake, that will be it for filling, i might leave it like this, or i might grind a fair bit more material away from the area where the lubrication port is so its smoother from the intake to the transfer ports...ive taken off the edge of the 90-degree angle that was there before, but i think it needs blending into the intake more...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The engine has also been to the blasters so its back to bare metal now, and ive cut off the side stand bolt - it snapped the aluminium when i was pressing out the pin...this now needs cleaning up the casings so it looks better.

More work will be done next weekend, i hope to have the grinding finished off by then, the sanding back shouldnt take too long, then im good to paint it and start assembly...the surface is slightly rough to the touch, so ill coat it with etch primer and then some kind of VHT stove enamel paint, black of course :D

oh and ive got a snapped screw to remove, broken by a previous owner, its one of those that holds the variator cover on, not essential to change it, but i would like to.

16. banner001

banner001 Member

i ground a bit more material away and gave it a light filing to start smoothing it out...not gonna do anymore to it for now, i can always repeat it at some other point, and dont wanna make the walls too thin, or go too far with it...pics to follow.

basically ise taken off somo more material so there is a smoother flow from intake to transfer ports and ive taken away some of the edges around the bearing lubrication holes...i think this will be it for me, now ive gotta sort out a CAD file for my mate to cut a 10mm reed spacer block for me out of aluminium on his waterjet :D

17. banner001

banner001 Member

am now finished with my course grinding...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. banner001

banner001 Member

ive been working on my 400 so no progress has been made, however ive been able to order all of my missing bearings/mounting bushes etc from hungary, so they will be here in a few weeks, i need to finish sanding and cleaning the engine internally, then start masking it for spraying with etch primer followed by some enamel paint and a cure in the oven...that will be the engine prepped and i can start on the assembly :D

19. banner001

banner001 Member

progress has been slow, but im almost at the rebuild stage.

all bearings/gaskets that were ordered are here, this should be enough for me to reasemble the inner workings of the motor, as well as the gearbox.

ive purchased, and used a slide hammer to get out the 2 ball bearings in the gearbox...these are being replaced for new, all i need to do now is to shave down the engine gaskets to match the new engine/crankcase ports and i can start the rebuild...only 2 years since i dissassembled it :D

then its painting time, followed by new carb (still to buy), new variator (to buy) and new clutch (to buy), as well as an exhaust (to buy) then its ready to fire up!

im looking at seats, think ive found what im gonna go for, will be a tiny bobber seat to give me the greatest possible length of "brace" between my headstock and my frame, this is also my fuel tank, so the bigger/longer the better...cant be arsed with under 5L :D

i need to buy the smallest lithium battery both in capacity and size that i can, its only doing the ignition, front and rear lights, a horn and a few instrument lights - i can then start to sort out the size and location of the wiring box (for the reg/rec, battery, on/off switch, cdi etc...)

20. Sam phantom

Sam phantom Active Member

Loving this rebuild! Check out my malaguti...