ideal exhaust sports exhaust replacement ?

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by Tamiyacowboy, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    Just blown a huge hole in my leo vince TT exhaust for a sym jet 2t

the hole is about the size of a £2 coin ( slightly bigger) and is where the downpipe meets the expansion chamber , exhaust is in a bad way to a lotta rust and flaking rust. so i am worried that taking a hot welder to the pipe could cause even more damage or make it more weaker in other areas.

ideal i would like to replace with another TT pipe BUT i cannot find them in uk only overseas from germany and at a £130 cost ( english sites not in stock £90 ). ideal to fit a new leo vince because bikes already tuned to the TT pipe .

so people what would you replace the knackered Vince TT with max price range £120, must really be a drop in and run ( taking into account bikes tuned to a vince tt already ).

Update: heres what i found, Teknigas trek chrome - teknigas pro silent (stock look) - and possible a stage 6 ( says wont work unless a 70 kit fitted)
    been told the trek will out preform the vince TT i had fitted ? is this some what true.
    yasuni c16 just to expensive and wont fit my scoot.
    been told leo vince went into recievership in 2013 so most do not source from them and stocks are fizzling out ( why its hard to get a ZX-r /TT replacement pipe ).
    bikes in for a multivar 2000 upgrade in january so looking to kind of enhance what i have now

Any help / advice here im off the road and need bike for cardiac appointments over the winter months

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  2. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    Well i had to just get something so stumped with a chrome tencigas Trek , was inspecting the vice pipe and put my thumb through the downpipe close to the manifold , its shot right out in parts its paper thin you can hear its really thin by giving it a coin tap test.

it was either the tenicgas or a stock pipe. but even the stock pipe had a week delivery wait, so i went and grabbed the only thing in stock i could find with a free next day delivery. just hope i dont have to go and do all the re-jetting and variator balancing again my wallets been eaten and when shaken moths dead moths fall out lol.

3. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

I would have suggested the Technigas myself, but not the chrome one.
    The chroming is way too thin, and I can guarantee that within 6 months you will start painting it black just to cover up the rust spots.

4. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    thanks stevep

yeah i spent a couple hours trawling web for dyno readouts , the trek only just outpreforms the TT and ZX ZXR pipes, but reviews and likes called it the tecnibank (replace the b with a w). that saying its peaking power at around 9.3k and my vince was peaking at around that area to but i was loosing a lot down low from the 8g x6g staggered roller setup , would pull off with about 8k rpm then it would just drop out and only start to peak up after 32mph and by 47mph i was in over reving like crazy.

so have decided to come down to 5g or 5.5 gram in hope i can hold around 9k rpm and keep the powerband open. its got a good spread from 8k to around 9k then falls off at around 10.5k
    max hp is like just shy 8hp@9.3k on the rpm and dropping to 6hp @10.5k , i would guess on the vince i am peaking at around 7.5hp so look to gain around half a hp or more.

went chrome as i can keep ontop of it a bit better , some chrome polish when i wash the scoot, once i see surface rust i will decamp the pipe, run over it with some cutting agent and HTP coat it with a HT clearcoat . was either the trek or the more stealthy street pro pipe ( stock look but a half wave expansion inside it) but the trek just had more hp i could maybe use.
    Was a shame i could not get another leo vince i did like that pipe.

5. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    Well its a different scooter now.

first off the leo vince. nice pipe and made a ton of power, this power came in high up in the rpm and the pipe for sure had a smaller powerband spread, from like 8,500rpm to around 9,300rpm and it would snap right in. over 30mph the bike would start to pick up quick and by max speed your already maxed out on rpm and somewhat over revving but that inital burst from 30-45mph you knew you had the power.
    great pipe shame its so hard to come by these days, but it can be a pain in the rear to get the roller weights right. 6g weights still lacked low end hill power 5g would have been to light, anything staggered like high 8g and 6g just made the climb ability worse but extended the rpm range on top end.

So today we fitted up the little sym jet basix/eurox with a Tecnigas Trek , same stock variator/clutch, running on a naraku belt and the same 3x6g rollers coupled with 3x8g rollers (remember in the leo vince setup these just didnt work right), we left the carb tune exactly how it was with the leo vince fitted this was just a straight pipe chop n swap.

Acoustics ( sound) , starting up little pedro my first words to mech were " wow that sounds different" . now maybe the leo vince was old and kinda blocked up from years of carbon soot build up, but the trek had a nice sound , Fresh is the word me and the mech came to, sounds sweet when your idle and when your running , well you do not hear much through a caberg stunt skid lid apart from the wind lol. but it sounds good, when you roll off the throttle down hill you hear that very familiar ting ting ring of a two stroke pipe, its not exactly loud but its not quiet either but will pass an mot. out of ten i would say its a 7 , the vince i would have gave an 8

Looks (eyecandy) , it looks nice when your standing around 6-8ft away its chromed expansion and the mat black muffler look the part BUT dont let this fool you, close up that chrome coating is nanometers thick and looks ugly, think polished alloy but its chrome. .. thin on the expansion chamber but thicker up by the manifold and the rear pig curl leading to the end baffle/muffler. it looks nice on the scooter BUT does sit futher out than the vince did, so if you flatside the bike down your going to take out the rear muffler and that chromed expansion chamber ( yeah dont fall off !!! ) , so here out of ten i marked it down i gave it a 6 because of the poor chroming . a hight temp clearcoat will help protect that pipe even more if not just keep ontop of it with a decent chrome cleaner and sealer.

POWER , yeah this is what your all waiting for , well its different, from 0-30 you just go its not a crawl like the vince did its you go, from 30-45 there is not peak in HP it produces the power in a very easy way its very smooth and just pulls and pulls to max rpm , remember this is with 3x6g and 3x8g rollers, the wide powerband spread is very forgiving for newbies to tune the variator even with a big mistake like to heavy rollers, it does slack a little up on the hills with this roller setting but it pulls you at 25mph and will build if the road flattens out for around 50m, from there on it will keep producing HP all the way up to around 45mph. the weird thing very little over revving unlike what the leo vince gave me.. to get the best i would drop down to say 6g rollers and maybe add a 1k contrast spring (contra spring) into the rear pully to help when you roll off and onto the throttle bringing the lower range in more quicker and not holding a high range ratio. Clutch wise you want this to open out at around 5000-6000rpm for a very snappy pull away, its swift with a stock clutch but for a snap holeshot on a derestricted 50cc a higher clutch rpm will be better.

Did it add more hp ? : its hard to tell without putting pedro on a dyno and trying to source another leo vince TT but i will stab at a guess and say YES i think i have gained about .5hp over the leo vince pipe with a wider powerband spread it does out preform the leo vince on a derestricted zip in stock form on dyno producing 6hp compared to the vinces 5.75hp. remember this is not 2t zip or aerox its a sym jet but its made it a differnet scooter and you notice it. the best part is that wider powerband spread its more forgiving on variator weight tuning mistakes and thats a plus for new younger tuners. around 8000-9300 rpm compared to the vinces 8500-9300 its got a little bit of rpm play

how much was it: well going price for a chrome pipe was £109 with a free delivery so your looking at around 80-95£ for a standard no chrome.

was it restricted : the pipe i received was NOT restricted , but some treks are sold restricted this is a single manifold restriction only so a dremmel and some sand paper with a screwdriver will remove it. again its not loud but its not exactly quiet when your hauling throttle.

i liked the vince pipe it was more like the bikes i used to ride when i was a young lad in the 80'90's , given the chance i would have installed another vince. BUT that said i cannot fault the trek it was a bolt on replacement that needed no extra carb tuning and did change the way the bike took off and picked up, more smoother on the powerband and for a newcomer to tuning more easy to tune with variator weights for a better holeshot snap and pull , but you would want to maximize the best with a contra spring upgrade and a clutch spring upgrade.

It gets a 8 out of 10 because of the poor chrome otherwise it would be a 9-10 . for ease of newcomer tuning with that power spread

6. sean178

sean178 Active Member

Nice write up mate, something to keep in mind for when i need to replace the "already very 2nd hand" pipe on the blaster [emoji106]

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016