KTM

Discussion in 'Bike Chat' started by WOLFFY, Apr 13, 2008.

1. -Grant-

-Grant- New Member

no what you was saying is that it does'nt do no damage

2. WOLFFY

WOLFFY New Member

Rides:
    Runner 172
    I wont do any damage. As long as you are not caining the fuck out of it. If you are just riding around at abuot 30-40 at not too high revs it won't.

3. -Grant-

-Grant- New Member

well if your riding around at around 30-40 then why not use it

4. WOLFFY

WOLFFY New Member

Rides:
    Runner 172
    If you don't have to use it, then why use it?

5. -Grant-

-Grant- New Member

if your trying to go fast and get fastest possible gear changes then i can see why your not going to use the clutch but if your just going with the traffic why do it?

6. WOLFFY

WOLFFY New Member

Rides:
    Runner 172
    Yeah but if you was going as fast as possible trying to get the fastest possible gear change then I would use the clutch... Otherwise you are going to get a nice gearbox...

7. -Grant-

-Grant- New Member

but the only benefit to not using the clutch is to get the quickest possible gearchange so if your going slow your not worried about changing gear quickly so you may aswell just use the clutch... to be honest you are going on like this but you obviously do not know what your talking about.

8. WOLFFY

WOLFFY New Member

Rides:
    Runner 172
    Well it aint gonna damage the gearbox at low speeds is what I am trying to get at. High speeds it will. Low speeds no.

Edit: I am talking about sport bikes e.g. R1, R6, Ninja etc when I say that not using the clutch at low speeds willl not damage the gearbox.
    On MX bikes you dont neccesarily need to use the clutch when going fast.

9. -Grant-

-Grant- New Member

but what is the point in shortening your gearbox life if you are just going along with the traffic, it does wear the gearbox at low speeds.

10. wobbly_trials

wobbly_trials Active Member

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    the damage is done when you are not smooth with the gear changes. the clutch is there for a reason, use it unless you are confident in changing without or good at rebuilding gearboxes.

i did 75 miles in the car the other day with no clutch, gearbox seems fine.

11. -Grant-

-Grant- New Member

:pimp: someone with some scense

12. wobbly_trials

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    ALL bike gearboxes (with exception to old british and a few italian bikes) work the same way, no matter what the engine size, the reason off-road bikes are more suited to not using it is because there is a slight lack of grip betweent he wheel and the ground, therefore not stressing the gearbox as much.

race bikes dont use the clutch very often but they are losing gearbox life in the pursuit of faster laptimes, not really necessary on the road.

13. WOLFFY

WOLFFY New Member

Rides:
    Runner 172
    Well obviously if you slam it into gear without the clutch it will damage it. As Wobbly said it has to be a smooth change or the teeth will just grind.

14. wobbly_trials

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    i managed 4 months without a clutch cable on my derbi, just a case of being careful.

15. WOLFFY

WOLFFY New Member

Rides:
    Runner 172
    Whoh... how did you pull away?

Edit: With great difficulty I'm imagining :rofl:

16. wobbly_trials

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    bump started it and jumped on, or started it in neutral, rolled downa hill and knocked it into gear

17. Dec

Dec Active Member

Rides:
    nothing ugm
    u bump started your bike everytime you came to a stop? FOR FOUR MONTHS?

:punk:

18. Sw1fT

Sw1fT Active Member

Rides:
    200SX S13
    nock it into neutral when you stop...

why the hell would you turn it off every time, get off at traffic lights, run along and bump start it :msn1:

19. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    synchro's get the gears moving in time for the change.. if you let it hoiver in nuteral for a second betweenm gears it will change clutchless and freely.. bike's sequential box's have more sophiosticated synchro's (wear alot quicker) hence theres an instant clutchless gearchange. its just the way the gearbox is set out.

20. WOLFFY

WOLFFY New Member

Rides:
    Runner 172
    I rest my case