LX50 Tuning

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by tinribs, Feb 6, 2007.

1. wobbly_trials

wobbly_trials Active Member

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    yeah malossi can't tell what crank your'e running or what piipe or what reeds, or filter etc... they set it up as a very rough starting point (probably too rich to stop any serious damage being done)

2. tinribs

tinribs New Member

They knew what 50% of the above was, they supplied the reeds and it was for the standard airbox with a mod that was in their intructions.

Must have been a very rough set up! The instructions even have the cheek to say not to make any adjustments to the calibration of the carb if not jets/etc are supplied with it. Which they wern't.

I think i know what I've got to do, get the exhaust sorted, get the variaotr and clutch on next week and take it to get tuned!

Do you guys know of a pipe that'll fit this scoot that isnt restricted?

Thanks and sorry for going on and on

3. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    a malossi carb is NEVER set up.. usually they come with the idle mix wound right it, the needle on the top notch and a completly useless jet. thas befor we go into the wrong slide/pilot jet.. if you dont want to spend hours and hours playing with it id sudgest taking it to somone who knows what there doing (make sure they do tho as theres PLENTY of shops that have setup carbs for friends, only to find the settings are completly wrong)

4. tinribs

tinribs New Member

LOL come to think of it, i think the needle was on the top notch! - think i had better come out of cuckoo land. Although I just went down to my garage and started the scooter, it now starts quicker then it used to, didn't ride it as i'd only upset myself!

I will be taking it somewhere to get it set up, i just worry about where to take it, does anyone know if HGB in south Ruislip are any good? I've got two brothers, one of them knows a bloke there and says they are good and my other bro says he wouldnt take it there!

5. wobbly_trials

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    sounds like it's overfuelling to me. easier starting = more fuel than necessary??!!

6. tinribs

tinribs New Member

yeah good point, didnt need any choke, would it be worth me dropping the clip on the needle down to the bottom position?

I founf that cable mechanism so fiddly! my fat fingers don't help :D

7. wobbly_trials

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    nah, i think you wouldhave to re-jet. best bet is to take it for a run and then check the plug colour.

8. tinribs

tinribs New Member

re jetting would be easier! although its only a 70 main jet, you reckon i should go a bit smaller? would be good to get it nearly right before i tske it anywhere

9. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    if it starts easily without the choke then its an idle mix problem.. can also be the needle position tho. hold it at 1/4 throttle.. if the revs slowly drop then drop the needle.. if they go up with no throttle movement lift the needle. if you snap the throttle quickly to full from idle and it bogs then play wiht the idle screw. start at 1-2 turns out and play ether way till it responds instantly to any throttle movement.

10. SimonT

SimonT New Member

with the speed issue....mines doing the same...

its revving its titties off.... i think its just run out of gear.

this is an intersting read tho, as its what i plan on doing down the track....

11. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    make a new post an we can help... dont want to clutter posts with diff things

12. tinribs

tinribs New Member

Thanks buddy, I'll give it a go towards the end of the week, payday on friday so im going to buy some bits and take it to a tuner.

13. tinribs

tinribs New Member

:w00t: Scooters' booked in for thursday, with HGB scooterzone in South Ruislip. I spoke to the bloke who will be doing the work, he's an older chap who seemed to know what he was talking about (said pretty much exactly what minor confusion has said about the carb, plus he's my brothers friend, so hopefully it'll all work out ok. Unfortunately they don'y do exhaust fabrication, so i'll have to go back to the drawing board on that one......

14. Starkie

Starkie New Member

try n get a pic of it, one of us will be able to tell ya if its restricted...

15. tinribs

tinribs New Member

I will do, hopefully i'll get time at the weekend to whip it off :D

16. tinribs

tinribs New Member

:msn1: Well, that was a waste of time. I got down there and the bloke I spoke to had the day off. the other blokes there said they didnt really do much tuning although they are a scooter shop.

I did manage to get that restrictor out of the pipe though, saw the two little tack welds, ground them off and pulled the conical tube out. the pipe was really rusty so i've sanded it down, will paint it tomorrow and take it for a run, see if its any better.

I tried some of the suggestions with the throttle, snap it full open, revs fine, its seems to be ok in all of its positions.

Guess its best to get the carb set up properly once the exhaust has been derestircted anyway....

Some pics if anyone ever gets a gianelli smile

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. SimonT

SimonT New Member

hey man....
    is that last shop with the restrictor taken out?

ive never seen on in before.....

18. tinribs

tinribs New Member

Yep, thats with it taken out, it doesn't look all that different with it in! apart from it being a tiny bit smaller. I didn't see it the first time round.....

19. tinribs

tinribs New Member

:w00t: Well I never.

I would never have thought that that tiny bit of pipe would make so much difference! it flies now, see why you'd need a gear up kit, i had it off the clock but it feels like its got more power in it. its great.

I can get my fat arse up hills without really noticing the incline.

Its running properly now, well it sounds like it is, i actually had to use choke to start it. After it warmed up, i had to wind the idle in about 2 turns to get it to idle nicely, will check the plug colour tomorrow.

Thanks for all your help guys :D

20. tErr0

tErr0 Administrator Staff Member

The more power an exhaust makes the bigger the restrictor is going to be...

For example crap low end exhausts like Leo ZX's have a single washer style restrictor where it meets the barrel.

Yasuni's have two restrictors as they produce more power. Some exhausts such as the Polini for race have a single restrictor in the same place as a ZX but one hell of a massive resonator pipe... again this is because it makes a lot of power.

As you pipe is not a proper top end sports exhaust more a slight adjustment over standard it only needs a very small restrictor.