Kawasaki Don't Recommend Fully Synthetic Oil?

Discussion in 'Bike Chat' started by Stevep, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Just spent a few hours on my zzr1100 trying to find this bloody noise. It sounded typically like the valves ticking and needed the shims adjusting. So off everything comes and the valve gaps are perfect. Every one of them smack in the middle of the clearances given.
    So I'm thinking that the rear cam chain guide has worn, easy enough to replace, so put in a call to Cradley Kawasaki, spoke to Darren, good fella, we're chatting away and i happen to mention that I have used Mobil fully synthetic oil in it on the last oil change.
    Oooh, he goes!
    Kawasaki dont recommend using fully synthetic oil in any of their bikes, even todays super bikes.
    Apparently they had a zx10 in with the same problem, couldn't find anything wrong, put a call into Kwaki who gave them this info, did an oil change for decent non synthetic oil and it cured the rattle.
    Which got me thinking, for the last few years I have been using Castrol Magnatec, I normally use it in all my big bikes, but there was none available at the last oil change so thats when i used the Mobil stuff.
    So after that phone call I'm going to use some 10w/40 part synthetic i have on the shelf and see what happens.

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Well, the top end rattle has gone, but the really bad news is the front cam chain slipper has also gone. And to do that one is an engine split job. Cylinder head off jobbie.
    That means full gasket set, front and rear chain slippers, cam chain. Best part of £250.
    The good thing, I suppose, is that it will have the full de-coke, valves out, re-ground and re-seated, new seals, piston crowns cleaned, ports cleaned but not polished. As well as all the new gaskets.
    At least I wont have to worry about the base or cylinder gasket going on me for a good few years yet.
    Now, where to find the time from to do it all..............
    And the workbench will have to be COMPLETELY clear of any and all stuff!

3. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    I feel better now............:D.:D.

4. scootzmadness

scootzmadness Left the forum.

Rides:
    None.
    funnily enough Honda have told me not to use fully synthetic in the CB400 and the NSS300 :confused:

5. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Maybe it's because the engines are manufactured so tightly these days

6. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Why????

7. scootzmadness

Rides:
    None.
    quite possibly. might ask about it when I go in to Honda to get a few bits and bobs for the scooter and see what they say. ive ran most of my bikes on fully synthetic and never had a problem. even the triumph was on fully synthetic.

8. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

I usually use higher quality oil in my bikes, simply because they work harder than cars, rev higher, get up to speed quicker, etc etc

9. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Ooops,my bad.wrong post.mk.

10. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

we use castrol power 1 at work or yamalube 10/40 (depends on thestock when the barrel runs dry) the only bikes we ever use anything differnt is can-am and stuff, because we use the official oil. never had any problems with kwaks... maybe its because of the colder climate? i got told my R100 uses mineral oil, still not bought any yet, not sure what to get in all fairness

11. scootzmadness

Rides:
    None.
    at the moment im just going to follow Hondas advice for the NSS300, because right now, only they really know about the scooter, not many other people do. just going to keep servicing it with oil/filters etc they say and at the time periods they set out and hope for the best. as for the CB400 ill just put the same type of oil that has been put in it from day one.