Low power

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by Tutts, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Tutts

Tutts New Member

Have low power and using spark plugs up over about 2 weeks. Not starting and need to change plug. At first it would run at full power for a few days. But now only have about 80 % power. Also if I stop have to wait for a bit as won't restart.

2. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

When you say that you are using spark plugs up then what do you mean? It sounds like you are running rich which is causing your plugs to foul with unburnt fuel. The waiting before you can restart suggests the same, you have to wait a little while for the extra fuel to evaporate before the engine is happy again.
    If it used to run well and this is a new problem then it could be a few things. Check the air filter is clean and there are no blockages. This would reduce the airflow and make the mixture rich.
    Next check that the choke is working. If it’s an auto choke then you need to remove it from the carburettor and test it on a 12v battery. Lots of YouTube videos on it.
    Thirdly you need to tune the carb. You will either have an air screw adjuster (by the air intake) or a fuel screw adjuster (by the engine side of the carb). Whichever you have you need to lean out the mix. Airscrew means turning anti-clockwise a little to allow more air in or fuel screw turns clockwise to reduce the fuel amount. You must research YouTube first for hints and tips.
    Personally I would start by opening the air filter box, check it’s clean and then replace the cover without the inner filter. Run the scoot briefly up the road. If this has helped then you were running rich. Replace the filter (never ride without it) and check points 2 & 3.
    Let us know how it goes.
    After these checks it will be a carb clean?!

3. Tutts

Tutts New Member

Right checked and cleaned the air filter. Made no difference. What shall I try next?

4. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

Check the choke is working properly then retune the carburettor. Let us know how that goes