LC vs. AC engine - Gilera Runner stator, cdi on a Typhoon

Discussion in 'Maxiscooter Tuning' started by donic, Dec 14, 2010.

1. donic

donic New Member

I read in a piaggio tech bulletin the factory Runner CDI module has got two non progressive ignition advances, 9 deg @ 1500rpm & 22 deg at 7500rpm.
    Apparently the aircooled engine CDI is locked at 19 deg.

Does that mean the LC engine revs higher and goes harder than the AC?

I hooked up a tachometer to me (factory spec) skipper 150 AC and it was not going higher than 6000rpm

I did a search on the board and someone mention you can put the LC CDI module into an AC engine - would that make the AC engine rev higher or just melt it?

2. D1nzfe

D1nzfe Member

Rides:
    SR
    Re: LC vs. AC engine

the tacho u used is broken.

3. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster

if it wont go over 6k then its probably more to do with poor transmission componants...

you HAVE to match the cdi and flywheel in combination. they fitted the fixed curve cdi to the ac as the 125 ali kit produced FAR superior power to the lc... its not a bad thing, its just ment to be learner legal and with the lc cdi/flywheel it plain made too much power. for instance, my ac 125 with fuck all tunning parts made over 10bhp (using an ac cdi and runner pipe) where as a completly stock lc makes just over 8bhp.... i wont guess at what the lc cdi makes stand alone as ive not tested it on a dyno, but again, it is noticable and gives you the option to run the malossi cdi (pointless wihtout a kit carb and revvy pipe to take advantage of the more advanced ignition curve)

hope this wasent too confusing.. ac cdi works, but the lc ignition isnt as restrictive when it comes to tunning

fitting the lc cdi and fly to the ac engine gives a noticable gain.

4. donic

donic New Member

Thanks minor - my skipper 150 has original factory transmission components with more than 5000 miles, so probably way overdue for a replacement, me scooter gets up to 70mph pretty quick, and goes good enough with its production set up.
    It makes sense tho.. the fly wheel and CDI should be matched I got me hands on a spare Piaggio LC CDI module and wondered if it would work in the skipper 150 AC, so from what I gather I will need an LC flywheel to get any use out of it...
    The tacho I was using is a SRA Scitsu made in Sheffield, I reckon it's accurate enough, I asked the question because my skipper at full power feels like it could easy get another 2000RPM at least.

5. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster

ye switch out the rollers, there probably worn to fuck... it should still pull top revs at top speed (easy 9k on the stock pipe)

the STATIC timing of both flywheels is completly different, the advance is worked off of this and theres enough opposit offset on the ac fly to make the engine run backwards with the wc cdi if you dont match the flywheel...

basicly, sort your belt an rollers, swap out the cdi and flywheel for a wc and reap the rewards of a nice revvy 150. there fucking mental engines as stock with the lc cdi

6. D1nzfe

D1nzfe Member

Rides:
    SR

am i not maxing out my setup on AC flywheel on LC stator and LC cdi?
    AC flywheel and LC looks 100% same,except for holes.

7. donic

donic New Member

Apparently the charge coil is not the same between the AC and LC stator - different coil resistance so (I guess) the flywheel would be too... now I gotta go find me a wrecked Hexagon or similar LC to get the bits.

Attached Files:

8. D1nzfe

D1nzfe Member

Rides:
    SR

nice info

9. bertie

bertie Active Member

Rides:
    '93 Skipper LX125

Yea thats some really helpfull info there! I never knew the stock AC 125 topends were ali :), I always thought they were iron kits!

Nice to know that an AC with LC ignition will kick out more power than a whole LC motor too! This should be a sticky!!

10. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster

the point is to have more advance at lower rpm aswell as more ontop (if you can use it, otherwise your not wasting anything having it) as for the flywheels... you need to look closer, the woodruff key position and pickup triger area are both in completly different positions between the lc and ac flywheel.

looks can be deceptive, and bad advise is bread from "oh i thought" :)

11. donic

donic New Member

12. Bumlethal

Bumlethal Member

damn donic.....ur a lifesaver......one of my green wires ripped off the stator and had no idea where it went.....wasnt sure if it went with the other green wire.....now i do :grin:

13. LewisDibz

LewisDibz Member

Rides:
    Piaggio zip 70cc

right so let me get this right if you fit a lc flywheel and cdi to a air cooled typhoon will it give you more speed and power or will it not make any diffents thanks lewis

14. tErr0

tErr0 Administrator Staff Member

Re: LC vs. AC engine - Gilera Runner stator, cdi on a Typhoo

Did you not even bother reading the topic?

15. HHR

HHR New Member

hello
    This is really nice info. I have already been searching around ebay for a lc flywheel and cdi. I have then discovered that a hexagon lc cdi, there is a ground wire. Which there not is on a cdi from a runner. Does any one know if this advance goes for all lc cdi units. I want to buy the right parts the first time..

16. donic

donic New Member

Are you refering to the black wire coming from the CDI ? - That is a ground (chassis) same as the white wire from stator ground. It will work with one or the other connected better to have both though :grin:

Note, you need to swap the CDI, Flywheel AND Stator to get RPM advance. The trigger coil on the (red) CDI has stepped coil core that is different to the aircooled (black) type.

17. HHR

HHR New Member

18. typhoonrg

typhoonrg New Member

Very interesting read indeed!

So just to clearify... the LC CDI/Flywheel on an AC engine gives more power than even an LC engine!?

19. millsy

millsy "MORE SMOKE MORE POKE" ;)

Rides:
    Gilera runner 172
    I've just found out my lc runner is running an air cooled flywheel and cdi and have been told my timing could be as much as 2mm out is that true or Is the guy trying to have my pants down as he said if I give him my stator and £30 I can have a lc one ?

(Cdi is black as is pick up on stator )

20. ramo

ramo GoldMember

Does the flywheel have screw holes for a fan?