Scooter Shack is now a read-only archive. Over 20 years of scooter knowledge (2006–2026) is preserved here. New posts, replies and accounts are closed.
I'll be turning 16 soon and will be needing to travel ~5m on country roads.
The thing is, I'm a large guy, 6'2" 250lb, and there will be some medium hills and long inclines. I'm not too worried about holding traffic up as these roads are mainly used by the rural population but i don't want to have to rev the engine hard just to get 5mph on a hill. Or worse, walk it up.
The hills aren't too large, however I've heard mixed reviews on the power output of 50cc mopeds.
You would be alright on a 50cc runner I would have thought because they're big scooters and are fitted with the most powerful and best 50cc auto engine you can buy. Definatly steer clear of four stroke 50's won't get you up a kerb let alone a hill
My friend has a piaggio nrg which has the same engine as a runner (nrg would prob be too small for you) I've fitted a exhaust on the bike and set it up properly just to give the bike that couple of extra hp but didn't do anything else to keep the reliability and he commutes on it up a fucking massive hill every day he says it will do about 40 up the hill without much of a fuss and he's done this commute for 14 months never had a problem.
My friend has a piaggio nrg which has the same engine as a runner (nrg would prob be too small for you) I've fitted a exhaust on the bike and set it up properly just to give the bike that couple of extra hp but didn't do anything else to keep the reliability and he commutes on it up a fucking massive hill every day he says it will do about 40 up the hill without much of a fuss and he's done this commute for 14 months never had a problem.
Would it really be neccasary to mod it? I just tend to avoid breaking too many laws...
Also, i was looking at the gilera DNA 50, would it have enough umphf?
Dna's are ok just not as much storage on them and they aren't as comfortable to ride as runners if your commuting daily on it. As to riding illegal if you are going to keep the bike restricted to 30mph get a buss pass you won't get up hills as the power is restricted through the exhaust system 90 % of 16 year old ride around on deristricted bikes I personally think its safer and I'm sure you will only get grief from the law if you ride like an idiot
Dna's are ok just not as much storage on them and they aren't as comfortable to ride as runners if your commuting daily on it. As to riding illegal if you are going to keep the bike restricted to 30mph get a buss pass you won't get up hills as the power is restricted through the exhaust system 90 % of 16 year old ride around on deristricted bikes I personally think its safer and I'm sure you will only get grief from the law if you ride like an idiot
It seems my only option is to derestrict it. The saying 'only brake one law at a time' comes into play here then lol.
I understand your concerns but pretty much all 50's out there are derestricted. I doubt you'll even find a restricted second hand one.
Everyone does it and people rarely get caught, at 16 i had a 74cc aerox that would do 65-70mph every day on the way to college. I don't think having a derestricted 50 with a sports pipe will land you in a great deal of hassle
I wouldn't worry. For what its worth I had a mate who was 6'4 and atleast 220lbs that I gave lifts on my Gilera DNA (which is the heaviest 50 itself) once upon a time. Plus like 170lbs for me.. Wasn't comfortable..would do about 40 though .
Make sure you get the chance to ride a DNA a little bit atleast before buying one aswell cos they can be physically too small for some people
youve just reminded me of some massive guy near me who had a dna 125 he looks so funny riding that bike the forks used to almost bottom out when he sat on his bike
It seems my only option is to derestrict it. The saying 'only brake one law at a time' comes into play here then lol.
You sound like a sensible guy (breaking laws,etc.),playing devils advocate here-i'd derrstriction would be the way to go,doesn't make you a criminal but for s/one like you -doing it for all the right resaons.
P.s.,be comfortsble within yourself at making this decision , or your worries can be relayrd others through body language-those lovely
boys inblue tend to notice.
restricted 50s will go up hills, here in norway we restrict them to 45km/t (about 28mph), ive seen mopeds here up the mountain. i still would derestrict it tho, the engines can handle a pipe and derestricted trans no problem. have you thought of a geared bike (yamaha dt50, derbi senda etc etc) the senda comes in a model called the drd pro which is nice, has big disk, usd forks, el start etc etc. you can get up to 8hp on a standard pipe with an am6/derbi