Iron Kit Setups - Also Read if 50cc = 80mph?

Discussion in 'Scooter Tuning' started by Sw1fT, Jun 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sw1fT

Sw1fT Active Member

Rides:
    200SX S13
    Most people choose to either keep the standard bore or go for a cheap sport 70cc kit. These kits are generally iron kits, producing less power then an alloy kit but lasting longer. There are plenty of companies that make these kits, all of them are under 100GBP as far as im aware, although there are variations of the kits with more violent timings etc. Here is a basic lowdown on iron kit setups, which is for the low end tune, costing about 210 in total and creating around 4-6bhp and true top speed of around
    45-55mph with the right rollerweight and jetting setup. These figures can change as different bikes have different carbs, so figures are not 100% accurate.

Barrels

This is the most important bit of kit, if this goes wrong, the whole lot goes wrong, so doing it on the cheap may not always be the best way to go.

DR70

The DR70 kit is the lowest power producing kit with the standard head, adding a polini or equivalent head is advised as it can increase performance noticeably and at reasonably little cost. At only 55GBP for the AC version and 80GBP for the LC version it is the lowest priced 70kit out of the 3 in this guide.

Malossi Sport 70

The malossi sport kit produces slightly more power then the DR70 as the head is better suited and the port timings are slightly more violent. This kit is 67GBP for the AC version and 97GBP for the LC version, making it the most expensive for the LC.

Polini Sport 70

This kit is the better of the 3 kits, it is a long lasting kit which still produces a decent amount of power. This is again, 67GBP for the AC but just 93GBP for the LC, making it cheaper then malossi for the LC lovers out there.

Exhausts

After spending the money on the kit you wanted your now going to want to use that power more effectively with a decent pipe. Choosing the right pipe is essential as you want to be producing the right revs at the right time to get a good powerband and so a decent curve. The figures in this section are based on a sport setup and standard carb.

Gianelli reverse

This pipe is a nice sounding pipe which is well matched on the standard bore or one of the above bores. It is a nice revvy pipe with a decent powerband, producing around 4.5bhp on a sport 70kit. It retails at around 100GBP but can be picked up for cheaper if you hunt. It is not chromed and so will need to be treated well or coated in VHT. Bare in mind that no amount of love, care or paint will stop rust, but it will help to prevent it.

Leo Vince TT

This is a slightly tinnier sounding pipe, but again is well matched to either the standard bore or an iron bore like the 3 above. It is slightly less revvy as the reverse and produces a little less power at around 4.2bhp on a sport 70kit. This pipe is around 70GBP, which is considerably cheaper then the gianelli, but as stated, cheaper isnt always better. This, once again, isnt chrome and so will need equal care and attention to try and prevent rust.

Laser x pro

The laser x pro is my personal favourite of the 3 pipes, sounding much less like a bee in a bean can but still being considerably better revving then the Leo. Like the other 2 it is a good match for the standard bore or a sport 70 and produces around the 4.8bhp mark with the right rollerweight and jetting setup. This pipe retails at around the 100GBP mark but again can be picked up cheaper. This pipe is also chromed so will withstand the weather, and in my opinion, looks the dogs bollocks.

So there, for everyone after a cheap sport setup heres your guide, im sure people will add to it or it might even be put in the guides section! (hint hint)
    There are also extra's that can added to use the power better, such as variator kits and other transmission parts, but this is a basic setup guide. There is also the option to add a bigger carb to the list but this is up to the tuners discretion.

Also for those of you who are good at maths you will have added up the pipe and kit and come to a figure around between 160-200GBP, so why did i put 210? This is to allow for rollerweight tests and jetting changes, as these are the finer points of tuning that cant be ignored if you want to receive optimum power from your sport setup

Slayeh^

2. stephenfozzy

stephenfozzy Member

IT will give u more than 45-50mph top speed look on psn they tested exhausts on a dyno and most of then did 60mph with just they pipe, plus there are plenty of other good budget exhausts such as tecnigas which get slated but they perform well and out last a lot of other buget exhausts, plus you wud but an exhaust before a 70 kit.

3. tErr0

tErr0 Administrator Staff Member

Don't get dyno speed confused with road speed.

Budget exhausts are just that. Budget. Tecnigas's fall apart in no time at all.

4. The General

The General Member

sorry im quite new with scooters is an iron kit a carb kit or cylinder kit :emb:

5. Sw1fT

Sw1fT Active Member

Rides:
    200SX S13
    its a cylinder kit

and yeh dyno speed is different to road speed, and techniwank arent called that for no reason, the build quality is aweful.

and you get the 70kit before the exhaust, you can do it other ways but thats the best way, 70kit, then exhaust to match, you dont match a cylinder to a kit.

i really didnt like your attitude in that post, have to say.

6. The General

The General Member

ok how long do u have to run these kits in for?
    and when u run 1 in do u just keep the speed low around 30 for a good amount of miles?

7. Sw1fT

Sw1fT Active Member

Rides:
    200SX S13
    people say different things for running kits in, i am a firm believer in my method which is to start the bike and leave it on a fast idle for about 5 minutes, then take it for a ride for about 20-30 minutes varying the throttle up to 3/4 throttle for the first 10, then slowly going onto full throttle for a few seconds at a time. i usually say to leave it to cool down for atleast an hour or so, then ride the same as you were, varying into full throttle for progressively longer periods of time, until its clocked about 150-200km

edit - just to make certain, the speed isnt what is limited, its the revs, nothing over 3/4 for the first 10-15 minutes atleast, some say more some say less

8. The General

The General Member

ok thanks mate

cant wait to get my bike now

gonna fit a malossi/polini iron kit
    then after i've run it in
    put a laser xpro exhaust on

EDIT: When people say 70s kits can blow up what does it actually mean to blow up does the cylinder blow and i would therefore have to get another cylinder or does it affect the engine in anyway?

9. Sw1fT

Sw1fT Active Member

Rides:
    200SX S13
    yeh the cylinder gets wrecked and can potentially damage the cases, sometimes whiping out the transmission as well

not good.

10. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    happens because people fit them without changing a thing, need to change rollers/jetting of carb and oil ammount when fitting or it wont last long.

11. stephenfozzy

stephenfozzy Member

yeah well i have never seen a leo vince last they all snap quickly whereas ive seen tecnigas last without a problem for over a year but leo vince only last bout 8-9 months and ive seen the tt last 3 months they are crap! yeah obviously dyno speed is gonna be higher, but they read 60mph so reali you wud get more dan 45mph and if put a 70cc kit on the bike you can put heavier rollers in it and still have good acceleration, and also out of all the people ive seen get 70cc kits they all got there pipe first it makes sense why wud you used a racing piston barrel and head with a restricted exhaust

12. capri dave

capri dave Active Member

sorry to say this but I had a leo vince zx on my Runner for 4years..
    it never snapped and i found it to be an o.k exhaust..

They might not produce the highest top end power, but they are a nice
    torquey easy to set up and live with kinda pipe..

The only reason I recently changed it was because after 4 winters it was looking a bit worse for wear...so i bought an x pro, as they were supposed to be the best performing sports pipe :D

But the x pro is proveing to be a little harder to set up...and at the
    moment isnt performing as well as the ZX :w00t:

13. stephenfozzy

stephenfozzy Member

sure never heard of dem lasting dat long u keep ur bike in a garge? never seen an x pro exhaust on a bike not popular round my way

14. capri dave

capri dave Active Member

Well you have now :bird:

15. Sw1fT

Sw1fT Active Member

Rides:
    200SX S13
    in all honesty stephenfozzy, even in a slightly intoxicated state of mind i can tell your talking crap.

just because it reads 60 on a dyno doesnt mean its more then 45, put wind, rider weight etc into consideration. And the standard exhaust is fine if you want to run a 70 barrel, the barrel is the main tuning part, not the bloody exhaust.

i can tell you recite things youve been told by the way you use the term "racing" so loosely.

you match the exhaust to the barrel, not the other way round, getting the exhaust first is just a typical thing to do because its the most visual part, and makes it sound "phat" and "wicked".

get brains.

16. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    ok, dyno speed is all well and good but theres a simple way to think of it..

get a fan, any fan ad take the blades off it. it will spin fast and get to a higher rpm faster. then with the blades on it will have resistance as its gotta move air, wich of course is the blade cutting into the air and moving it bit by bit.

think of the air as weight the fans moving, the more it spins the more weight its moving (like a drill bit)
    your ped wheel is a fan without blades on a dyno. once on a road you have rider weight obviously (wich in turn doesent lower power but the ability the power has to move the object) also there is air pushing the bike back, aswell as increasing friction from the road surface aswell as the sheer vacume needed to divert backwards rushing air into a forward facing carb...

this all adds up to lower power on road as its power vs weight thats important.. aswell as air, air at 60mph takes say 10 times the force to move than at 0mph

put bluntly a bike can hit 160 on the dyno if geard right as the oposing weight (the roller) has kenetic energy behind it ( centrafugal forces taking weight from the roller to turn as the faster it spins the less force it takes) this doesent happen with the road as every cm there is as much resistance and the troad has no inertia.

ive personally seen big bikes hit 189 on a dyno yet only hit 160 on the road.
    also on the dyno an engine will show more power at higher speeds again to do with the gyroscopic force in the roller.

its pritty hard to explain in all honesty as power is a strange thing, think of it as electricity (messured in kw) if you put 20v from a batt to a test light you get 20v of light through the bulb at watever rating, if you resist the force to the bulb(as a road/air/rider weight) the light becoimes dimmer even tho the same power is at scorce, the delivery system looses power.

ether way, its how somthing goes on a road, somthing with 40bhp can be beaten by somthing with 20bhp. its down to delivery not max power

17. haugh

haugh New Member

Well exaplained :pimp: :nerd:

18. SR-STEF

SR-STEF New Member

gta say my bike had a leo vince zx on it and it wasnt the chrome pipe for 8 years or so till i got my hands on it n then it was off and a ginelli reverse straight on
    :D

19. stephenfozzy

stephenfozzy Member

wat u on about use the term racing losely a 70cc kit it not road legal they are purely for racing, nd u keep saying u match the exhaust to the 70 kit but you think about it before u get the exhaust but a bike with pipe and rollers would probably beat a a bike with a 70 and standard exhaust because the power from the 70 would be wasted its the same as if you dont touch the carb when you put a 70 on, think of it as breathing and if you can breath in and out properly you wudn't be very athletical. have you ever learnt about tuning engines? are you a mechanic?

20. stephenfozzy

stephenfozzy Member

and i not saying dyno speed isnt a lot different but with a 70cc kit you wud do mre than 45mph my m8 had sat nav and use it to test how accurate his speedo was and it was 2mph high which meant his real top speed was over 50mph and he just had a pipe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.