Lambretta auto ( 125 skipper a/c engine )

Discussion in 'Maxiscooter Tuning' started by skibretta, Jul 2, 2009.

1. skibretta

skibretta New Member

quick question ....

Do rollers need to be greased when fitted or are they supposed to run dry ?

Thanks in advance Justin ..

2. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    dry, the manual shows the old style variators with diff roller material.
    cheaper rollers you need to grease but there the more shiny plasticky ones you should steer clear of anyway.. if there matted texture you dont need to grease them

3. skibretta

skibretta New Member

Just a quick question ....

What is the best way to run in the 172 aircooled kit ?

I have done a search but again seems to be conflicting views on this ....

Have run kits in on Lambrettas and vespa before usualy for 250 miles or so some for only around 50/100 and have been fine all these were cast iron barrels though ...

Thanks in advance Justin...

4. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    doesent need running in.. just dont hold full thorttle for more than 5-10 seconds for the first say hour...

should be runing it hot then cooling down then running hot then cooling down when its first built.. your literally cutting the rings. the nicasil/piston wears only when the kit is on its way out.

5. skibretta

skibretta New Member

Bloody hell that was quick .... thanks ...

Will try and bung the engine back in tonight and get a few miles on over the weekend ...

But wiil probably end up having a couple of pints and taking the other Lambretta out instead ...

6. skibretta

skibretta New Member

Shit that reads a bit bad .... o_O

Meant will probably have a couple of pints tonight instead of fitting the engine and go for a spin on the other Lambretta tomorow ... :)

7. skibretta

skibretta New Member

Need bit of help ...

Does anyone know what tyre size i can use on a 10" wheel to give the equivelant of an early runner wheel and tyre size ...

As i can't seem to get a gear kit for a skipper/hexagon on 10" wheels anywhere beleive mallossi have stopped making them but can get an early runner one 15/41 ratio spline type but is obviously for larger wheels ...

Altenatively has anyone got a splined gear kit for 10" wheels part number m678657 15/41 ratio ...

Or know of another way round the problem ...

Thanks in advance Justin ...

8. tErr0

tErr0 Administrator Staff Member

Totally missed this post but please feel free to email admin@scootershack.co.uk if you want any help in putting pictures up.

9. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    120 90 10 gives close to the right profile of a slim tyred 12" wheel... as for the gears i cant be sure but i belive the typhoon old shape gears will fit the engine... just match the spline type on the ley shaft... if you can get pics up of what you have it would be easier to identify a gear kit for ya

10. skibretta

skibretta New Member

Cheers minor ....
    It's definatly the old type gears with the spline fit .....

Just unsure as to take a chance on the only gear kit i seem to be able to find in the whole of the country that is spline fit and is 15/41 ratio but is for an early runner ....

The spec for the skipper /hexagon kit is also 15/41 spline fit ....

By the way the engine is back in the bike and had aquick spin the other night ...

Unfortunatly it has now developed the habit of lifting the front wheel quite easily :)

11. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    LOL gotta take the chance m8.... or draw up your gears (as in tech drawing) and fax/email it to a decent parts supplier.. they will mesure it for you an check? or just order one and see? surely they can swap it if its wrong? (if you ask them to match the gears and they sudgest it is the runner type then there responcible for the parts being correct, if not they can NOT apply a service or handeling charge as they told you they were correct) just be wary as alot of places are assholes wiht returns/handeling charges

12. skibretta

skibretta New Member

Managed to find someone to order me a gear kit ....

Going to take around 3 weeks to arrive from mallossi Italy ....

Anyway been out on the Lambretta this weekend for coulpe of decent rides , overall well impressed with the performace ...

Bike is booked in for a dyno this thursday ...

Yeah i know its probably a bit premature and why not wait till the gear kit turns up fit it and then dyno it ....

But just want to get a benchmark figure for just ther bolt on mods i've done to it so far..

Thanks again for everyones advice regarding setting the bike up so far ....

Justin ....

13. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    dyno will get the rollers/jetting spot on, once you fit the gear up you will have to change the rollers, jetting should be fine.

14. skibretta

skibretta New Member

Dyno day today....

Will post the results tommorow ....

Not expecting huge power as the mods are pretty mild compared to some but quite happy with the performance so far ...

Anyway it makes me smile to see peoples faces when they have just been overtaken by a tatty 45 year old Lambretta :)

15. skibretta

skibretta New Member

Results ..... ( Bearing in mind std skipper is 10.3 bhp )

18.4 bhp ..

Nice flat topped power curve .....

Chuffed ....

16. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    sounds prommising.. got any pics of the fuckin thing yet? :grin:

17. skibretta

skibretta New Member

Yeah still working on that ....

Just imagine a tatty old yellow li 150 with primer sidepanels :)

Through sheer embarresment Didn't mention earlier that i had a bit of an off on it on the way home ....

As the carb had been off a few times for jetting it came loose on the way home ...

stopped on the path beside the road to re atatch/tighten ...

But missed that the outer cable had come out the guide in the top of the carb obviously opening the slide ...

Got back on the bike and a dab of the starter and the bloody thing shot off like a startled hare first thing i did was pull in the non existent clutch whils trying to hit the kill switch and using a brick wall to my left to slow me down ....

Result = one broken headset bottom slight crease on the legshields one kneecap with no flesh on a sore shoulder and a knee 3 times the size of the other :)

Luckily no one was on the path at the time as could have been a lot worse ...

Luckily i wasn't on the road at the time either or would have been in the back of a car ...

Been riding lambrettas and vespas for 15 years and my first off ....

Gotta laugh though and with only 18.4 bhp ...

Mybe i should put a lambretta engine back in it lol :grin:

18. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    ahHAH... the curse of the open auto throttle has struck again...

now you know why anyone wiht a typh/runner/sr full throttles and turns back really quietly to hear the slide hit the idle pin (i cant start a bike wihtout checking this now... fucking things)

19. skibretta

skibretta New Member

Yeah gonna be keeping an eye on that from now on ...

F*cking knee is killing seems to get locked out straight and locked when bent barely slept the last 2 nights ....

Nevermind Newark bike autojumble tomorrow ...

Bloody slim chance of finding any lambretta parts though ....

20. MrG

MrG New Member

Rides:
    Dragster
    Loving this thread , As we have done a few auto lamby conversions in the past Not for one mo saying I know any more than the guys on here in fact quite the opposite where autos are concerned. We live and learn, But after popping into team dwarf the other day have picked up some knowledge and looking forward to learning the dark art of the auto LOL :cool: