How would you handle this left-hand turn with drain covers?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by DanielCoffey, Dec 20, 2017.

1. DanielCoffey

DanielCoffey New Member

Rides:
    Scomadi TL125
    Hello folks. Since I am a new rider (CBT passed, new rider on a 125 scooter) I would like to ask how you would handle this left-hand turn with smooth drain covers in the "normal" turning line without coming a cropper?

The junction on Google Maps is this one in Mauchline, East Ayrshire... https://goo.gl/maps/3tE532MwymC2

I would be heading south-west down Loudon Street which is a slightly narrow road with parked cars on the left as you approach the junction with Barskimming Road which is fairly quiet except for frequent lorries. I would want to turn left into Barskimming Road.

The catch is that right where I would want to make the turn are two metal 900mm comms covers which are polished fairly smooth by the traffic next to some rough and partly broken road surface.

As a cyclist I had two choices... go on the inside of the turn between the double yellow lines and the nearest drain cover or go wide and avoid the drain cover but go over the rough tarmac. I know the metal is likely to be either greasy or wet, a nasty combination.

On the scooter I would need to make the turn wide outside the drain covers but the traffic emerging from Barskimming Road wanting to turn right often straddles the central line to permit cars behind them to turn left. There are fairly often large vehicles too.

Here are some pictures of the direction I need to travel and also a closer look at the offending metal covers. The full version of each picture is 2560x1440, 500Kb each.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

How, in a step by step fashion, would you explain to a rider to handle this turn safely?

Thanks,

Daniel.

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  2. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    You need to figure your apex (turning point) & peel into the turn,you don't always position yourself dead centre of the road when heading into a turn.
    Be wary of turning/braking on the the cover &/or catching the edges.

3. DanielCoffey

DanielCoffey New Member

Rides:
    Scomadi TL125
    Thanks for the reply. When I was cycling the route in the other direction once I saw a threesome of road bike cyclists and the back one went over the metal and his back wheel just went out from under him so I realise the corner needs special attention.

The CBT instructor was telling me that for a normal left turn, I should move inward to 1m from the kerb after signalling in order to visually indicate to following motorists that I was about to make a left turn but in this case I think that line would make the corner too tight to avoid the covers easily. I would be inclined to approach the turn at a wider angle.

If you look at the third picture you can see the rubber on the road from large vehicles turning across my line. They have scrubbed marks on the tarmac from the rear cutting across. I think if I see a lorry making the turn I ought to stop and wait for him to complete the manouver rather than try to squeeze through over the metalwork.

Does all that sound sensible?

4. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    For safety's sake let larger vehicles go 1st - you need to take into account that most have a blind spot in regards to seeing other vehicles in particular smaller vehicles such as cyclist's/motorcycles.!.;).

5. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Firstly, if the vehicle exiting the junction is across the white line, they are in contrary to road traffic regulations. As for having regards to vehicles turning left (on their inside, if they are turning right) that is again something that would not be taken into acount in any situation that would occur.
    When making any manouver, you position yourself correctly taking into account the road conditions, traffic, weather, and safety of yourself and others.
    If you need to avoid an obstacle or hazard during the manouver, you position yourself accordingly, adjust your speed accordingly, if that means staying in the middle of road to avoid a possible incident or causing an accident, then that is what is required.
    It all comes from looking forward (Aiming High in driving terms), assessing the road ahead and planning for it.

6. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    truck or likes i would take a defensive middle road hold up allow them to come out first, i would then signal for the left turn but still keep somewhat middle road, enter the corner so im close but not touching those drain covers . this way your blocking anyone form trying to undertake you into that corner , your in a defensive riding stance holding your own to the road ahead and behind. anyone wanting to pass HAS to go into oncoming lane .

7. DanielCoffey

DanielCoffey New Member

Rides:
    Scomadi TL125
    Thanks folks - it is great to get these ideas and I really appreciate it.

I have been a driver (and frequent cyclist) for around 25 years so I felt this was a badly designed corner anyway and just needed to know how a new biker should deal with it on a scooter. It is really good to get the view from experienced riders.

I am lucky enough to have a neighbour who is an active biker and I showed this junction to him. His first question was "Do you HAVE to go that way? The junction is horrible." In other words, stop thinking like a cyclist looking for the shortest and quietest route and start linking like a motorised road user. Range will be much less important to me now. He suggested I use my regular route only once just for the familiarity of the turns while I get used to the handling of the new scooter then to find an alternative route that avoids that junction all together. Focus on learning the machine first then a new route next time.