lost its 'Ummph'

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Ice70, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Ice70

Ice70 New Member

The bike still does its top and it accels like hell, but in the middle ie: 20-45 its pretty sluggish..

Im 99% sure its rollers as i do like to rev it alot, but before i go through the stages :eh: Any other reasons people can think of lol...the 70 kit has just done 3k now, but shoudn't be loosing 'go' should it :msn1:

Charrrz people

2. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    hit the nail there m8.. rollers or belt is worn so replace where needed. :ped:

3. Ice70

Ice70 New Member

Cheers minor, thought it would be that way just needed claryfying :cool:

btw, how long have i got left on me 70kit in yr opinion?,as said 3k done which are pretty hard miles, but always warmed up..etc

i know its a near impossible question to answer, but should do another 2k? :eh: shoudn't it!

4. tErr0

tErr0 Administrator Staff Member

The barrel will keep going for easily 17k more miles.

What you need to be thinking about is your rings. Have you ever changed them?

5. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    another good point actually...

6. Ice70

Ice70 New Member

not yet no? Should i be looking into that then?

Just such a bloody pain in the arse last time to get to the engine, don't fancy doing it, unless its major...

Thanks for the help btw...

7. tErr0

tErr0 Administrator Staff Member

I thought i replyed to this. Hmm.

They should need to be changed yet but without a compression tester it's a bit hard to work out if they should be changed.

8. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    first thing you notice with worn rings is its hard to start off electric even tho it turns over fine.

9. tweak

tweak Member

you should see a slight increase in the amount of smoke but only if you check normally anyway

10. pricey

pricey Member

can't you check compression by covering up the exhaust and seeing if it cuts out?!

So if it doesnt cut out you have bad compression and if it does your ok.

:eh:

11. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    no, that so called "test" is only to see if your exhaust is blowing.. i recomend you never cover the pipe as it throws pressure back towards the engine and can do damage

12. tweak

tweak Member

No. that "checks" exhaust sealing/back pressure just as minor beat me to it and correctly stated it fucks about with the shockwave effect, not good.

a quick compression check is to whip the spark plug out, keep the throttle open and then kick the motor over keeping your thumb over the plug hole. If its blown off or a loud pop occurs compression is ok to run generally. If there is no pop or pressure coming out you are either doing it wrong or your seals/reeds etc need replacing.

If your handier with the tools whip the variator out and look for oil weeping from the bottom of the crankseal.

13. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    ive found an engine will "fart" on your thumb at anything as low as 10psi so you wont really notice any dropped pressure this way till its totally fucked :nerd:

just go get a tester, there fairly cheap, wind into the plug hole and tells you exactly what the pressure is.

150 is good but anything above 120 is usually fine

14. pricey

pricey Member

O right, it was just what I had been told Minor, I don't like doing it and I only have once.

My mates at school did it to each other and it used to piss me off when they tried it as I had a feeling it doesn't do any good.

:eh: