Indicators flashing fast only when bike is running

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Quinton, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Quinton

Quinton Member

Hi, guys, on my Runner 125 2011, I turn ignition on and the indicators are flashing fine both sides, soon as I turn the engine over and bike is running, they start flashing fast and interrnittent, could it be regulator, alternator and pulse generator coil?, thanks, Q

2. AndreiMadness125

AndreiMadness125 Member

Could possibly be a dodgy indicator flasher relay, do other lights work ok and can you test the voltage with the engine running?

3. Quinton

Quinton Member

Everything else works fine, I'm unable to test anything, thanks

4. Quinton

Quinton Member

Everything else works fine , I'm unable to test anything , thanks

5. AndreiMadness125

AndreiMadness125 Member

I would guess (but don't quote me on this) that if other lights and electrical components work fine, then it's an isolated problem, suggesting a faulty flasher relay, but wait for other folks to contribute suggestions first before ordering a replacement.

6. BigHeavy

BigHeavy Member

Rides:
    Kymco AgilityCity125
    Without testing we wont know for sure, Pick yourself up a multimeter its a tool you will use again and again. A half decent one can be had for £20. Invest in the tools and theyll look after you when you need them.

But it does sound like the indicator relay is faulty when it gets too much charge going to it.

7. Quinton

Quinton Member

Yeah I think it is, as it is even more so when reving and riding as apposed to ticking over

8. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Clean the earth's and lives for the indicators.
    When you are stationary nothing is moving, when you are riding everything is moving.
    There is a possibility that the reg/rec could be faulty but then it would start to blow the other bulbs in the bike through excess voltage production.
    I'm presuming that these are standard indicators with normal bulbs of the correct wattage and not led ones?

9. Quinton

Quinton Member

Yeah all normal bulbs etc, no blown bulbs or fuses, just fast flashing when revved up and riding, thanks

10. Quinton

Quinton Member

I've had a look through my haynes manual trying to find the indicator relay and it says that the turn signal relay is integrated into the ICU which is also the immobiliser, I don't think it's a serviceable part, so what I thought would cost around a tenner might now cost me £150 for a new one, does anyone have any ideas if I can fix the one on my bike?

11. BigHeavy

BigHeavy Member

Rides:
    Kymco AgilityCity125
    From what I can see online its a sealed unit so unlikely though id wait til someone more experienced can answer

Quinton likes this.
  12. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

You can wire your own circuit into the bike.
    Disconnect all the indicator (+)'s, leave the earth's in place. Disconnect the indicator switch plug on the bars.
    Grab an indicator relay (2 pole), one wire (fused) from battery to relay, then from the other pin on the relay to centre pin on the switch.
    Each pin (left & right of centre) on the switch relates to each side of the (bikes) indicators.
    Then a wire from the each side of the switch to each front indicators (L+R), and a wire from each front indicator to the rear indicator.
    Do not try and use the bikes loom for the indicators as it will not work using this method.

Total cost about £10 in relay, wire and connectors.
    Put an 10 amp in-line fuse between the battery and relay.

IMG_20180623_085832.jpg

2 stroke lover likes this.
  13. Quinton

Quinton Member

Brilliant stuff, nicely explained, good diagram, thanks so much, Q