Hyosung SD50 Fully Custom build.

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by edge2k, Sep 2, 2008.

1. edge2k

edge2k New Member

Hows it goin everyone, new to the site found the forums while i was at work, thought i would put my project up here since there isnt many places over here in florida that really have anything for scooters.

So comming in at 174 pounds with a moderate yet respectable 4hp engine i bought and hyosung sense sd50 (49cc) scooter a few months ago because it was SUCH a good deal (it always is) and to take some of the stress off the wallet driving a small
    suv and all, so when that all went out the window and i realized how much stuff i have piled up in the house i figured why not put it on a scooter??? cool.gif

so heres a fresh new picture the day i bought it, bright yellow to of corse.

[​IMG]

so i figure iv always wanted to try and seperate a face plate from a radio, so why not mold it into the scooter so i used an old tshirt because i didnt need something as thick as fleece and i super glued a thin bead around the faceplate (after removing all the electronics and pcb parts) and tacked the shirt to it once it dried i used some epoxy to hold the faceplate in the cutout i made in the angle i was going for.

heres the before pic
    [​IMG]

this is after i brushed on resin over the shirt and let it harden i used some bondo glass to strengthen the outer edges of the face and to fill in the old cd slot opening.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

once i got it sanded fairly smoothe it only took a little bit of body filler to fill in the small pits and get it smoothe enough for my liking, i hit it with some 1k primer to check for imperfections in a solid color

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

since the radio face came out fairly good i was happy with the experiment figure wow hey that wasnt to bad lets try to do something abou the big wonky brake light it came with.

user posted image[​IMG]
    not kosher, not at all..

so at autozone tinkering i found some cool grille lights 10 leds in each piece, they come in a pair so i picked them up planning to replace the old brake light with them, so i removed the old light and panel. the opening turned out being the exact width as the lights (perfect) so since they were glued together with no screws i scored the edges with a razor and pick and poped them apart and took the back pieces and epoxyd them to the corners of the light opening.

now after i had them in place where i wanted.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

since there was an edge around the front that let the clear lens sit into a lip i didnt want to change that so i took a shirt glued it around the outer edges of the panel so it was tight against the light casings, i layed down some tin foil and sprayed it with pam and set the panel upside down and put a brick on the back of the light casing to press them tight against the shirt on the foil so when i brushed on the resin it wouldn't seep over the edge.

gave it a quick sand, put some body filler over it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

sprayed with 1k primer
    [​IMG]tested

the fitment of the lights again
    [​IMG]

if anyone wants to check out the video of the lights heres the direct link, for running lights they are solid, and when i hit the brake they alternate opposite of each other.

http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m102 ... 010154.flv

when i checked the air filter it basically looked like some one used it to scrape grease off an engine, that was in the sand... and i couldn't find a replacement online anywhere so instead of replacing a not so good filter, at autozone again i picked up a pcv filter and about 8 inched of radiator hose and some hose clamps. so i pulled off the airbox entirely breaking a few pieces of it lol and forced the radiator hose over the air intake and clamped it and did the same with the filter.

[​IMG]

the nos sticker was my idea ... so watch out fools i run 9's rofl

anyway...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

so a quick fix to a simple problem, for less then half the cost of a "performance" intake online which was a filter half the size anyway for more cashola.

Ill post some more pics and progress later tonight, iv gotten alot more done but i have to run out.

untill then

-Edge

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so with allll the extra room under the seat now hey perfect spot for a small air compressor, i made a simple right angle bracket and used bolts to sttach it to the under seat framing and cut a u shape on the bottom side of the bracket so it doesnt squish the filter or hose at its max low..ness..?

[​IMG]

which is for but of corse nothing else then .. the grover stutter tone authentic fire engine air horn from http://www.airhornsoftexas.com

i still have to order it but iv already measured and i can fit it under the right side floor stretching all the way from the under seat poking out right behind the wheel well just perfectly and concealed.

updates to come on that....

going back down to visit friends and family i stumbled upon some powerbass components 6.5" that is, and had to get them.. nothing better then a deal on something you can use right then. so i took the tops of the tweeter mounts and cut out holes a little bigger then them on the sides of the gauges, epoxy'd them at the angle i liked and once they were sturdy enough smooshed a good amount of bondo glass in and around the edge, sanded them down and smoothed them out with some body filler and primered them.

sorry for not taking in between pics on this one

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

since i was fixing the factory wiring and upgrading the tiny tiny power/gnd main wires i moved the battery wired to the under seat compartment and fit everything in its soon to be permanent place

once its in place permanently im making a fiberglass coverpiece to flush everything in and hide what i dont want to be seen.

[​IMG]

while i was in there and in all the wiring i figure, hey why not put an alarm on here its a warlock something or other iv had foreever.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    hood pin under the seat, no stealing...

shock sensor by the key hole for the under seat area.

[​IMG]

and a starter kill at the key cyl.

siren underneath the floor but still above the frame

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

well the next thing i decide, something has to be done with that boring oversized primary cover

[​IMG]
    i mean its huge and plain ew..

and its only covering this extra space

[​IMG]

so all that open space needs to be used biggrin.gif so the circle area where the hyosung print is, i cut out a circle and left about a 1/4" lip on the edge, picked up some lexan thin about 1/8" from home depot for abnout 2.50$ not to bad. enough i can mess up once and make another.

i sand and grind slowly on the inside untill my lexan circle window fits flush against the new opening i made once it was fit right i epoxy'd it down and sanded the back with 220 i think on the orbital. i found a sweet decal online that was perfect for this application i think printed it out and taped it onto the front of the lexan, cut it out on the lexan and used the tape as the stencil and spray painted it black to transfer my image.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

cmon.. if theres a frosty window there needs to be leds of corse... 4 leds on the inside was enough to make this thing glow brightly.

[​IMG]

came out pretty good i think.

also tried red, but blue is always cooler

[​IMG]

since were already on the lights i took apart a galls police headlight "wig wag" flasher apart from work (model FS039) which you can find here

http://www.galls.com/style.html?style=F ... al_catalog

tossed the caseing, tossed the switch just sodered the contacts together so instead of having a giant wonky red switch i can just use my own switched input to trigger power to the relay module from up front.

heres a video of it before i modified the switch and stuff.

ignore the weird excited/creepy/grunty laugh

http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m102 ... 010130.flv

This scooter needs some LEDS =D!!!

130 to be exact...

100 blue 10mm diffused leds, its painfully boring sitting and sodering 100 tiny resisters onto 100 tiny leads.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

at least i was getting paid to do this biggrin.gif since the shop is empty because of the hurricane.

gpt the component woofer rings mounted and my fleece stapled tonight, im happy with the shape, im going to take the front panel of to glass it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

put a thin coat of resin on the outside to harden my shape

[​IMG]

after the resin hardened i turned this piece over and put soaked the resin all the way through the inside of the fleece so it hardens solid, i didnt end up needing to reinforce it with any fiberglass matte because its already stromger then the plastic was.

i put some body filler over the rough sanded middle areas, i still need to go back and put some bondoglass around the edges to strengthen and smoothe them out.

[​IMG]

welp, thats about as far as iv been able to get so far with the last hirricane and running low on supplies, i alreday ordered 5 gallons of resin for another bigger project so i should have enough left over to finish everything else on this thing.

let me know what you think so far.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i filled in most of the rough edges and big gaps with bondoglass (i know it isnt the best product to use but its what i have available, if i had my choice i would be using duraglass) anywho... its still rough in and around some of the tight spots and edges where i stapled around the screw holes.

[​IMG]

i sprayed a coat of 1k primer over the panel so i can see all the small imperfections to make sure that i sand them all down.

[​IMG]

this is the can primer i use, its the best that i have found i get i from the local paint store.
    [​IMG]

If i had the time i would order and use 2k primer from http://www.kustomshop.com i dont know if that would help you guys overseas but the prices are good and they have a huuuuge supply of auto paints and products.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i filled in most of the rough edges and big gaps with bondoglass (i know it isnt the best product to use but its what i have available, if i had my choice i would be using duraglass) anywho... its still rough in and around some of the tight spots and edges where i stapled around the screw holes.

[​IMG]

i sprayed a coat of 1k primer over the panel so i can see all the small imperfections to make sure that i sand them all down.

[​IMG]

this is the can primer i use, its the best that i have found i get i from the local paint store.
    [​IMG]

If i had the time i would order and use 2k primer from http://www.kustomshop.com i dont know if that would help you guys overseas but the prices are good and they have a huuuuge supply of auto paints and products.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok i got the carb off and took off the piece after and inside the pipe there isnt any reduction in size?

[​IMG]

Is there anything i need to do inside here? it doesnt look like i can really alter anything.

[​IMG]

Other then that, i trimmed off the giant mudflap/liscense plate holder flush with the bodyline, im going to flush in the plate once my resin gets here. it looks tons better now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Heres a shot of the seat i redid in carbon fiber vinyl i didnt take before and the 3.5L air tank sticking out of the underseat storage.

[​IMG]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well i havent been able to do much lately but iv been sanding and fixing some little things here and there, hopefully im just going to start putting it back together ( i had a little problem with fuel leaking out of the intake but i think i got it settled now.

i changed my color scheme its a little cheaper this way, should be less then 50usd to do the whole thing its using ocean blue and silver metal specks paint from the auto paint store, it is an aerosol but im going to spray about 8 or so coats of nice automotive clear with a spray gun once i get all the panels painted.

Anyway, blue and silver... new color scheme, i tested it out on the gauge panel and i love the color, i just need to touch up a few imperfections to get it smoother, heres the blue color its the same color i painted my xbox with and got the idea from. :rofl:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Pwn machine :p

I did on scooterattack, sip scootershop, scooter tronics, provo scooter (only has exhaust gasket) and some other smaller sites i found through Google no one seems to have any replacement parts or even that many performance parts in general for this model. :rant:

..im at a loss here, iv gotten it running again though it doesn't want to stay running from a cold start occasionally but its a start, iv have a few panels sprayed already and the rest are ready for primer, a buddy is going to make me some decals with his vinyl cutter heres some progress, should have the painting and clear done by the end of the weekend
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

but if any one could help me out with the caliper assembly, some how when i took the front wheel off to remove the plastics all the pieces in the caliper sort of fell out and i hadn't looked at it before to see how it goes back together so (being a complete retard) i cant seem to figure it out i can get what looks like back together but every time the disc never fits exactly between the brake pads and it always rubs :confused: so if anyone has some pics or anything to reference the way the pads and little metal clip pieces fit together it would help me out soooo much.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Got motivated today suprisingly with a high of 97°F but made some progress

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got all the broken and cracked panels glassed today, got some more sanding done and started molding in the siren speaker, its starting to look like a scooter again =).

2. RY4N172

RY4N172 New Member

lmao i love that stereo idea

good luck with the project mate !

3. DYS VTR

DYS VTR New Member

Rides:
    skanky cRaKwhoR3s
    nice 1 m8 :beer: like the radio idea also.

but wot is Aunt Jemima?

4. Jefr0-180

Jefr0-180 Active Member

Oooo that's looking good, I like the t-shirt idea, any more info on that?

Didn't stay yellow for long lol

5. DYS VTR

DYS VTR New Member

Rides:
    skanky cRaKwhoR3s
    alot of people use the t shrit method when building boot builds for cars, have a looksie on some car forums ;)

6. edge2k

edge2k New Member

alot of the time i use fleece for making my shapes before i strengthen them with fiberglass, but i didnt need a very thick material so the shirt or panty hose is a thin easy material to work with (that takes less sanding to)

yellow is boring :D, iv already bought the paint im using PPG i have a 2 part shimmery gunmetal silver, and a very wet looking deep blue, i had them put into aerosol cans at the auto paint store and im using real ppg automotive clear coat once its all ready to be shot.
    [/quote]

7. edge2k

edge2k New Member

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: what is aunt jamima!!!! lol i guess you guys dont have that syrup brand over there, either way... its great stuff.

8. DYS VTR

DYS VTR New Member

Rides:
    skanky cRaKwhoR3s
    nice, get some pics up when its done ;) , is it 2 or 4 stroke?

9. edge2k

edge2k New Member

so with allll the extra room under the seat now hey perfect spot for a small air compressor, i made a simple right angle bracket and used bolts to sttach it to the under seat framing and cut a u shape on the bottom side of the bracket so it doesnt squish the filter or hose at its max low..ness..?

[​IMG]

which is for but of corse nothing else then .. the grover stutter tone authentic fire engine air horn from www.airhornsoftexas.com

i still have to order it but iv already measured and i can fit it under the right side floor stretching all the way from the under seat poking out right behind the wheel well just perfectly and concealed.

updates to come on that....

going back down to visit friends and family i stumbled upon some powerbass components 6.5" that is, and had to get them.. nothing better then a deal on something you can use right then. so i took the tops of the tweeter mounts and cut out holes a little bigger then them on the sides of the gauges, epoxy'd them at the angle i liked and once they were sturdy enough smooshed a good amount of bondo glass in and around the edge, sanded them down and smoothed them out with some body filler and primered them.

sorry for not taking in between pics on this one

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

since i was fixing the factory wiring and upgrading the tiny tiny power/gnd main wires i moved the battery wired to the under seat compartment and fit everything in its soon to be permanent place

once its in place permanently im making a fiberglass coverpiece to flush everything in and hide what i dont want to be seen.

[​IMG]

while i was in there and in all the wiring i figure, hey why not put an alarm on here its a warlock something or other iv had foreever.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    hood pin under the seat, no stealing...

shock sensor by the key hole for the under seat area.

[​IMG]

and a starter kill at the key cyl.

siren underneath the floor but still above the frame

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

well the next thing i decide, something has to be done with that boring oversized primary cover

[​IMG]
    i mean its huge and plain ew..

and its only covering this extra space

[​IMG]

so all that open space needs to be used biggrin.gif so the circle area where the hyosung print is, i cut out a circle and left about a 1/4" lip on the edge, picked up some lexan thin about 1/8" from home depot for abnout 2.50$ not to bad. enough i can mess up once and make another.

i sand and grind slowly on the inside untill my lexan circle window fits flush against the new opening i made once it was fit right i epoxy'd it down and sanded the back with 220 i think on the orbital. i found a sweet decal online that was perfect for this application i think printed it out and taped it onto the front of the lexan, cut it out on the lexan and used the tape as the stencil and spray painted it black to transfer my image.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

cmon.. if theres a frosty window there needs to be leds of corse... 4 leds on the inside was enough to make this thing glow brightly.

[​IMG]

came out pretty good i think.

also tried red, but blue is always cooler

[​IMG]

since were already on the lights i took apart a galls police headlight "wig wag" flasher apart from work (model FS039) which you can find here

http://www.galls.com/style.html?style=F ... al_catalog

tossed the caseing, tossed the switch just sodered the contacts together so instead of having a giant wonky red switch i can just use my own switched input to trigger power to the relay module from up front.

heres a video of it before i modified the switch and stuff.

ignore the weird excited/creepy/grunty laugh

http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m102 ... 010130.flv

This scooter needs some LEDS =D!!!

130 to be exact...

100 blue 10mm diffused leds, its painfully boring sitting and sodering 100 tiny resisters onto 100 tiny leads.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

at least i was getting paid to do this biggrin.gif since the shop is empty because of the hurricane.

gpt the component woofer rings mounted and my fleece stapled tonight, im happy with the shape, im going to take the front panel of to glass it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

put a thin coat of resin on the outside to harden my shape

[​IMG]

after the resin hardened i turned this piece over and put soaked the resin all the way through the inside of the fleece so it hardens solid, i didnt end up needing to reinforce it with any fiberglass matte because its already stromger then the plastic was.

i put some body filler over the rough sanded middle areas, i still need to go back and put some bondoglass around the edges to strengthen and smoothe them out.

[​IMG]

welp, thats about as far as iv been able to get so far with the last hirricane and running low on supplies, i alreday ordered 5 gallons of resin for another bigger project so i should have enough left over to finish everything else on this thing.

let me know what you think so far.

10. edge2k

edge2k New Member

its only a 2 stroke, iv just recently gotten into the scooter scene so i found a really good deal on this one locally, so i didnt want to pass it up, i figured i could have some fun and learn a little more about small engines at the same time.

11. RY4N172

RY4N172 New Member

i love it lol

really good

12. DYS VTR

DYS VTR New Member

Rides:
    skanky cRaKwhoR3s
    ye, 2 stroke is much better than 4 stroke on low cc bikes imo, any tuning going to be done? or is the engine staying standard?

13. edge2k

edge2k New Member

In the future, i do want to rejet it, get a 70 cc cylender upgrade kit, im going to modify a small motorcycle exhaust to fit this mostly for style but im sure it will help anyway then the stock pipe, a better, bigger 107mm clutch, variator, belt, backing plate and weights nothinc to crazy as far as that, and removing any clutch restrictions of corse lol.

im not to much into this scooter for speed, mostly for maintaining speed and torque up hills and stuff, since i have a motorcycle for longer cruises where i need to keep up with highway traffic.

14. RojAEROX

RojAEROX New Member

ha this is awesome already

going to be insane when youre finished with it :w00t:

15. numanoid1704

numanoid1704 New Member

nice

hi,nice to see someone doing something really different :D

16. edge2k

edge2k New Member

Re: nice

:cool: thanks, iv seen so many stereo ideas on scooters before but everything has always been kind of the same under the seat radio with 2 5.25's... i just wanted to try and maby start some new ideas and maby give other people some different creative directions and to show that it doesn't take a lot of money to do something insane as long as youve got time and patience... annnnd a tiny bit of talent helps to lol

17. Sw1fT

Sw1fT Active Member

Rides:
    200SX S13
    looks excellent, i really like the ideas behind it, i take it weight isnt an issue for you? because a head unit, speakers, all the extra wiring, a compressor, lights, horns etc are all gonna weigh something, and possibly require a battery upgrade for that matter, because frankly, scooter batteries, especially from this manufacturer, arent good at taking high loads, the stator system is quite weak and so i can see a lot of kickstarting going on.

if weight isnt an issue, upgrade the battery to a bigger one, if not just get a gel battery and try and lose the weight elsewhere.

really good project though, i like the innovative ideas and the fact that there is movement quite quickly, hopefully there will be another update soon?

18. edge2k

edge2k New Member

good point, i didnt think abnout mentioning that eariler weight isnt TOO much of an issue for me, but iv compromised by at least taking off as many metal pieces as i didnt need ie, (kickstart, dual kicks tand, metal brackets for things i wont use like the storage box, basically iv taken enough weight to cover what iv put on but the battery thing is true, i upgraded all of the tiny 16gauge wireing to 10 gauge and im planning on getting a 800cca drycell battery from
    [​IMG]
    http://kinetikaudio.com/hc600.asp kinetik, i use their bigger batteries in my car (dual 2600cca batts) and i havent found anythiing better, they have an extreamly low draw to charge, can run dead flat with out damage and give full output untill drained. So it is a little pricey but i need something reliable with power on demand and a friend is a dealer =D!!

19. Vesta

Vesta New Member

Wow this is an amazing built (Y) Good look cant wait to see the out come :w00t:

Didn't think scooter tuning was big in the US ?

20. edge2k

edge2k New Member

iti isnt lol, which is why i ended up with a chinese clunker as my first scoot almost impossible to find tuning parts, only found anything decent online mostly frim sip scootershop and scootertronics but its in my dna, i have to modify anything i have =/ which can get expensive....

But its all worth it :D