how to paint on plastic???

Discussion in 'Visual Modifications' started by driant, Aug 2, 2009.

1. driant

driant New Member

does anyone know how to paint on plastic?? a friend of mine told me that the paint job would be unstable and breake from the body. i want to know if it is possible to paint on plastic with longlasting results, and how to do it. thanks

2. nibbles

nibbles Active Member

read up m8 search

3. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    its amazing how many quyestions opn here could just be googled..... or searched for...

paint, if you have to ask you CANT do it...

4. 172sonny

172sonny New Member

agree on searching, but go easy minor im sure u never knew anything about it at some point, just like all of us..anyway mate rub the plastic down just like you would any other surface use a good decent plastic primer first then paint straight after, obviously use a normal primer in between plastic primer and colour, another tip i would say is if your pretty confident your primer wont need major blocking(smooth already) then halfords do a plastic primer that is grey in colour rather than the usual clear, couple coats of that then a light wet sand and your good to go whenever i paint scooter panels that arnt scratched i use that
    hope ive helped :good:

5. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    only thning i would add to this is sand the FUCK out of the pans fgirst to make them all ~"fury" as the inners are abs plastic. it doesent like paint so your basicly making lots of surface/anchoring for the paint to stick too... just dont bend them once there painted.

but ye, plenty on painting on here already, plenty PROFESSIONAL painting forums. just treat the inners as bumpers and the pannels as plastic wings. will find everything you need through google tbh as theres only 1 or 2 so say pro sprayers on the site.

6. 172sonny

172sonny New Member

agree on that

i would disagree on making them furry though thats the last thing you want to do use a 500 grade disk on a da to sand innersbut make sure everything is keyed up well, dont let them go furry though its not a big problem but it meas heavy filler priming them and wet flatting them after totally un needed if you do it properly. tbh its worthless asking how to paint on a scooter forum as chances are 99.9% of the members have little or no clue to what there on about, as minor has said a thousand times before if u want a nice proper job take it to a proffesional :good:

7. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    ye the heavy filler primer needed to cover the "furr" holds the stuff on abs...half of what i used to do was paint abs plastic.. well, paint/weld and generally fuck about with the stuff. it WONT hold paint for more than a year unless you HEAVY key it

8. 172sonny

172sonny New Member

9 times out of 10 it lasts a couple speedhumps over 20mph and thats it, waste of time on any road going bike tbh plus its so over done now lol

9. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    i personally wouldent ever paint abs if it were my choice.. especially anything wiht any kind fo flex to it. maybe if it had some fibreglass behind and a again lots of filler primer.. but ye, dont get the point in painting inners.. i like a bit of dull on a bike, makes the nice bits look nicer

10. 172sonny

172sonny New Member

couldnt agree more especially if the inners are fresh

11. Stig

Stig Well-Known Member

Rides:
    EXUP1000
    another option would be to add plasticize to the paint in order to allow it to flex :good:

12. 172sonny

172sonny New Member

still your puttin weight on it arnt you? it always cracks weather its a week or a year it cracks

13. Bullet125sp

Bullet125sp New Member

Rides:
    125 SP
    simple fact is inners arent there to be painted, otherwise they would have been originally. thats why the paint wil always crack eventually no matter what you do.

14. theheap

theheap New Member

use plastiprimer

15. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    no, its 3mm abs [plastic... it WONT adhere... nothing will make it stick. NOTHING.
    again, painted the shit for a living, needed to be 8mm thick to stop the flexing that causes the chipping of the paint, no paint is as flexable as abs plastic.. hence it will crack

they use abs as its hard wearing and SOFT.. this means it doesent crack easily, is verry durable and if you do manage to break it it wont "grow"

the rear numberplate light surround on a typh is abs.. it holds paint just fine wiht normal primer.. its also 3mm.... wanna know why paint stay's on there? because it doesent haver FEET all over it bending it daily.

just no, dont paint innners... you REALLY want them painted then drill lots of holes in them,fibreglass skin them, then prime and paint as normal.. abs is NOT desighned to be painted. if it is ever painted its used in NON load bearing/flexing parts... ie NOT big pannels you rest your feet on