LX project

Discussion in 'Maxiscooter Tuning' started by Civvy, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Civvy

Civvy Member

I'm thinking of a build for an LX.

GT200 Cases (Leader) - gives me a rear disc with a 110/60/12 tyre.

Radiators in the same place as on the GT with the inner legshield grilles moulded into the LX similarly.

Malossi cyl & V4 head.

I'd like to know if the GT mount will work? - If not i'll have to fab one.

I'm also contemplating going over to EFI.

2. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    Civvy likes this.
  3. ramo

ramo GoldMember

It's hard work putting radiators and a bottle on a bike not designed for it especially a small one. Be mindful that rain inside the bodywork will make it rust aswell. Everything else is bolt on though

Civvy likes this.
  4. Civvy

Civvy Member

Are you sure about the GT swingarm?

5. Civvy

Civvy Member

IMG_5331.JPG IMG_5333.JPG IMG_5332.JPG Here's some pics from Google to share my research (non are mine):

6. ramo

ramo GoldMember

I've never seen anyone do this with an LX but the width of the mount on Vespas are all the same size at the frame so should do

The drawings on easyparts.nl are really good for comparing what you have against what you need for unusual conversions

Civvy likes this.
  7. Civvy

Civvy Member

8. andythebuilder

andythebuilder New Member

oopsclunkthud had an engine mount made, however i do know a piaggio zip 125 engine mount will allow you to fit it , you will need to cut a 2" square from the top of the brace where the inspection cover is to allow room for thermostat housing and where the top water hose connects.
    my next project is a b.v 350 in a new primavera, i'm just on the lookout for a cat2 bv 350 donor, i will purchase a new primavera.
    good luck with your build.
    cheers Andy

9. Civvy

Civvy Member

This will eventually go in a new Sprint and be fuel injected.
    I thought the 350 was even longer than the 300!

I think there's more strength in Piaggios original GT swingarm (steel either side of the engine) than the one sided LX type that gets in the way of the down pipe.
    Based on what Ramo's said with the frames being the same width and we know the engine's a Leader, there's only length to answer. Think I'll order one now.

Appreciate everyone's input!

10. andythebuilder

if you actually look at a zip125 mount you will see its built identicle to a gt/gts mount only shorter trust me, i have many years engineering piaggio products.
    cheers Andy

Civvy likes this.
  11. Civvy

Civvy Member

12. ramo

ramo GoldMember

That malossi one looks a nice bit of kit but not so useable for this I don't think, the adjustment will change angle more than wheelbase and would make it a lot higher in the front at the same time

I've got a full 50 4t zip mount handy if you need measurements etc, pretty sure that's the same size as 100/125 one.

13. Civvy

Civvy Member

That's very kind; I'd appreciate a couple of pics and if you could tell me the distance from frame bolt to engine bolt that'd be fab - thanks a lot.

Why would it raise it at the front as you say? - Was going to buy it

14. andythebuilder

that gorilla arm will only fit 2t motors

15. Civvy

Civvy Member

I don't see why it couldn't be made to suit both

16. andythebuilder

its your £180 to burn, if i bought a mount and then needed to fabricate / mod it to fit then i would save the outlay and just fabricate one in the first place.

Civvy likes this.
  17. Civvy

Civvy Member

Andy I got hold of a ZIP mount and can’t get it to work, the front long bolt is right under the exhaust port still.