It ain't a Suzuki, it's a Yamaha!

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by Stevep, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Here we go again.
    Just picked this up.
    Paid £20 for it.
    Said i'd have this before i even looked at it. Was told it was a suzuki 100cc, but isn't. It's a yamaha 100cc 2 stroke. What model i have no idea at all yet, as he has to dig the papers out. Yes he has the original V5 for it.
    All I know is it's a 1978, old 'S' reg, 100cc, 2 stroke.
    I have no idea if the engine is free or not, the plug is in it and tight and it's been under cover. Not been used in over 15 years so i'm told. Maybe longer.
    the frame is in what seems remarkable condition, barely a rust spot on it. Yes it's missing a few little things, and the fork tubes need replacing more than likely; surprisingly both the front and rear brakes are not seized on.
    this is going to be a labour of struggle i think, but will be nice when back to it's original new condition. I shall do a full restoration on this i think.
    Anybody give me a clue as to what i've bought here??? DSC_0271.jpg DSC_0272.jpg

2. torpedo01

torpedo01 Active Member

Rides:
    Pedal Bike M8
    looks like the bike lee mason had a while back, a rxs100 ?

Stevep likes this.
  3. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Yep, that's an RXS 100. I'd forgotten about that model. I was thinking that it might have been a YB100 until I saw the pictures, as Steve asked me via PM about 100cc Yamahas.

It's a sporty little 100cc bike and with an Allspeed or Micron tuned pipe on it, they go quite well. They are disc valve based, if my memory serves me.

It's got FS1-E tank decals though (I think, or maybe RD125) and they are wrong for the bike. This is the correct artwork for the RXS 100

[​IMG]

Stevep likes this.
  4. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

THATS THE BUGGER:D:D
    superstars on this forum, all of you, superstars:D

5. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

i just found an ad for a "stunner of a bike" for sale at £1995. Maybe i had a good touch......................but also found one at £500, but that was a 1993 model.

6. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Don't you just mean old farts, really? :p

7. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Na, be searching for hours if you lot weren't around. Good photo as well, thanks merlin, side panels are a little different to the ones on mine, but everything else looks to be very similar. Got a good base to work from now.

8. lee mason

lee mason Active Member

Rides:
    suzuki rg125 gamma
    looks like an rs100

9. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    There were two versions of the side panels. One version had a 'chrome' effect front section to each panel and the panels were more rounded, the other was the squarer 'vented' version in the photo I posted. This is the other version with the 'chrome' bits.

[​IMG]

I think that's nearer to the actual model you have. Note that the exhaust bracket and some other details have changed. Some models had disc brakes, some had drums.

[​IMG]

In some markets it was called the RX100, in others the RS100; in the UK, it was the RX-S 100 'Energy Induction'.

10. lee mason

lee mason Active Member

Rides:
    suzuki rg125 gamma
    defo a rs100 hfwpui.png

11. lee mason

lee mason Active Member

Rides:
    suzuki rg125 gamma
    having the seat in that condition is proberly worth £100 to the right person as the bases always rust away

12. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

You lot are giving me a stiffy with all these photos:rolleyes:
    @Merlin
    Yes my side panels have the squarer front edge so the second blue one you posted is the correct one.

I've discovered it's got points and condenser on it,
    and THE ENGINE TURNS FREELY:eek:
    Blew the tyres up and so far they've stayed up.
    The front brake works freely as well, but going to have to make a list of things it needs, and thanks to you all, with the photos you've all posted, i definately have solid ground to work from.

13. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Parts for it appear to be all over eBay, Steve. Your model should have the square clocks and there are loads on there. Are you going for 100% original or are you going to add a tuned pipe?

14. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Hopefully going to keep it original, or as near as damn it.
    The girl I had it off wouldn't let it be scrapped or go to someone who would just abuse then scrap it, and just because i came with a recommendation that it would be fixed and put back on the road she let me have it.
    And to be honest, its probably going to be worth more completely standard than tuned.
    Hopefully somebody will come along with nostalgic memories of owning one in their youth.

15. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Check if yours has a rev counter drive fitted. Some models had twin clocks with the warning lights in the middle, some didn't and only had a speedo fitted, with warning lights either side. It looks like someone tried to 'Café racer' the handlebars by turning them down like clip-ons.

16. lee mason

lee mason Active Member

Rides:
    suzuki rg125 gamma
    leave it toataly original but if you can find a micron exhaust for it it will add value

17. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Na, wasn't cafe racer'd, the bars are just loose and hanging down:D
    There's a lot of stuff on e-bay, mostly for the later models, 1983 onwards, not much for the early ones though, but might be able to source the originals through various contacts.

18. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    The '78 model would be a twin square clocks model.
    [​IMG]

This is the later '80s version.

[​IMG]

These are the side badges it should have, if it's the RX-S model.

[​IMG]

Technically, the RX-100 and RS-100 were the same bike.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They are all so similar, it's hardly worth arguing over.

19. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Had a quick look earlier, no rev cable that i can find, and looking at the engine around where i think it would go, there is only a blanked off area in the casting.
    One good thing, after 15 to 20 years of not being started/ridden, the tyres are still inflated after 24 hours:D

20. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

I just found a spark!:eek:
    It fuckin' sparks! :D
    And a good strong one as well.
    On the original plug that i just took out!